Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecreddevils

sliac women's tournament is on.  higher seeds all won last night

#1 webster over #8 bc 98-47
#2 westmin over #7 iwu 85-69
#3 gu over #6 fu 81-54
#4 ec over #5 spalding 85-58

ec travels to st. louis to take on webster in a rematch of a game this past monday where the gorlocks won 91-82.  ec led that game going into the 4th quarter.  i really like this ec team, good veteran leadership with a balanced attack, great post play from olivia falls and kennedy jackson, and an aggressive defensive style under new coach jaylynn stewart.  since the men's team was frozen out of the conference tourney, it's up to the women to carry the banner for red devils hoops!

y_jack_lok

Congratulations to Principia on their first win in a long time -- 65-62 over Knox. Also, congrats to Webster for starting the season 7-0.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hoopsville is airing at 1:00 PM today and for the next several shows (due to schedule conflicts).

Here is what we have on tap today in terms of guests:
- Jordan Olufson, Webster women's coach
- Meg Barber, #9 NYU women's coach
- Sean Foster, Salve Regina men's coach
- Raul Placeres, #16 Maryville men's coach
- Ryan Scott & Mike Rejniak, Men's Top 25 Double-Take

We will recap the NCAA Convention and hit on some other notes as well.

Again, starting at 1:00 PM ET today. Watch the show here (or On Demand if you missed it): www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2021-22/jan24
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

allright... There are not many D3hoops SLIAC Women's Basketball enthusiasts around... and being down here in Florida, I have not paid any attention to the ladies game since we left St Louis several years ago.... so when I looked at the ladies standings today.. SHOCKING!!!
Yes Webster on top, though in a tie with Greenville, who won at Webster by a single point..

BUT   slightly behind with a 5-2 conference record, 10-5 overall.... PRINCIPIA!!!!????
This team shut down in 2017 and 2018, because there were simply not enough players to compete
They came back in 2019 and posted a 1-21 record
in 2020 they "fell" to 0-22
no hoops in 2021 due to covid
they come back in 2022 to go 1-19

I am not familiar with what has generated this incredible turnaround.... there is no single star.. 5 ladies averaging in double figures.. but Head Coach Ramiro Dominguez, the Prin admin, and of course the Prin ladies deserve all the credit in the world for an amazing new found success...

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Webster has pretty much dominated Women's basketball at the SLiAC level for the past half dozen years

Wash U is a consistent factor on the national level in women's D3hoops

These two schools are within 2 miles of each other...  the men's teams meet each year

Question with a smirk on my face....WHY DON'T THEY PLAY EACH OTHER?

Is Webster nervous they may get beat badly.... or is Wash U nervous of an upset by the lightly regarded SLIAC  (as has occurred in Men's hoops)?

deiscanton

Quote from: hopefan on February 04, 2023, 10:38:58 AM
Webster has pretty much dominated Women's basketball at the SLiAC level for the past half dozen years

These two schools are within 2 miles of each other...  the men's teams meet each year

Is Webster nervous they may get beat badly.... or is Wash U nervous of an upset by the lightly regarded SLIAC  (as has occurred in Men's hoops)?

On the UAA Basketball women's page, I wrote about the history of Wash U vs Webster in women's hoops.  The two sides met 17 times from the 1987-88 season to the 2015-16 season (Nancy Fahey coached Wash U in all of those games), and Wash U has a 16-1 edge over Webster in those games played.

Webster's only win over Wash U came in the 2004-05 season, when the Gorloks won by a score of 78-59 in the regular season.  However, the two teams later met that season in the first round of the NCAA DIII tournament in the final year that the tournament had a field of 50.  Wash U won that first round NCAA playoff match on March 2, 2005, 62-37, before losing at Millikin in the second round 3 days later on March 5.

In their last meeting back in the 2015-16 season, Wash U prevailed, 90-39.  Jordan Olufson coached the Gorloks in their meetings vs the Bears from 2011 on.

Recently, however, the SLIAC has proven that the league didn't need Webster to defeat Wash U.   In the Randi Henderson era, SLIAC teams have already beaten Wash U twice-- Westminster (MO) won 70-68 in Fulton, MO back in the 2018-19 season, and Greenville defeated Wash U this season, 79-70, at the Wash U Field House.

