magicman

Final scores

Plattsburgh State 84 Fredonia State 75

Cortland State  88 New Paltz  State 71

Potsdam State 76   Buffalo State 83

Oswego State 64  Oneonta State 68

magicman

Cortland State 88 New Paltz 71

I was almost perfect on this one as I had Cortland winning by an 87-70 score. Missed each team by a single point and had the MOV of 17 points right on the money. Probably won't get one any closer than this the rest of the year.

The Red Dragons built 7 or 8 point leads on 4 different occasions in the first half but each time the Hawks would fight back to get within one or two possessions and ultimately were only down 41-38 at the half.

The Hawks continued to stay close through the early stages of the 2nd period and were only down 51-46 with 14 minutes to play, but it was at that point in the game when Cortland finally began to pull away. They opened up a 9 point lead on back to back layups by James Morales and Zack Lydon. Up by 10 at 58-48 Lydon scored 11 of his team's next 13 points on a hoop and harm, a 3 pointer, a jumper and another 3 pointer and suddenly the score was 71-56 with 7 minutes to go.  The Hawks never got closer than 13 points the rest of the way.

Zach Lydon had a big game to capture scoring honors with 33 points, hitting on 15 of 20 shots from the field. He was 2x4 from downtown and also had 5 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 assists.

Justin Cooper had 13 points, a team high6 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal.

James Morales had 12 points, 5 assists, 4 steals and 2 rebounds.

Nicky Bonura also had 12 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals off the bench.

Brendan Fitzpatrick tied the team high with 6 rebounds and added 5 points with a pair of dimes.

Tristan Wissemann was the high scorer for the Hawks with 23 points. He added 4 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal.

Nick Paquette had 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assist.

Dylan Balducci had 14points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists.

Cortland, surprisingly was beaten rather handily on the boards by a 44-31 margin, but only had 6 turnovers to 14 for New Paltz.

The Red Dragons improve to 11-2 overall and 6-0 in the conference and remain at the top of the standings by themselves. They will be back in action on Friday when they host Plattsburgh State at 7:30 PM. The winner of this big showdown could have a leg up for first place in the YAC. Brockport with only 1 loss is still very much in the picture.

New Paltz falls to 4-9 overall and 1-5 in the conference. They will take on travel partner, Oneonta, this Saturday at 3:00 PM in Oneonta.     

magicman

Oneonta State 68  Oswego State 64

Had Oneonta winning this game by a 78-73 score. Deduct 10 from each team and I'm only 1 point off. I can put a good spin on any prediction ;D  MOV was only a point off though.

Though this pair would have a higher scoring game to make up for the slowdown they played last time they met up. Looks like they slogged through this one as well.

4 ties and 4 lead changes would take place in a back and forth 1st half where neither team could gt separation. The halftime score found the Red Dragons in front 31-29.

3 times in the 2nd half Oneonta would open up a 5 point lead but each time the Lakers would respond and finally, down 39-34, they put together a 10-2 run, ending with 5 straight points by Liam Sanborn, to go in front 44-41, with 12 minutes to play. Oneonta countered with an 11-4 burst of its own to regain the lead at 52-48, with 6:39 to go. The Red Dragons were still ahead 59-54 with 4 minutes to go after a Harrison Deegan layup, but 6 unanswered points by the Lakers forced a Red Dragon time out with 2 minutes to play. Both teams came up empty and then Oneonta regained the lead on another bucket by Deegan. Oswego turned it over with a minute to go, but the Red Dragons missed a 3 pointer only to have Oneonta's Ian Schultz grab the most important rebound of the game, with 40 ticks left on the clock. The Lakers fouled with 34 seconds left and Sean Nolan made both free throws. The Lakers' Jamir Ferebee scored quickly and they fouled once again. This time Oneonta made just 1 of 2 to make it 64-62 with 16 seconds left.  Oneonta fouled Ferebee who made 1 of 2 to make it a 1 point game and the Lakers quickly fouled Nolan who once again made both free throws. Now up by 3 points Oneonta fouled Ferebee with just a couple of seconds left and he made the first and missed the 2nd. Another foul sent Oneonta to the stripe where they made 2 more, to close out the scoring.     

Oneonta got 50 of its 68 points from their bench and the team's 3 high scorers all came off the bench.

Jacob Rodriguez led the way with 16 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, a block and an assist.

Harrison Deegan had 15 points on 6 of 8 shooting.

Anthony Kirkwood had 20 points and 7 rebounds.

Matthew Boyd had a team high 8 rebounds, 5 points, 2 assists and a steal.

