WBB: Empire 8

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 31, 2004, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7express

Hey Bombers thought I'd pass this down to you, even though you may not see it until after the game:

USM is broadcasting both games this evening from Gorham.  Not sure if Ithaca has a broadcast, but you can watch the Colby-Sawyer Ithaca broadcast on littleeast.tv beginning around 5:25 5:30.  Will also have the second game USM vs Smith on there as well.

Bombers798891

Quote from: 7express on March 01, 2013, 03:28:37 PM
Hey Bombers thought I'd pass this down to you, even though you may not see it until after the game:

USM is broadcasting both games this evening from Gorham.  Not sure if Ithaca has a broadcast, but you can watch the Colby-Sawyer Ithaca broadcast on littleeast.tv beginning around 5:25 5:30.  Will also have the second game USM vs Smith on there as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Business as usual for the IC women. Colby Sawyer scores 11 points in the first 3:20. And then they score 11 points over the next 22:48. Absolutely unreal the level of defense the Bombers can play.  C-S gets it to 6 in the second half, but no closer

7express

Quote from: Bombers798891 on March 01, 2013, 09:09:39 PM
Quote from: 7express on March 01, 2013, 03:28:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Business as usual for the IC women. Colby Sawyer scores 11 points in the first 3:20. And then they score 11 points over the next 22:48. Absolutely unreal the level of defense the Bombers can play.  C-S gets it to 6 in the second half, but no closer

And you'll be happy.  Smith defeats the host USM Huskies 80-58.  Every team is a dangerous time this time a year, but I'm sure they'd rather take a neutral court matchup vs. Smith then a road game at a top 10 ranked USM team.  Since USM lost, not sure if they'll have the second round game broadcast on littleeast.tv.  It was available in the upcoming schedule this afternoon, but it's possible it gets taken down since the hosts are out.  If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Bombers798891

Bombers making quick work of Smith. Ithaca leads 39-19 at the break, and with their defense, I'm going to say this is over. Smith has absolutely nothing inside. Ithaca is out-rebounding them 30-12, and shooting 17-of-29 on two-point attempts.

Jenn Escobido has a dominant half with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Devin Shea has 14 points. Barring some sort of collapse, the Bombers are moving on to the sweet 16

Bombers798891

Man, this Ithaca team is good

Livestats stopped working with 1:20 to go and the Bombers up 72-48. Smith briefly cut the lead to 16 at the half, but this game was never in doubt.

I don't know if Smith just doesn't have interior players or what, but the Bombers were unstoppable inside. Plus-23 on the boards, and Escobido and Shea were forces inside (31 points and 22 boards). Mary Kate Tierney adds 13 and 11.

Ithaca is as good as anyone right now...

gordonmann

I watched Ithaca lose to Williams 64-60 in overtime tonight and came away very impressed with the Bombers. Their offense was crisp, their defensive stiff and their mental toughness unquestionable. Williams made a lot of big plays and had a very energetic crowd behind them, and Ithaca still fought til the very end.

The Bombers are much better than their ranking and, with most players coming back, should be a force again next year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - tonight on Hoopsville we talk to #18 Ithaca WBB coach Dan Raymond talks about the team's solid start, lone loss to Amherst and how the East Region and Empire 8 conference are shaping up this season.

You can watch the show TONIGHT starting at 7 PM EST: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2013-14/dec12
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bombers798891

The Bombers are going to surprise some people this year despite being underrated in the polls. The John Carrol game being postponed really sucks, because it really would have given a more accurate barometer of where the Bombers stand than playing the #4 team in the country on the road did.

The Empire 8 looks a bit better than the last two years, when it was Ithaca, the Wick and then a whole bunch of mediocrity (or worse). Fisher and Stevens have picked up some wins, but I still think it's going to hurt, rather than help the Bombers.

7express

I saw Hartwick their opener @ Eastern against Mount St. Mary.  Now I know MSM is winless, but Hartwick completely dominated that game.  I think they hit like 13 or 14 three pointers, forced about 25 turnovers, scored in the mid 90's, they were impressive.  I also know they beat Eastern in that championship game by a pretty wide margin as well, but didn't actually see the game.  Not sure what they've done since that first weekend.

magicman

Wow this hardly seems fair: DePauw defeats Ithaca 65-47. Bombers are 1x4 from the free throw line. DePauw goes to the free throw line 28 times and makes 19.  Isn't there some kind of rule that says that one team can't have 7 TIMES the amount of foul shots as their opponents? I mean home cooking or what? I'm surprised that Ithaca's coach only had 1 technical called against him. 

ronk

Quote from: magicman on December 31, 2013, 05:51:15 AM
Wow this hardly seems fair: DePauw defeats Ithaca 65-47. Bombers are 1x4 from the free throw line. DePauw goes to the free throw line 28 times and makes 19.  Isn't there some kind of rule that says that one team can't have 7 TIMES the amount of foul shots as their opponents? I mean home cooking or what? I'm surprised that Ithaca's coach only had 1 technical called against him.

