FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwunder

Carthage beats Millikin 53-50 on a last second 46 yard FG by Collins.

Mr. Ypsi

Carthage kicked a 46-yard FG with 0 time remaining to down Millikin 53-50.  Gotta love those defensive slugfests! ;D

Fully expected Wheaton to defeat WashU; did NOT expect 35-0 after 1 Q! :o

BTW, #7 Berry was beaten tonite, so expect NCC to rise a spot in the poll (from 8 to 7).

kiko

Most of this has been reported already, but here's today's results:

Augustana 71, North Park 0 in Rock Island
Carthage 53, Millikin 50 in Decatur
Illinois Wesleyan 43, Elmhurst 0 at Langhorst
North Central 62, Carroll 3 in Waukesha
Wheaton 52, Wash U 13 at McCully

Next week:
Augustana at Wheaton
Carroll at North Park
Carthage at North Central
Elmhurst at Millikin
Wash U at Illinois Wesleyan

CardinalAlum

Quote from: kiko on October 19, 2019, 10:49:58 PM
Most of this has been reported already, but here's today's results:

Augustana 71, North Park 0 in Rock Island
Carthage 53, Millikin 50 in Decatur
Illinois Wesleyan 43, Elmhurst 0 at Langhorst
North Central 62, Carroll 3 in Waukesha
Wheaton 52, Wash U 13 at McCully

Next week:
Augustana at Wheaton
Carroll at North Park
Carthage at North Central
Elmhurst at Millikin
Wash U at Illinois Wesleyan

Crazy offensive numbers.  Wonder if there have ever been weeks like this where the winning team scores were so high?
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

tf37

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2019, 10:28:38 PM

BTW, #7 Berry was beaten tonite, so expect NCC to rise a spot in the poll (from 8 to 7).

Unless Ithaca jumps past them.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: tf37 on October 19, 2019, 11:33:42 PM

Anything's possible, but IMO that's unlikely.  Beating Hobart is more impressive than beating Carroll, but on the other hand NCC won on the road while Ithaca was at home.  Unless one or more voters have a drastic change of mind about the top ten (aside from lowering Berry), it would mean quite a few deciding Ithaca was better than NCC who previously thought not.

AndOne

Quote from: blue_jays on October 19, 2019, 10:16:00 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 19, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
Late 1st Q:

Wheaton 35
Wash U 0

After last year's debacle, let's just say Wheaton made sure it wasn't close this year... the stats say it all. Anthony averaged over 20 yards per completion, Williams 13.3 yards per rush, and the defense smushed the Bears into a fine powder.

It seems the bus carrying the WashU reserves arrived in Wheaton on time today, but the bus containing the starters encountered mechanical problems, and didn't arrive until the beginning of the 4th quarter. The starters then entered the game and scored all 13 of the Bears points. 🤗

izzy stradlin

Quote from: AndOne on October 19, 2019, 11:58:12 PM
Late 1st Q:

Wheaton 35
Wash U 0

After last year's debacle, let's just say Wheaton made sure it wasn't close this year... the stats say it all. Anthony averaged over 20 yards per completion, Williams 13.3 yards per rush, and the defense smushed the Bears into a fine powder.

It seems the bus carrying the WashU reserves arrived in Wheaton on time today, but the bus containing the starters encountered mechanical problems, and didn't arrive until the beginning of the 4th quarter. The starters then entered the game and scored all 13 of the Bears points. 🤗

Well you are correct as it was the WashU 1's in through the 4th quarter with Johnny Davidson et al. scoring on the Wheaton 3's.   

blue_jays

Quote from: izzy stradlin on October 20, 2019, 12:42:00 AM
Quote from: AndOne on October 19, 2019, 11:58:12 PM
Late 1st Q:

Wheaton 35
Wash U 0

Well you are correct as it was the WashU 1's in through the 4th quarter with Johnny Davison et al. scoring on the Wheaton 3's.

