WBB: Midwest Conference

Started by jeffdc, February 05, 2005, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E

I like SNC's chances in this year's conference tourney.  I think IC (or LF if they beat out IC) will be a tough test but the Knights are playing too good of D right now.  Ripon/LU will be a great matchup, not sure who wins that one - if LU has their press going and Getzoff gets hot, it could be a double digit victory for the Vikes.  For the title game, it's hard to go against SNC with the way they're playing right now.  If they play like they did Saturday, it's a conference championship and a NCAA bid.  For Lawrence to win they need Poratta and Getzoff on their games, and their diamond press to be 100% effective for them to have a chance at beating the Knights in Schuldes arena.

viking68

I agree with your assessment, E. Part of the problem that I think LU will face is getting up for another game if they beat Ripon in the 1st round. I have been involved in enough RC vs. LU match-ups in a variety of sports (as a player and a spectator) to know that you get so pumped up for that game that it is hard to follow it up with another strong performance.

I'm sure Coach Proctor will do her best to get them going again for the championship and they have some experienced players (Poratta and Getzhoff), but if they beat Ripon, it's going to be tough to come back the next day with the same fire. Their best hope is to put Ripon away early and win in a blow-out, but I don't really see that happening.

H.D.

so close to the play-offs and nobody's talkin' smack?

classy_vike

ITS ALMOST PLAYOFF TIME BABY!!!  Damn I love basketball.  Ripon or LU?  LFC or SNC?  I really think its anyones championship this year.  I am glad that LFC made the show.  I think they can get past SNC better than IC could have.  Don't by any means count out SNC.  They have a great program and I think Rachel Dom. is a super cool kid, but I am seeing (maybe secretly hoping) that they lose.  No offense, but I want my team to win.  That's that.  Ripon and LU????  What a great tournament game!  Ripon seeking revenge from their Feb loss to LU and LU seeking respect and proving they are one of the best teams in the conference.  It's going to be a great game.

I hope its a great tournament.  The last one at SNC wasn't very exciting - except for the championship game.  Good Luck to all the teams - give us spectators something to cheer about!  
(Go Vikes)

E

Sorry it's been a while since the last post!  I was a little disheartened after the loss to Ripon, but then I realized that the girls didn't have too much to play for, so it's no big surprise that they came out flat.  That being said, I think this is going to be a very very tight tournament.  LFC can certainly knock SNC out in the first game, but I think the girls on this team still have the "sweet" taste of the Sweet 16 from two years ago and want to get back there, especially this year's seniors.  

I think the Ripon/LU game will be a great one to watch.  I like the energy both Emmer and Poratta bring to the game.  The question is which Ripon squad will show up: the one that dominated SNC up here in De Pere or the one that lost three straight conference games toward the end of the season?  I think Ripon will probably beat the Vikes (sorry LU fans) and move on to the championship game vs. the Knights.  

Who will win the championship?  That's a tough one, simply because of what Ripon did to SNC last week...But I think the squad is fired up and wants to get that tournament seed.  The problem playing SNC is that we do not have one person you can key on...If you try and shut down Robak, Meg Hau will score on you...or any one of our posts will step up and have a big game.  If SNC matches or exceeds Ripon's intensity, then the conference championship will be theres.  If they come out flat again, then it's goodnight sweetheart, and Ripon gets their second straight tourney bid.  

That's all, I'm out folks

viking68

Okay, I'm going to have to disagree with you "E" - I think LU will take care of Ripon. They still have the bitter taste in their mouths from the SNC loss and desperately want a rematch to prove that their win earlier in the season wasn't a fluke.

And I don't give much weight to Ripon's performance against SNC. As you said, the Green Knights didn't have much to play for. We saw that from LU vs. Carroll on the men's side. You never want to lose certainly, but when there isn't much at stake, it's hard to get too up for it and the underdog gains an advantage.

So, my predictions are for an LU vs. SNC rematch in the title game. As I said earlier, my head can see SNC winning, but my heart is for LU!

Go Vikes!!

classy_vike

Congrats to the Redhawks.  You should cheer for who beat you, right?  Therefore I was all about my Ripon tee today.  So congrats to them.  I am very excited to see who they will play this week.  I hope the girls are having a blast tonite.  Good luck to them in the Playoffs!

Go Redhawks

viking68

As much as it pains me to say it, I do have to agree with classy_vike - Go Ripon (I never thought I would catch myself saying those words!)!! But, you have to root for the team that beat you.

Plus, it would be nice to see a MWC team make a run in the national tourney. Let's get some of that national recognition on the women's side like we are starting to get for the men - thanks to LU's run last year (you knew I couldn't leave without saying something about my Vikes!)

