MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat1144

Old School,

You have to understand that an excellent athletic team in one of the big three (football, basketball, baseball) was something new to the UPS campus last year.  Also remember that this is the Seattle/Tacoma area so the students have more options on the weekend besides cow tipping and shooting their shotguns at stuff.

Blackhawks,

Old school says 4,500 capacity...does that barn up at UPS really hold that many people?

Old School

wildcat1144,

This site says UPS's Memorial Fieldhouse holds 4500.  It's not my claim.

There is so much more to do in Stevens Point and the Midwest area than just cow tip and shoot off our shotguns.

Some of us go down to the black railroad bridge down on the Wisconsin River and throw rocks off of it.  That's a good ol time.  We also go to the local Taco Bell parking lot and hang out in the bed of our big trucks and compare tattooes.  Another past time of Stevens Point is "cruising" down Division St. and honking our custom made horns at each other, sometimes spinning our tires at the lights when they turn green.  The "of age" crowd goes down to Bruisers, located at the aforementioned Square and you're bound to find a fight if you want one.  Since we all live on farms in the midwest, we also go out and shoot cans off the wooden fence.  At night we go and "shine deer".  Do you guys out west know what a deer looks like? http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>  

All because we don't have a Starbucks doesn't mean we can't find things to keep ourselves busy.

(Message edited by shorty on March 9, 2005)

Pat Coleman

I don't know where we got the number -- I look at the facilities and quick facts on UPS' site and it doesn't say anything, so I must have gotten it out of the Blue Book or something.

I have a Blue Book here that says 4,000, so I'll change it to that until I hear something different.

blackhawks#4

Theres a sign in the fieldhouse that says UPS seats 3500 for basketball and 5000 for concerts.  We already discussed the attendance numbers on the board and I'd say their higher than posted, due to the fact that the student section either isn't counted (they don't need tickets) or is counted poorly.  

Last year there was only 2000 at the game because the UPS students (largely from out of state) were on spring break and had made flights before they knew UPS was hosting.

The UPS crowd is growing each year with the success of the program of course.  I wouldn't expect UPS to fill their 400 tickets but they should get a decent following to support them out in Wisconsin.  

If I can find a fairly inexpensive way to get to Stevens Point from Dallas, Texas, I'll be there.

So what's the scoop on UWSP this year?  Of course Kaslow and Bennet are 2 of the best in the country at this level, but what else?  How's your pg situation looking after the injury?  Strong conference play as usual this year?  Record at home?

wildcat1144

Old School,

I've seen a deer or two but they were on TV.  

Most of your description sounds like things you can do down in town that Linfield is located, McMinnville, Oregon.  You can also go throw rocks at stuff, get into bar fights, etc.  

The difference is that afterwards we go by to the Starbucks drive thru that is located on the http://www.newsregister.com/news/results.cfm?story_no=185120"> Linfield Campus and get a Grande double mocha latte.

Point Special

Wildcat,

I think you should probably say "recent" excellent athletic teams are something new.  UPS won the D-2 National Championship in 1976.

Also, the majority of people who come to games in Stevens Point are adults and families, not college students.  They have plenty of other options (uh... family stuff?) but they choose to come to a great basketball game, as a family.  

The perennial national leaders in D-3 are not in podunk towns with nothing to do.  The top 4 schools in attendance this season are Hope, Illinois Welseyan, Calvin (not sure of the order, I can't find the link with this year's numbers, but all were over 2000) and UW Stevens Point.  Now, like I said these schools aren't in country bumkin towns with nothing else going on.  Hope is in Holland (112,000 people), Calvin is in Grand Rapids (197,000), Illinois Welseyan is in Bloomington-Normal (113,100) and UWSP in Stevens Point (40,191).  The argument that there's SO much going on in Tacoma isn't that valid of an argument... I think that perhaps the University just needs to do a little more P.R. work... do some things in the community to get the community interested and involved and wanting to attend.

BanditUWSP

Old School,  
you forgot that when it gets hot in the summer, the "rich folks" might cool off in their "cEEment pond" after drinking a little moonshine.  Sorry, got to run and do some "double naught" spy work for Granny, Ellie May and Uncle Jed.   (lol)

wildcat1144

Point Special,

Old School and I were just having some friendly banter.  It was not an indictment on the SP area.  Just some ribbing.

hoops

Point Special,

were did you get the census numbers from at 40,191?  Point has just over 24,000 people in it.  just wondering

Point Special

I cited the Stevens Point "metro area"... Stevens Point, Plover, Whiting, and Park Ridge all bump right up next to each other... I plopped them in the same category (in the same way I brought together Bloomington-Normal, and the Grand Rapids adjacent areas).

