MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopology101

I did not run at all, I just wanted a diffrent screen name that was all.  So lets discuss basketball, So I'm wondering do people really think presentation will be that good this year? Also how did crown get any recruits with that year they had last year wow! And my and everyone pick for 1st place in the conf is NW great tradition and returning the whole team!
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

Hoopology101

D3bballfollower I see that you know a lot not only in the Umac but alot of other confs, so do you play? did you play? are you a coach? just wondering because you have a lot on great post on here that have a lot of detail?
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

d3bballfollower

Hoop-

I don't know what others think of Presentation, but I saw them play 4 times last year and was impressed by their young guys...I think with another year under their belt they will be much better this year, plus the UMAC as a whole will be down so teams will be a lot more evenly matched, outside of NWC of course who should, I predict, run the table in the league, maybe get 1 loss.

I heard that Crown got some new, decent recruits because I have a friend whose son goes their and knows a lot of the bball guys.  This is just rumor of course but I mentioned it to see if anyone else new it to be true or not...we'll just have to wait for the season to start to see if this is true or not...

I am just a spectator...I played college ball out east and since have been everywhere else around the country.  I follow and watch d3 basketball like it's my job (although it isn't)

ps- welcome to the board...its always nice to get more posters, maybe this year we can get some great discussions going...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

I'm going with Bethany Luthern just because they are very athletic and if they can get the game at an up and down pase they will have a chance.  Along shot I have Crown beating them in the 2nd half of the season just because NW might look past them and if this rumor of them having some decent recruits is true? you never know?  lol Will see what happens

Hoopology101

Yeah I'm glad to be a part of the board and hope we can get more users chatting about bball.  I have to agree I just think NW experience alone will help them run the tables.  I also have a couple of buddies that have friends playing at diffrent teams in the UMAC so I follow it more.  Maybe you can answer this for me I heard both NW and Crown have decent point guards what do you think about that? I was looking at the roster and noticed that Crown has Isaac Hale an ex patrick Henry player, and if they do have the recruits this year this could help his play out a lot? just a thought.  Also  I saw this left handed guy from NW playing ball at an open gym I think people were calling him Steliki? not sure but he looked pretty good?  What is your opions on these topics?

Ralph Turner

Hoopology, I moved the poll to the UMAC board where it has more relevance.

Thanks for your interest and bring your friends. :)

Hoopology101

Thanks for doing that I put it in the wrong area not sure how I did that but thank you.

d3bballfollower

Hoop-

the player you are referring to for NWC is Josh Strelecki...he is a senior guard (can play the 1-3 spots)...with Discher and Zuleger at the point the Eagles definitely have the best back court in the conference...the post will be the problem for NWC this season with the loss of Daniel Hanson and Mike Anderstrom...anyone know if Hanson's younger brother Steven is back this year after academic issues last year?...also, former Centennial Cougar teammates Chris Gonsior and Reid Berens will have to play bigger and better roles this year for NWC to run the table...Discher and Stelecki may be the best scoring tandem in the conference...anyone else have thoughts on that issue?

As far as Crown, I don't know a ton about them...Kincade Kirkpatrick can shoot, but their problem will be can they hold their own on defense...they were undersized last year and if that is the case again this year, they could be in for another long year...

Hoop...in your opinion...who will be the biggest surprise in the UMAC this year?
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

I have updates on a couple teams.  First NW has there whole starting line up returning this season, both the Hansen's will be playing this year.  This both played this past summer in all the summer league games, and so far the younger Hansen is elgible.  So NW will be super tough this year.  Now the Crown update, they have some new recruits that will make an impact this season if things go right with grades and just getting into shape.  The other thing to about new guys playing to gether is when will they jell together? Also Crown has Kinkade back and starting point guard Isaac, and Dellos, last year there was a lot of presure on Kinkade but because of the new recruits he will not have so much pressure on  him.  I do agree that they will have to focus on D cause last year they stoped no one at all! I think the biggest suprise will be Crown they won only 3 games last year and 0 in conf play. But we will see, this is why they play the game.