Go Redhawks (look - twice in one post)!!

d-mac

It is time to find out who is in... and who is out.
Whose bubble has been burst and who is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers.
It's Selection Sunday... and tonight there will be a special "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" as the 2005 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Brackets are announced... LIVE on our air!
The Road to Salem and Virginia Beach officially starts tonight!

It plans to be a huge night... as 50 womens and 48 mens teams are officially invited to the dance and a chance at a national title.

Some teams already know they are going (thanks to winning their conferences) and some think they are going, but there are always surprises.

So tonight, we will break it all down. Starting at 8:30 PM EST, we will take a look at who is definitely in, who might make it, who will be disappointed, and what match-ups you might want to look forward to seeing later in the week.

Then at 10:00 PM EST... we will broadcast LIVE the Women's Selection Show so you can find out when we do... the 50 teams on the Road to Virginia Beach.

That will be followed by the Men's Selection Show at 10:30 PM EST - when 48 teams find out what their Road to Salem will be like.

After those selections... we will go over it with a fine-tooth comb and find out who we think are the surprises!

And throughout the show, we will hear from different regions with live reports and talk to coaches that have made surprising moves into the tournament.

Of course, you can listen in thank to http://www.goucher.edu/radio">Goucher College.
We suggest you try and use the low-bandwith signal which will require you to have htpp://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde601.html?h=software-dl.real.com&r=2723cbe80ea75bfa7021&f=windows/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe&p=RealOne Player&oem=dlrhap_bb&tagtype=ie&type=dlrhap_bb">Real Player and selection the rtsp://helix.goucher.edu/broadcast/goucherradiolb">28K version of the show.
At the same time, you can listen to the Broadcastmonsters.com version, using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx">Windows Media Player (go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for more information).

And you can share your opinions and questions with us, live on the air.
email - mailto:hoopsville@d3hoops.com">hoopsville@d3hoops.com  
AOL IM - Hoopsville2000

And for more information... check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" website (http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville" target=_top>www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville)!

Again... it all starts tonight at 8:30 PM EST.

Early

WAY TO GO RIPON GIRLS!!!  
Time for yet another run in the playoffs.  Get that first home win Wednesday!  I don't know anything about Rockford, but I don't think they'll be able to handle Ripon's frontcourt of Guay (styx), Emmer, and Dehn.
Ray, when a supernatural being asks if you are a god....YOU SAY YES!!!

viking68

Home game for the Redhawk women - that's great for the MWC. Good for you, ladies!! Let's see a run!!

viking68

Hey all - MWC All-Conference is out. Congrats to Emmer for POY and to all the All-Conference selections. Ripon/SNC tied for most selections with 3. My Vikes had 2 1st teamers - Getzoff & Porrata. You can count on Stoner being on this team before she is done. She doesn't have the big point numbers, but she is a hell of a defender. She never gives anyone room to breathe!

Hey does anyone know why they do 10 1st teamers on the women's side (instead of 5 1st team, 5 2nd team, and 9/10 Honorable mention like the guys)?

Early

The power of 3 for RC!
Emmer, Dehn, and Guay.  Super studs.  

NO idea why the girls have a different All-MWC ratings.  First time I realized that.
Ray, when a supernatural being asks if you are a god....YOU SAY YES!!!

d-mac

It's time for the Big Dance... the teams are selected... the games are scheduled... and now 48 men's and 50 women's teams will take to the court this weekend with the same goal... a national title.
But who will win? The tournament previews are tonight on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Sunday night we were live when the teams were selected and we found out who was in and out. The women's bracket was done relatively well... the men's bracket seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

But now we are looking ahead at the big games this weekend. From now on its win or go home.

One of those men's teams that is one of the hottest in the nation is #17 Gustavus Adulphus... who is riding an 18-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. The Gusties now will take on Lawrence on Thursday and could face the defending National Champs, UW-Stevens Point on Saturday. So, what might Mark Hanson be thinking. We will hear from him tonight and how his team has recovered from their 4-5 start to the season.

Now... the NCAA doesn't seed the Men's and Women's Brackets... but we will!
Tonight, live on the air, we will seed the men's and women's brackets according to how we see it and how we think the NCAA was thinking. So you can get an idea of who the NCAA thinks are the top teams and who might be hosting games in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Regionals).

And there are new #1 teams in both the Men's and Women's Top-25 this week... but barely. UW-Stevens Point is just points ahead of Amherst on the men's side. And on the women's, it is just a point between Scranton and Bowdoin.

We will breakdown the final regular season Top-25 and try and figure out what the voters were thinking. Along with pointing out how not all of the Top-25 made the tournament.

And of course, we will have live regional reports from around the nation and take your questions and comments live on the air.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen in and chat with us live!

Go Hawks

Ripon over Rockford 62-57, play next at UW Stout.