Old School

Blackhawks,

Point basically has everyone back that they had last year, but they are a year better, as is everyone else, I guess!

As you know, Kalsow and Bennett are the big guns, but everyone contributes in their own ways and they don't always show up in the boxscore.  Sometimes it's just a key basket, rebound, steal, or whatever.  So, simply looking at the numbers won't give you a full sense of what kind of TEAM Point really is.

Kalsow and Bennett are probably the best 1-2 combo in the WIAC, let alone the nation.  There hasn't been a time, that I can remember, when a team has stopped BOTH of them.  Last week, for example, WIAC player of the year Kalsow was held to just 3 first half points.  But, Bennett went for 18 in the half.  It's hard to stop both of them.  

Supporting cast includes Kyle Grusczynski, who's a big shooting guard and can hit from long range.  Jon Krull can light it up too, going for 25 or so in the semi-finals last year vs. John Carroll.  Eric Maus is a great defender and can make those midrange jumpers.

This is the best passing team anyone will see.  They led the league in assists by a huge margin (averaging 2 more assists than the #2 team).  Kalsow is a point-forward and probably will be more relied upon with senior point guard Tamaris Relerford out for the rest of his college career.  Backup PG Shawn Lee and 3rd stringer Steve Hicklin are both freshman, but Hicklin was extremely impressive in place of Relerford in the 2nd half last weekend.  Ironically, Lee just returned from a broken hand (the injury that has sidelined Relerford).  They are good ballhandlers, but none of the point guards have been relied upon to score.  

Point was undefeated at home this year, going 16-0 so far, I think.  They averaged 1800 fans at home, in the 2800 seat gym.  The last 4 games (3 WIAC tourney games and vs. LU in the NCAAs) have brought in over 8500 fans, with the last game a sellout.  This weekend's games were sold out in less than 3 hours (some reports said 90 minutes, but that's not true).

They had to fight for basically every conference win and tied Platteville at the top at 13-3 (they split).  3rd place Oshkosh ended up 11-5.  They were taken to overtime, before winning at last place La Crosse.

Point's defense is real tough.  Their man to man is incredible, in your face, defense and their zone is aggressive and hard to get into the paint.

They've held their opponents to 20 or less points at half time NINE times this year.

(Message edited by shorty on March 10, 2005)

Eric Powers

Long Time reader, first time Poster.

I just had to comment on the Pointers passing ability mentioned previously.  Over the last couple of years due to a work conflict I have had to listen to the games.  I went to the WIAC championship and then the Lawrence game and I was blown away with the unselfish play of all the Pointers.  Guys will give up decent shots, to make the extra pass for a higher percentage shot.

That is why I think the loss of Relerford will not be as huge as it would to most teams.  Once the get the ball across half court they don't need to rely on one guy to handle the ball.  We still have Lee and Hicklin to run things, and Kalsow has shown that he can bring the ball up as well if needed.

The Pointer system does not rely on the PG to score, so we are not loosing points, there are 4 other seniors on the team, so they are not loosing any leadership, they are not even loosing the teams leader in assists, we will miss his toughness but I am sure that Relerford will turn in to the teams biggest fan rallying everyone else from the bench.  So as much as all Pointers wish Relerford could play, and feel horrible that his season ended this way.  The rest of the team will be able to pick up the slack.

Scandihoovian

Many of us SCIAC fans are pulling for the Loggers tonight - bring it home for the West Coast!

And Wildcat - I predict the Cal Lu Kingsmen will demolish your beloved Cats...   in Men's tennis on Saturday http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

wildcat1144

Scandihoovian,

Yeah, the men's tennis team is still licking their wounds after getting bounced 7-0 by University of Portland.  

Hey speaking of licking wounds check out this disgusting http://www.kptv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3047061"> story!

Go Loggers!
Go NWC!

Scandihoovian

I'd hate to see what kind of demonstration that guy would use after a pep talk about putting a licking on the other team...

As always, Wildcat, you are a purveyor of fascinating insights into American culture.  With that thought I'm off to go listen to the latest http://www.stuntaz.cjb.net"> Icy Hot Stuntaz download.