Gotta avoid that shutout somehow, do what ya gotta do

USee

Some big numbers from the Wheaton game:

Wheaton 688 yds, 2nd most is school history (1995 playoff vs Witt yielded 708)
415 yds rushing. TJW 12 rush for 160 and 2 TD, Will Smith 20 rush for 120
283 passing. LAnthony 12-17 252 yds 3 TD 1 int (first of the season)
7 sacks for Wh and 0 for WashU

WashU
205 total yds
159 passing. Johnny D 21-38 (55%) 159
46 yds rushing
WashU kept their first team O on the field late into the 4th when Wheaton was playing 3s and Johnny D got their only offensive TD. The other was a blocked punt late in the 4th

This Wheaton DLine is likely the best I have ever seen as a group in my 36 years watching Wheaton FB. It's a special group that can carry this team far if they stay healthy. Luke Anthony is playing at a very high level for his first 5 games in the offense. TJ Williams is a D1 talent playing D3. The collection of talent all around this team is exceptional.

tf37

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2019, 11:41:54 PM
Quote from: tf37 on October 19, 2019, 11:33:42 PM

Anything's possible, but IMO that's unlikely.  Beating Hobart is more impressive than beating Carroll, but on the other hand NCC won on the road while Ithaca was at home.  Unless one or more voters have a drastic change of mind about the top ten (aside from lowering Berry), it would mean quite a few deciding Ithaca was better than NCC who previously thought not.

They gained on them, but as you correctly pointed out NCC's lead was too large to overcome. 

79jaybird

Unfortunately a similar script for the Jays.  In year's past Elmhurst has been huge underdogs, but still found ways to at least compete for part of the game & show some pride for the jersey.  IMO, I don't see that right now.  I realize talent wise, Elmhurst is depleted, very little depth,  and etc.  but sheesh!  Very frustrating.   :-[

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HScoach

Quote from: USee on October 20, 2019, 06:58:41 AM
Some big numbers from the Wheaton game:

Wheaton 688 yds, 2nd most is school history (1995 playoff vs Witt yielded 708)
415 yds rushing. TJW 12 rush for 160 and 2 TD, Will Smith 20 rush for 120
283 passing. LAnthony 12-17 252 yds 3 TD 1 int (first of the season)
7 sacks for Wh and 0 for WashU

WashU
205 total yds
159 passing. Johnny D 21-38 (55%) 159
46 yds rushing
WashU kept their first team O on the field late into the 4th when Wheaton was playing 3s and Johnny D got their only offensive TD. The other was a blocked punt late in the 4th

This Wheaton DLine is likely the best I have ever seen as a group in my 36 years watching Wheaton FB. It's a special group that can carry this team far if they stay healthy. Luke Anthony is playing at a very high level for his first 5 games in the offense. TJ Williams is a D1 talent playing D3. The collection of talent all around this team is exceptional.

If your opinion of Wheaton is correct, and I have no reason to question it, then this could make for an interesting post season.  Of all the teams that I've seen Mount play over the years, my most respected opponent has been Wheaton.  They're always very fundamentally sound, well coached, plays hard without the crap after the whistle, and makes you work for everything.  UWW has historically overpowered you with brute strength at the line of scrimmage and MHB has so many athletes that not even their head coach can get in their way, but Wheaton is opponent that I've admired the most.  They remind me of many of the early LK teams where they win because of their execution coupled with really good talent, not simply because they're so much bigger/stronger/faster like MHB.

If this is the best Wheaton team then 2019 could be a special year come playoff time as the some of those past Wheaton teams that made it to Mount were quite close to breaking thru. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

USee

HSC,

This could be a special year but I acknowledge the field at the top looks particularly strong and it appears at least 2 quadrants of the bracket will have early battles in the post season to move on. The big variable for Wheaton is injuries. If the Thunder stay healthy they can compete with anyone but just 1 or 2 key injuries could change the profile of this team dramatically. They have already lost 2 major contributors for the year. Luckily those were spots where they had experience.

It would be great to see Mike Swider take a team to the Stagg in the twilight of his career.