Oswego was led by Jamir Ferebee who had a game high 19 points with 4 rebounds.

Josh Ivey had 12 points and 9 rebounds as he just missed a double-double.

Liam Sanborn dropped in 11 points with 4 rebounds, 3 steals and 1 assist.

Oneonta improves to 7-5 overall and 3-3 in the conference. They are off until Saturday when they host New Paltz at 3:00 PM

Oswego State falls to 7-6 overall and 4-2 in the YAC. They host Potsdam on Friday night at 7:30 PM and Plattsburgh on Saturday at 3:00 PM

magicman

Buffalo State 83    Potsdam State 76

Had the Bengals winning this game 90-78 so I wasn't far off on the score. Didn't know their big guy was out which kept the score down a little, I'm sure. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have to nurture a new source for info coming out of the Queen City I guess.

This was a close game through the first 37 minutes as the Bears stayed with the Bengals most of the way. 5 lead changes and 3 ties in the early part of the first half and the teams were only separated by a single point 26-25 Bengals, with 6 minutes left in the period. A 13-4 run by Buff State fueled by 6 points from Malik Turner, 4 points from Bryan Harrell and a triple from Zak Ciezki made the score 39-29 with 2 minutes to go. The Bears' Danny Delsol-Lowry then scored 5 points on a 3ball and a layup to sandwich a dunk by Serigne Kane and cut the lead to 3 at the break 39-36.

Once again the Bengals shot out to a double digit lead and managed to stay in front by multiple possessions until the Bears slowly narrowed the gap and finally caught them at 55 each with 11:38 to play. The teams traded baskets and were once again deadlocked at 65 each with 7 minutes remaining. Buffalo State took the lead on a Sheldon Adams 3 pointer and when Potdsdam missed on their end the Bengals got a big offensive rebound from Mike Henry and then a basket from Henry seconds later to make it a 2 possession game. Henry added a free throw to complete the 3 point play. Potsdam never got within a single possession the rest of the way. Poor shooting by Potsdam down the stretch, only going 2 for 12 in the final 7 minutes, was their kryptonite.

Malik Turner was the game's high scorer with 23 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.

Mike Henry had a nice double-double of 18 points and a game high 14 rebounds. He had 5 assists and 3 steals as well.

Sheldon Adams had 19 points as he was 4 of 6 from downtown.

Bryan Harrell had 13 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal.

Nosa Onabor had 20 points to lead the Bears. He added 8 rebounds and 2 assists.

Danny Delsol-Lowry had 15 points and came close to a triple double with 10 rebounds and 7 assists.

Serigne Kane had 11 points and 9 rebounds, while Dante Langley dropped in 12 points.

Jayquan Thomas had 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals in 27 minutes off the bench.

The Bears outrebounded the Bengals 43 to 38 but had 18 turnovers to 12 for Buff State.

Buffalo State evns their record at 6-6 and is now 2-4 in the conference. They will travel to Brockport on Tuesday to take on the Golden Eagles in the first of two games with them this week. Tip off time is 7:30 PM.

Potdam also has a 6-6 overall record and in 2-1 on the YAC. They host their neighbors 10 mile down Route 11 the SUNY Canton Kangaroos on Tuesday Jan 9th at 7:00 PM.

magicman

Plattsburgh State 84  Fredonia 75

I had the Cardinals winning this one 89-70 and for most of the game they had a comfortable double digit lead. The final score is closer than the game really was.

Plattsburgh opened up a 15-2 lead and led by as much as 17 in the first half. Eli Bryant (16 pts) from the outside along with Jon Patron (11pts) and Eric Mack (10 pts) on the inside did most of the damage, as the 3 combined for 37 of the Cardinals 44 first half points. Plattsburgh went into the locker room up 44-28 at the break.

The Cardinals led by as many as 19 points for much of the 2nd period and the coaching staff got a number of players into the game with the large lead. The Blue Devils eventually cut the lead to 9 points at 66-57 with 6:39 remaining to play but the Cardinals hung tough and went 9x12 from the line down the stretch to preserve the win.

Eli Bryant in what is getting to be a habit, led all scorers with 27 points and grabbed 4 rebounds.

Jon Patron continued his stellar play, since his return to the team, with 24 points and 8 rebounds putting him in the mix for SUNYAC Player of the Week in his first conference action of the year. I get an assist for 1 of Jon's 24 points since the official box score only had him with 23 points. He went to the foul line with 1:39 left in the game and made 2 free throws. For some reason the play by play person gave the first free throw to Jon and the 2nd free throw was credited to Ian Howard. I had to call the SID at Fredonia and leave him a message to correct the box score. And on Sunday the correction showed up in an adjusted box score. 50 years after my playing days ended I get an assist.  ;D

Eric Mack just missed a double-double with 16 points and 9 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Brandon Johnson had 11 points off the bench.

