WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnufan

Dont count out the Lady Captains. Transfer Nikki Rowland (from Marymount) is leading a well balanced offensive attack at 18 ppg and 8 rpg. Candace Bryant, despite missing the first two games for disciplinary reasons is back with avengence. She dropped 24 and 9 at Mary Baldwin and is averaging 15 and 8. Samantha Davis' play has improved with the arrival of Rowland, she's averaging 13  and 6. Five players averaging 6 rebounds or better and seven players averaging 7 points or better. Other transfers include Jessica Carmon from Catawba, a 5-10 post player from Stafford, VA, Dee Luck, a 5-9 post player from Charlottesville who was previously at Peace and Shantel Burwell, a 5-8 jr. guard from VA Beach who came in from Elizabeth City St. Colandra Rollins returns for her sophomore season, she missed the final 8 games due to a knee injury. Should be an interesting year as they Lady Captains develop. They have VA Wesleyan Friday and at one point, nationally ranked Catholic on Sunday.

narch

Quote from: Goose13 on December 13, 2005, 10:30:24 AM
Dont count out the Lady Captains. Transfer Nikki Rowland (from Marymount) is leading a well balanced offensive attack at 18 ppg and 8 rpg. Candace Bryant, despite missing the first two games for disciplinary reasons is back with avengence. She dropped 24 and 9 at Mary Baldwin and is averaging 15 and 8. Samantha Davis' play has improved with the arrival of Rowland, she's averaging 13  and 6. Five players averaging 6 rebounds or better and seven players averaging 7 points or better. Other transfers include Jessica Carmon from Catawba, a 5-10 post player from Stafford, VA, Dee Luck, a 5-9 post player from Charlottesville who was previously at Peace and Shantel Burwell, a 5-8 jr. guard from VA Beach who came in from Elizabeth City St. Colandra Rollins returns for her sophomore season, she missed the final 8 games due to a knee injury. Should be an interesting year as they Lady Captains develop. They have VA Wesleyan Friday and at one point, nationally ranked Catholic on Sunday.
LOTS of transfers...

cnufan

And your point is?? She has never had this many transfers in her 7 + years at CNU. She had two from the 01-02 season thru 03-04. Im just curious as to what you meant by lots of transfers?? Is there something wrong with that??

narch

Quote from: Goose13 on December 14, 2005, 09:13:21 AM
And your point is?? She has never had this many transfers in her 7 + years at CNU. She had two from the 01-02 season thru 03-04. Im just curious as to what you meant by lots of transfers?? Is there something wrong with that??
my point is...LOTS of transfers...it's a simple observation, don't read anything into the comment that isn't there - some coaches choose to build programs differently...cnu has apparently decided to go with "LOTS of transfers", at least for this year...am i wrong??

cnufan

I think she chose to build around transfers while adding five true freshman to the fold of a team that returned just FOUR players from last year. So she had to do something. Transfers was one way to go, so was bringing in 8 freshman, she chose to go both routes, bringing in both transfers and freshman. I think she didnt want to take her lumps again for a second straight season. She knows she has to win every year and I think in order for her to compete with the Randolph-Macons, the Marymounts and the Mary Washingtons (who have improved significantly over the last couple seasons), she had to go out and bring in some seasoned players rather than 8 or 10 true freshman.

PrideFan1986

I dont know about all of you on here but I know that I am ready to get the conference stuff underway. I know that the top 3 spots this year are going to be really close but I do think that GC will pull out top. Staci Humphrey, Serlina Moore are carrying the team yes, but they have alot of good freshmen and returnrs that are carrying alot of the weight also. It will a really good conference battle but in the end I think it will come down to GC and CNU with The Pride coming out on top. What do yall think?

narch

ncwc is BAD...does anyone know why they are playing with just 7 players? it looked like they only had one injured

narch

i'll try my hand at this...i think this is how the weekend will turn out

cnu will go 1-1 (loss to gc, win vs. mc)
gc will go 2-0 (beat cnu and su)
pc will go 2-0 (beat au and fc...although the ferrum game is tough)
mc will go 1-1 (beat su, lose to cnu)
fc will go 1-1 (beat ncwc, lose to pc)
au will go 1-1 (beat ncwc, lose to pc)
su will go 0-2
ncwc will go 0-2

final standings/seeds will be:
1. gc 12-2
2. cnu 11-3
3. pc 9-5
4. mc 8-6
5. fc 7-7
6. au 5-9
7. su 4-10
8. ncwc 0-14

if ferrum beats pc this weekend AND mc goes 1-1, it could really make the #3,4,5 seed interesting...i think that pc would get the #3 seed, fc the #4 seed and mc the #5 seed if pc goes 1-1, mc goes 1-1 and fc goes 2-0...should be interesting

2122rspc

Those predictions look pretty good.  I saw the Greensboro/Peace game on Tuesday night and although Peace lost, they could beat GC.  GC played well though, especially Staci Humphrey.  I thought Tia Saunders would be POY but I think that honor will definitely go to Humphrey now.