As a recent acquaintance of the parents of one of the Ithaca starters, I watched the game to see her play for the 1st time and didn't notice any bias in the officiating; I wouldn't have thought that there was that disparity in opportunities before u mentioned it. The technical seemed to occur when a foul was called on her when it should have been called on a helping defender, instead.
  The point spread was 7-11 for most of the game except when Ithaca cut it to 4(37-33) in the 2nd half. Her shots not falling(good shots) in the 2nd half was a big factor plus Depauw being a fundamentally strong team and playing on their home court.

Bombers798891

Quote from: magicman on December 31, 2013, 05:51:15 AM

Sometimes though, physically superior teams get to the line more because players get out of position on defense and reach. The foul totals were 16-9, which, while lopsided, isn't as bad as the 28-4 FTA disparity, and certainly nothing I'd raise an eyebrow over given the caliber of opponents.

Bombers798891

I'm starting this with the caveat that, outside of Ithaca, I have no idea if any of these teams have played anyone good. I'm just not going to to digging for SOS information.

The E8 appears to be on the upswing

The last two years have been embarrassing. Combined, only four teams finished with 15 wins, and just five were above .500. The 4th team in the conference tournament was 11-15 in 2012.

This year, already, four teams have 10 wins, and a fifth has 9. Yes, some of these teams need to play each other, and so the records will flatten a bit. But you're not going to have an 11-win team as a conference tournament member.

I still think the Bombers are a major sleeper. I'm always skeptical of a team that loses its toughest games. But still, Ithaca's got three losses to teams that are ranked #1, #3, and #16, and are a combined 38-0, and the John Carroll game was easily winnable. I get that they haven't beaten many (any?) good teams, but they're a team that returns almost every key player from a team that went 27-3 last season, won two NCAA games in dominating fashion, and then lost a road overtime game in the Sweet 16.

This team is probably in the 16-20 range, not 10 spots down in the also receiving votes category. I get it, their current resume is what voters have to use to make their decision, but I think they'll finish solidly in the Top 25

Roundball999

Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 20, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
I'm starting this with the caveat that, outside of Ithaca, I have no idea if any of these teams have played anyone good. I'm just not going to to digging for SOS information.

The last two years have been embarrassing. Combined, only four teams finished with 15 wins, and just five were above .500. The 4th team in the conference tournament was 11-15 in 2012.

This year, already, four teams have 10 wins, and a fifth has 9. Yes, some of these teams need to play each other, and so the records will flatten a bit. But you're not going to have an 11-win team as a conference tournament member.

I still think the Bombers are a major sleeper. I'm always skeptical of a team that loses its toughest games. But still, Ithaca's got three losses to teams that are ranked #1, #3, and #16, and are a combined 38-0, and the John Carroll game was easily winnable. I get that they haven't beaten many (any?) good teams, but they're a team that returns almost every key player from a team that went 27-3 last season, won two NCAA games in dominating fashion, and then lost a road overtime game in the Sweet 16.

This team is probably in the 16-20 range, not 10 spots down in the also receiving votes category. I get it, their current resume is what voters have to use to make their decision, but I think they'll finish solidly in the Top 25

Massey Ratings currently has the Bombers at #32, with 41st most difficult strength of schedule so far this year.  John Carroll and Amherst both lost recently so that #32 could drop a bit when Massey updates its stats.  4 losses is tough on the ranking though the Amherst, Depauw and JC losses are "good" losses that usually don't hurt the ranking too much.  But the Hartwick loss was statistically a "bad" loss and knocking off one of the ranked teams would have helped a lot.  No doubt Ithaca is a very solid team but eventually they will probably need to beat a Top 25 team to get the recognition.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 20, 2014, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 20, 2014, 12:35:34 PM

Massey Ratings currently has the Bombers at #32, with 41st most difficult strength of schedule so far this year.  John Carroll and Amherst both lost recently so that #32 could drop a bit when Massey updates its stats.  4 losses is tough on the ranking though the Amherst, Depauw and JC losses are "good" losses that usually don't hurt the ranking too much.  But the Hartwick loss was statistically a "bad" loss and knocking off one of the ranked teams would have helped a lot.  No doubt Ithaca is a very solid team but eventually they will probably need to beat a Top 25 team to get the recognition.

I've always wondered however, if a schedule like Ithaca's isn't given enough credit when it comes to W-L.

For example, is playing four decent teams the same as playing two elite teams and two bad teams? Mathematically, a schedule may be "easier" but less likely to result in a great W-L record

I don't follow enough hoops, so I'll have to use football. If you're a pretty good team, you might very well go 2-0 against two decent teams and 1-1 playing Mount Union and a horrible team even if, when the numbers are weighed, the two decent teams give you a "harder" schedule. Not saying that's what's happening here, just wondering if it might be, given the lofty rankings of two of the teams.

Again, IC's probably ranked where they should be, I just don't think the ranking is indicative of their true talent level