05.   SUNY-Oneonta
06.   Calvin College
07.   Wheaton College-MA
08.   University of Chicago
09.   University of Puget Sound
10.   Rowan University

Preto

Calvin v. Albion highlights:

-- 1st half shots: Calvin 8 (3 on goal) ... Albion 1 (0 on goal)
-- 2nd half shots: Calvin 9 (5 on goal) ... Albion 3 (1 on goal with 10:30 left in regulation time)
-- Calvin did not score until the 74th minute of play
-- second goal 84th minute

Cowman

9/30
Albion 2, Olivet 2 (tie)

I'm very surprised to see Albion tie Olivet after giving Calvin a solid game mid-week.  Seems like it should've been a blowout by the Britons.

moooooooooooooooooo

Dark Knight

A surprising season so far. Calvin is 12-0 and ranked #5/#6? Wow.

What happened to Hope? Last year they were 15-1 in the MIAA and 18-2-1 overall. Now it's 0-2-1 in the MIAA and 3-6-2 overall. As far as I can tell, Hope lost only one all-MIAA player in Erica Pagorek, a defender, with five returning. The coach's two honorable mention players also returned. So what is going wrong?

Oval

Quote from: Dark Knight on October 09, 2006, 04:24:49 PM

What happened to Hope? Last year they were 15-1 in the MIAA and 18-2-1 overall. Now it's 0-2-1 in the MIAA and 3-6-2 overall. As far as I can tell, Hope lost only one all-MIAA player in Erica Pagorek, a defender, with five returning. The coach's two honorable mention players also returned. So what is going wrong?

re Hope

How about injuries?  Who scored big last season but not this year?  It's tough to build depth in the MIAA.  A couple key injuries can really put a team dwon.

Dark Knight

Hmmm, glancing at Hope soccer stats...

Keeper saves/game4.27.1
Goals allowed0.32.1

This is the same keeper, so Hope's defense is ailing.

Dark Knight

Offense also isn't as productive:

Shots on goal per game, 2005: 22.1. 2006:9.8.
Goals per game, 2005: 2.8 2006: 1.4.

Kristine Krcmar, who should be a senior this year, scored 9 goals last year but no goals or assists this year. Maybe she's not playing. Erin Dargas and Julia Fischer scored 5 apiece last year, but don't show up in this year's scoring stats.

But I'm not sure these stats really explain anything...

Cowman

RESULTS

Wednesday, October 11
Calvin 1, Adrian 0   ???

Wow .... how does this happen?  Sure it was raining, but did the Calvin women begin their bye a few days early?
moooooooooooooooooo

Oval

Quote from: Cowman on October 11, 2006, 11:00:46 PM
RESULTS

Wednesday, October 11
Calvin 1, Adrian 0   ???

Wow .... how does this happen?  Sure it was raining, but did the Calvin women begin their bye a few days early?

Could be as simple as playing on artificial turf.  Calvin's not used to it and it may have thrown their rhythm off.

Stinger

Id toss it up to the artificial turf and the weather conditions.  I've seen Calvin play 2 times this year and I'd say they are as good or better than Albion's women in '01 that ran the table and lost to eventual champs Ohio Wesleyan.  Only a few more games before the seeds are set for the MIAA tourney.  You dont want to be in Calvin's side of the bracket. 

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Dark Knight

Quote from: Stinger on October 12, 2006, 06:49:06 PM
Id toss it up to the artificial turf and the weather conditions.  I've seen Calvin play 2 times this year and I'd say they are as good or better than Albion's women in '01 that ran the table and lost to eventual champs Ohio Wesleyan.  Only a few more games before the seeds are set for the MIAA tourney.  You dont want to be in Calvin's side of the bracket. 

They look good, and their stats are good, but I don't think they've played any ranked teams yet. However, they play Chicago on Thursday, rated #22 by d3kicks.com. That should give us more information about how they compete with top teams.

At one game I saw a throw-in by a Calvin player that was unlike anything I've seen before. She stood about 10 yards away from the sideline, holding the ball in both hands above her head. She ran toward the line and did a forward flip, bouncing the ball on the ground with her hands still on the ball, and then coming around and landing on her feet again. As she came forward again, she threw the ball with great speed toward the box. Amazing! :o It was almost as good as a corner kick.

Stinger

It's an overrated use of the throw in, and I think done mostly for show.   Ive seen this player do this about 4 times now, and there are more like a pop up in the box.  I dont see the point.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Stinger on October 13, 2006, 12:29:46 PM
It's an overrated use of the throw in, and I think done mostly for show.   Ive seen this player do this about 4 times now, and there are more like a pop up in the box.  I dont see the point.

What, no place on your scorecard for style points, Stinger?  :'( ;)

Trailer Dog

I think the idea is greating the ball into the goal mouth, similar to a corner kick, which increases the scoring chances.  Most women cannnot throw that far with a traditional throw-in technique.

Stinger

Quote from: Dark Knight on October 13, 2006, 02:31:11 PM

What, no place on your scorecard for style points, Stinger?  :'( ;)

If you take style of substance Dark Knight.  The ball has no pace on it.  Hence the chance to get your head on it with any pace to get past the keeper. 

Lady Britons vs the Lady Hornets this afternoon. Two former K teammates coaching for that 2nd place seed.  Good stuff