Chris Middleton only had 2 points but tied for the game high with 10 rebounds.

Fredonia was led by Dante Williams with a double-double of 19 points and 10 rebounds.

Ian Helps, like Eric Mack, just missed a double-double with 14 points and 9 rebounds.

Justin Tapper had 12 points and 7 rebounds.

Kay Jackson had 11 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.

Plattsburgh won the battle of the boards by a slight margin, 49 -44 and also committed fewer turnovers with only 9 to the Blue Devils 13.

The Cardinals improve to 7-4 on the season and take over sole possession of 2nd place in the conference with a 5-1 record. They have now won 4 games in a row and currently hold the longest winning streak in the conference. They are on the road again this coming weekend as they take on Cortland on Friday night at 7:30 in a contest with major implications on the conference race. That game is followed by a trip to Oswego on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM.

Fredonia drops to 2-10 0verall and 0-6 in the YAC. They are back in action Tuesday night  at Geneseo at 7:30 PM in the first of two games with the Knights this week. They will host Brockport and Geneseo this coming weekend.

I managed to go 9-0 this past weekend with a number of predicted scores close to the actual ones. Hope my luck continues.

magicman

Jan. 9   Three games on the slate today involving 5 teams from the conference   

SUNY-Canton  at  Potsdam State        7:00 PM

The Kangaroos are only 3-7 but have played 7 teams that are .500 or better and most recently they hung with the Lakers only losing 77-70. Potsdam should win this game and the oddsmakers have favored them by 8 points. I'll take the Bears by an 83-73 final score.

Fredonia State  at  Geneseo State        7:30 PM

The Blue Devils are still searching for that first conference win. The Blue Knights are looking to get back in the thick of the playoff race. They are on a win-loss-win-loss streak  The oddsmakers have the Knights favored by 12 points. These teams have split their season series the last two years, but those 2 wins are the only ones Fredonia has managed in the last 10 games against Geneseo.   One of these days Fredonia will pull off the upset, and get their first conference win of the year... however, it will not be this day. Geneseo is due for a win and they get it 80-70.

Buffalo State  at  Brockport State        7:30 PM

The first of 2 meetings this week between these two clubs. Brockport has never been the Bengals favorite team to play and there should be a rule that you don't have to play them twice in one week.  Port is looking to regain a share of 2nd place in the conference while the Bengals need to get back in playoff contention. I have a feeling by 5:00 PM on Saturday afternoon the Bengals will have seen far to much of the Golden Eagles. The bad news....the Bengals are 2-13 in the last 15 games against Brockport, the good news...those 2 wins have come in the last three years, each time in Brockport. The oddsmakers have made the Golden Eagles an 11 point favorite in this one. The Bengals will need their big man Sir. Quintin Campbell if they hope to spring an upset. I don't think they win this one even if they have him.  Brockport 93 Buffalo State 80. 

magicman

Jon Patron from Plattsburgh State has been selected as the SUNYAC Player of the Week. Congratulations to Jon.

Here's the write up from the SUNYAC website:

"Jonathan Patron, MBB, AOW, Plattsburgh
Jan 08, 2018
Plattsburgh's Jonathan Patron has been named Athlete of the Week for men's basketball.  The junior was a key part of the Cardinals' 2-0 week, as he averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds.  In a matchup with Buffalo St., Patron scored 29 points and brought down 14 rebounds in 31 minutes of play to lead Plattsburgh to a 96-83 win over the Bengals.  In a game against Fredonia, the Huntington native had 23 points and 8 rebounds as the Cardinals outlasted the Blue Devils, 84-75."

Jon actually had 24 points in that Fredonia game as the weekend was a nice return to conference play for the Cardinals' leading scorer and rebounder from last season. 

AllStar

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

That requires us to know all the mascots.

Cool design, though - I like it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

magicman

Tuesday Night Results.

Potsdam State 73 SUNY-Canton 70

This game was closer than I thought it would be but the Bears pulled it out after being down 59-58 with about 6 minutes left to play. Dante Langly had back to back layups to put the Bears ahead for good as they held off the Kangaroos.

Langley led Potsdam with 19 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists. Serigne Kane had a double-double of 15 points and 10 boards.  Danny Delsol-Lowry had 11 points and 7 rebounds.

The Bears are now 7-6 overall and have exceeded the number of wins they had for the past 3 years combined (3..1..and 2). They are back in action on Friday at Oswego at 7:30 PM.