PrideSportBBallGuy

Quote from: PrideSportBBallGuy on October 27, 2005, 04:52:26 PM

2005 USA South Women's Basketball Coaches Poll
Rank, Institution (1st place Votes), Pts.
1. Greensboro (3) 40
2. Christopher Newport (1) 39
3. Peace (2) 36
4. Methodist (1) 31
5. Shenandoah (1) 28
6. Averett 22
7. Ferrum 16
8. N.C. Wesleyan 11

I think that the top 3 are right, but 4-7 can be in any order.  Ferrum is underrated. yeah they lost Toland but they have just about everybody else.  Methodist is a bit overrated.  They are a good team, but there really isn't any super-stars, but they won't finish anywhere below 6.

I made my pre-season USASC First Team Predictions

Tia Saunders-Peace
Sirlena Moore-GC
Candace Bryant-CNU
Aline Alzine-FC
Staci Humprey-GC

Player of the Year-Tia Saunders
Anybody disagree?

It looks like i was about right on these picks at the beginning of the year.  I was off with Peace, but they did have the same conference record.  I knew Ferrum was underrated. I think my first team all-conference is dead on.  POY has to go to Staci Humphery.

insideoutside

:)Congratulations GC women's basketball on yet another out right regular season championship.  And to have accomplished this feat with only one starter from last season that  played the entire season is a testament to Coach Tuggle and his coaching staff.  And to think three freshman starters with three more years to play.  Is this the beginning of a conference dynasty under the direction of Jason Tuggle?

cnufan

Absolutley, congrats to the Pride for their regular season championship. They are a tough squad, but watching them play at CNU and then at GC, if Staci Humphrey is the least bit off, so is GC. She makes that team that much better when she is hitting her shots. I think she is definitely a lock for POY. I think your first team is right on as well. Tuggle should be COY in my mind, especially the job he has done with what returned or didnt return from last year's NCAA team. ROY, well, I dont think there is one frosh in the top 20 in scoring, then its Kristen Whitehurst, I think she's a frosh from Methodist, Mary Porter from GC and Brittany Lynn from PC. Should be interesting. But the quarterfinals are first on Tuesday and then All-Conference comes out Wednesday.

narch

goose - i meant to ask this over the weekend, but forgot - i arrived just as the ladies game ended on saturday, and saw the cnu women doing a chant at mid-court at mc - sounded like "whose house? our house!", or something like that...did you catch that? it looked pretty bush, to me, and i heard they did more of the same through the halls of the riddle center as they were heading back to the locker room...whatever happened to winning with class?

it also seems that the lady captains have a bit of a short memory...the last time they won in the riddle center was the 01-02 season and that was a 1-point overtime victory - furthermore, the lady monarchs won two games in freeman last year, so is freeman the lady monarchs house?

congrats to gc on another conference championship...impressive

PrideSportBBallGuy

Quote from: Goose13 on February 19, 2006, 02:41:58 PM
Absolutley, congrats to the Pride for their regular season championship. They are a tough squad, but watching them play at CNU and then at GC, if Staci Humphrey is the least bit off, so is GC. She makes that team that much better when she is hitting her shots. I think she is definitely a lock for POY. I think your first team is right on as well. Tuggle should be COY in my mind, especially the job he has done with what returned or didnt return from last year's NCAA team. ROY, well, I dont think there is one frosh in the top 20 in scoring, then its Kristen Whitehurst, I think she's a frosh from Methodist, Mary Porter from GC and Brittany Lynn from PC. Should be interesting. But the quarterfinals are first on Tuesday and then All-Conference comes out Wednesday.

I don't think staci has anything to do with the difference between the games.  Look at the stats they are pretty even.  The team carries itself.

PrideSportBBallGuy

I don't think i was clear on my last statement.  Staci is a good player.  It is a team effort though.  Teams win games not players.