FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Quote from: crufootball on December 03, 2012, 11:45:07 PM
I find it interesting to see how people are saying the only way UMHB can hang with Mount Union is if we play a clean game. I realize Mount Union is the big gorilla in the room but there are 4 teams playing this week that need to play a clean game to move onto the next round. All the teams playing this weekend have perfect records and come from strong conferences so they all can and will capitalize on mistakes. So while it is true that UMHB will have to play a clean game to win, I would say the same thing about UMU, St. Thomas and UW-O.

I agree 100%.  The sloppy team loses.  Turnovers, dropping passes/potential INT's, penalties, missed opportunities, etc.

Which is exactly what has decided the last 7 Stagg's between Mount and Whitewater.  The more efficient, cleaner team has won.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

cover2

Saw the All Region Teams are out.  Surprised that Pete Fredenburg hasn't been named South Region Coach of the Year at all dating back to 2005.  That is as far back as they go, has he ever been South Region COY?

crufootball

Quote from: cover2 on December 04, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
Saw the All Region Teams are out.  Surprised that Pete Fredenburg hasn't been named South Region Coach of the Year at all dating back to 2005.  That is as far back as they go, has he ever been South Region COY?

D3football.com has only being doing the awards since 2005 but he has been AFCA Regional Coach of the Year 6 times including this year. However like all coaches I am sure he would trade them all for a victory this weekend  ;)

Pat Coleman

The AFCA pretty much goes straight chalk with its regional coach selections. (They also have five regions, where we only recognize the four NCAA Division III football regions.)

I am sure that if we had had a 2004 regional coach of the year, Fredenburg would have been the guy. I did note that earlier today as I was compiling the releases but in all honesty, we do like to look at who has done the most with the least, and UMHB has not been the least in a while. Also, we are often making this decision right after the quarterfinals, and Wesley had had UMHB's playoff number for a while, so in years where we were going with chalk, that turned out to be Wesley.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

crufootball

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 04, 2012, 06:05:37 PM
The AFCA pretty much goes straight chalk with its regional coach selections. (They also have five regions, where we only recognize the four NCAA Division III football regions.)

I am sure that if we had had a 2004 regional coach of the year, Fredenburg would have been the guy. I did note that earlier today as I was compiling the releases but in all honesty, we do like to look at who has done the most with the least, and UMHB has not been the least in a while. Also, we are often making this decision right after the quarterfinals, and Wesley had had UMHB's playoff number for a while, so in years where we were going with chalk, that turned out to be Wesley.

Didn't mean to bring up the AFCA titles as a anything compared to your awards Pat if you took it that.

Question though about awards in general, seems to be more bad feelings about the Gagliardi Trophy candidates than I can remember in years past (I could be wrong about that). Am I wrong about that or am I just hearing about more because of the potential of some UMHB players.

Pat Coleman

I didn't take it as anything -- just explaining where we come from and where it seems like they come from.

This isn't the first year I've been disappointed in the choice of the 10 finalists. But I am never completely aware of a player's academics or community service until I see them as one of the 10, with all the information that comes with it.

But I do think that Jones should have been on the ballot.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

theaprof

Hey y'all (I say that as Kentucky born, and having lived in Richmond, Va and Fayetteville, Arkansas)-- don't forget the get together on Friday night at Rey's in Alliance.  We are a friendly bunch and we welcome the UMHB faithful.  8:30 or so for wings and beverages--and a bit of chest thumpin' by both sides! :D :D

http://reys62.com/
Reloading--Again, and again, and again....

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: theaprof on December 04, 2012, 09:43:00 PM
Hey y'all (I say that as Kentucky born, and having lived in Richmond, Va and Fayetteville, Arkansas)-- don't forget the get together on Friday night at Rey's in Alliance.  We are a friendly bunch and we welcome the UMHB faithful.  8:30 or so for wings and beverages--and a bit of chest thumpin' by both sides! :D :D

What he said............ 

umhb2001

According to your post on the OAC board, you don't like us hanging around.... ;)

JK, just messin. But really, thanks for the invite. Wish I had the $$$ to make it up there. I'd love to make a game there some time.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

cover2

Just saw the UMHB play on the Sportscenter Top 10.  Pretty cool for D3 to get some love.

theaprof

Quote from: umhb2001 on December 04, 2012, 10:32:32 PM

According to your post on the OAC board, you don't like us hanging around.... ;)

JK, just messin. But really, thanks for the invite. Wish I had the $$$ to make it up there. I'd love to make a game there some time.

Blame Ric for the negativity, not me--but even he is a nice guy deep down.
Reloading--Again, and again, and again....

crufootball

Quote from: cover2 on December 05, 2012, 01:06:12 AM
Just saw the UMHB play on the Sportscenter Top 10.  Pretty cool for D3 to get some love.

The play was also on SportsNation and UNITE. Also if you don't follow UMHB on Twitter or Facebook, you may want to check it out as lots of people are taking pictures #LiDarraling.

Jerry Bawcom

The Temple Daily Telegram has a nice story on "The Catch" by Walter Sharp in 2004, along with a writeup on the 2004 game with quotes from Josh Welch and his dad, with whom Josh now coaches in Copperas Cove.  I have the pic in my den!
True Crusader Fan !!!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Jerry Bawcom on December 05, 2012, 11:01:50 AM
The Temple Daily Telegram has a nice story on "The Catch" by Walter Sharp in 2004, along with a writeup on the 2004 game with quotes from Josh Welch and his dad, with whom Josh now coaches in Copperas Cove.  I have the pic in my den!

Too bad you have to be a subscriber to read it, otherwise it's a buck for a day pass.