d3bballfollower

wow! i can't believe i forgot that Daniel Hanson was only a junior last year...thanks for correcting me Hoop...that definitely changes my opinion on them...I don't think anyone will beat them...although I think there could be a couple guys that could go for 30 against them...mainly Kirkpatrick from Crown and possibly Dalbey from Morris...i'm going with Presentation as my biggest surprise...I think the young guys will step up big time this year and Coach Sevareid will really get the guys playing together...I have known Coach Sevareid for a couple years now and know him to be a quality coach and teacher of the game...he will do great things for the Saints

Hoopology101

I see what you are saying about presentation, we will see, I can not wait tell teams start having scrimmages and actually playing.  It will be very interesting this year.

d3bballfollower

on that note Hoop, do you or anyone else know when, and against who some of the UMAC boys have scrimmages against in early November??

and will they be open to the public?

d3bballfollower

we'll get to see early on if NWC is for real...they have the possibility, and it will most likely happen, of playing Jamestown on Novermber 17th for the championship of their tourney...the Jimmies have a solid squad with lots of senior leadership and talent...and then the 20th they play Augsburg...the Auggies will have, I feel, a top 3 team in the MIAC, so this could be a statement game for the Eagles...

Hoopology101

Scrimmages I do not have any info on that but some good early games to look at  Bethany Luther starts the season out at Winona this game will be interesting to see how close Bethany Luthern can keep the game, then 2 days later they are playing in the bethel Tourney. This will be a great look for them. Also Crown is going to Chicago to open the season against Moody, and William n Penn a NAIA school that is very athletic and won 20+ games last season.  Also Presentation plays Trinity bible early in the season, this should be a guarante win for them Trinity gave Crown 2 of their 3 wins last season plsu Trinity lost their best player so they are really hurting this year, and their coaching situation is a lil up in the air 2 very young coaches that played for the team 2 seasons ago, so if Presentation does not win these game it might raise some eye braws!  Is there any other games that catch anyones attention?

formerUMACplayer

Wow!!!...as a former UMAC player it is Great to see this post for the conference. Here is my take on the preseason rankings for this upcoming season (I generally catch 10-12 UMAC games a year):
1.   Northwestern Bible College hands down. With Strelecki, Anderstrom, Hansons (both), Discher and Zuleger all returning how can you pick against these guys. Coach Grosz has done a wonderful job with recruiting and building a solid program. Finished 12-2 in conference last season
2.   Bethany Lutheran: Losing Mayfield will be big but guys such as Grant and Priem provide Senior leadership. It also doesn't hurt that Bethany is the most athletic team in the conference, so if they get you to play into their style look out. Finished 11-3 in conference last season
3.   College of St. Scholastica: Yes losing Maupins will hurt but remember the point guard Schmitz who suffered a knee injury last season. He along with Anderson led Scholastica in the 05-06 season when Maupins played his first year. If healthy Schmitz might be the top point guard in the UMAC and he provides Senior leadership. Finished 9-5 in conference last season
4.   Minnesota Morris: They return nine players off of last years team. There big up front and have decent guard play. Finished 6-8 in conference last season
5.   Presentation College: Solid core of young players returning. Not sure about the new coach and how the players will respond but finished 6-8 in conference play last season.
6.   Martin Luther College: With the loss of Dolan and Kurbis not sure if they can replace those two. Martin Luther had a thin bench last season but they have Schultz 6'9, Kolander 6'6 and Gephart 6'5 in the front court...guard play will be a big question. Finished 8-6 in conference play last season.
7.   Northland College: Very young team returning. Not much talent but playing in coach Robinsons system you must play aggressive and play tough defense-which Northland does. Might be another down season but don't overlook. Finished 4-10 in conference play last season.
8.   Crown College: With a first year coach and not much depth last season Crown struggled big time. Kirkpatrick is the leader and only scorer and Hale played decent in the backcourt last season. Look for Crown to struggle again but make some small strides this season. Finished 0-14 in conference play last season.