Geneseo State 87  Fredonia State 53

The Knights put a whipping on the Blue Devils by a bigger margin than I expected. Fredonia was in this game for about half of the first period and then the Knights opened up a double digit lead that only got larger as the game wore on.

Quinn Carey captured scoring honors with 23 points.

Tommy Eastman had a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Zack Panebianco added 13 points and 5 assists.

Ian Helps had 17 points to lead the Blue Devils and Kay Jackson had 10.

Geneseo  improves to 6-6 overall and is now tied with Oneonta for 5th place in the YAC with a 3-3 record. The Knights presently hold the tiebreaker over Oneonta, by virtue of their win over the Red Dragons back on December 1st.  Geneseo will host Buffalo State on Friday night Jan. 12th at 7:30 PM and then face Fredonia on the road the next day at 3:00 PM.

Fredonia is now 2-11 overall and 0-7 in theYAC.  They will try and get that initial win on Friday night at Brockport at 7:30 PM.

Brockport State 90  Buffalo State 75

I had the Golden Eagles winning this one 93-80, so I wasn't too far off and the MOV was just a two pointer away. The Bengals did have their big man, Sir. Quinton Campbell, in the lineup as he returned from a one game absence, however their leading scorer and rebounder, Mike Henry, was out and that's one player the Bengals can't afford to lose, especially against a team as good as Brockport.

The Bengals played a strong first half even without their missing star and with 4 minutes to play in the period were tied with Port at 34-34. The Golden Eagles put together a closing 13-3 run that gave them a halftime lead of 47-37. 

Needing a quick start to get back in contention, the Bengals found themselves on the short end of another Brockport run to open the period, as the Golden Eagles ripped off a 16-2 spurt in the first 5 minutes. Now the deficit was 24 points with 15:08 left in the game. The lead grew to a game high 27 points with 11 minutes to go and was still at that margin, 78-51, with 7:51 remaining. The Bengals cut into the big lead with a few 3 pointers near the end of the game but the outcome was never in doubt after the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.

Justin Summers led the scoring parade for the Eagles with 16 points and 7 rebounds.

Mike O'Hara came off he bench to score 15 points and grab 7 boards in just 14 minutes of court time.

Jon Carnegie had 10 points with 7 boards, while Hamed Shamseldin also had 10 points and 6 rebounds.

12 different players hit the scoreboard for Brockport as Coach Dunne got every player into the game.

The win was Coach Dunne's 181st victory as Brockport's coach and it made him the winningest coach in the history of the program. Now in his 11th season as the head coach of the Golden Eagles his teams have averaged over 17 wins per season and have never missed the SUNYAC tournament. Congratulations to Coach Dunne.

Buffalo State was led by Sheldon Adams who scored a game high 20 points.

Bryan Harrell had 15 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block.

Sir. Quintin Campbell had a double-double of 11 points and a game high 10 boards.

Brockport ups their record to 10-3 and moves back into a tie with Plattsburgh for 2nd place in the conference with a 5-1 record. They currently hold the tiebreaker over the Cardinals by virtue of their 97-95 win on December 8th. The team is back in action on Friday as they host Fredonia at 7:30 before traveling over to the Queen City to meet the Bengals in a rematch on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM.

Buff State drops to 6-7 overall and is 2-5 in the YAC. They travel to Geneseo on Friday night for a 7:30 game before they host Brockport on Saturday. 

AllStar

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 11, 2018, 07:34:26 AM
That requires us to know all the mascots.

Cool design, though - I like it.

I can try doing something about that next time.  Glad you like it!  I'm just fooling around with different things.

Greek Tragedy

Huge game tonight with magicman's Plattsburgh St Cardinals against my Cortland Red Dragons. I only say "my" because I had them picked in the Top 25 pool. Curious to read magicman's preview on this one.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

All-Time

4 games on tap tonight.

Obviously the Game of the night is Magicman's Cardinals visiting the Red Dragons of Cortland.
With Jon Patron back in the fold for Plattsburgh, and playing better than ever, I have the Cardinals squeezing out a tough road win.
Brockport all over Fredonia
Oswego winning a close one against Magicman's Bears.
And Buffalo State winning only if Mike Henry is playing against Geneseo.

Enjoy the games

magicman

Nice article on New Paltz sharpshooter Nick Paquette on D3hoops front page today. Quite a comeback for this young man. Hope he continues to improve and puts one in the win column against this disease. Go Nick!   I'd like to meet him when he comes to Plattsburgh on February 17th.    Here's the link to the story:

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/east/2017-18/new-paltz-paquette