BTW, Wash U and Webster are actually 5 miles apart on Big Bend Blvd. (7 miles, if you use the NCAA mileage calculator).   Fontbonne and Wash U, on the other hand, are across the street from each other on Wydown Blvd. (at the corner of Wydown and Big Bend Blvds.) (So, why does the NCAA mileage calculator have Fontbonne and Wash U at 8 miles apart?)

hopefan

Quote from: deiscanton on February 06, 2023, 04:29:32 AM
Quote from: hopefan on February 04, 2023, 10:38:58 AM

On the UAA Basketball women's page, I wrote about the history of Wash U vs Webster in women's hoops.  The two sides met 17 times from the 1987-88 season to the 2015-16 season (Nancy Fahey coached Wash U in all of those games), and Wash U has a 16-1 edge over Webster in those games played.

Webster's only win over Wash U came in the 2004-05 season, when the Gorloks won by a score of 78-59 in the regular season.  However, the two teams later met that season in the first round of the NCAA DIII tournament in the final year that the tournament had a field of 50.  Wash U won that first round NCAA playoff match on March 2, 2005, 62-37, before losing at Millikin in the second round 3 days later on March 5.

In their last meeting back in the 2015-16 season, Wash U prevailed, 90-39.  Jordan Olufson coached the Gorloks in their meetings vs the Bears from 2011 on.

Recently, however, the SLIAC has proven that the league didn't need Webster to defeat Wash U.   In the Randi Henderson era, SLIAC teams have already beaten Wash U twice-- Westminster (MO) won 70-68 in Fulton, MO back in the 2018-19 season, and Greenville defeated Wash U this season, 79-70, at the Wash U Field House.

BTW, Wash U and Webster are actually 5 miles apart on Big Bend Blvd. (7 miles, if you use the NCAA mileage calculator).   Fontbonne and Wash U, on the other hand, are across the street from each other on Wydown Blvd. (at the corner of Wydown and Big Bend Blvds.) (So, why does the NCAA mileage calculator have Fontbonne and Wash U at 8 miles apart?)

While I appreciate the history and geography, it doesn't address the question as to why Webster and Wash U don't play each other... note, while you show the history with Wash U swamping Webster, those games ended just before the Webster program improved dramatically.   Of course I don't expect you to have an answer, but it's out there as an interesting question... perhaps our 1-2 St. Louis punch (Yjack and WuPiffff) could pose the question to their contacts....

WUPHF

Unfortunately, I do not know the coaches well enough to ask, but it is a good question.

Washington University was upset by Westminster a few seasons ago and they are still on the schedule so I am not sure that it is fear of an upset.

They do seem to be on a collision course in the NCAA tournament as mentioned.  That would be cool.

y_jack_lok

I have no idea why Webster and Wash U don't play each other. My guess is that if there is reluctance on the part of one of the schools, it's likely Webster that isn't interested.

y_jack_lok

Webster will play host and 2022 national runner-up UW-Whitewater in the NCAA tournament.

hopefan

I understand all the geographic manipulations that are necessary for setting up the NCAA regions... but such a shame Webster and Wash U couldn't have been sent to the same region for a faceoff... ( Wash U evidently not rated high enough to earn a host role, so men are hosting in St. Louis --so ladies' team had to travel too)...  and of course Webster, no matter their sterling record, was going to get a 4 seed, killed by the SLIAC stigma.

GOTTA root for the GORLASSIES on Friday Night!!!!

scottiedawg

I did not get the seeding in that pod. I think Ohio Wesleyan is waaaaaay below Webster, yet they put Webster up against the 1. Webster is my #44 overall seed, so a low 3. Ohio Wesleyan is #58. Would have been a perfect seeding matchup with Whitewater.

One thing I did notice is that there weren't a ton of 2/3 seeds in the western geographies. So some of those western pods were bound to have some teams "elevated" to 2 and 3 seed lines.

St. John Fisher has an extremely similar resume to Webster; SJF was seeded in the 2/3 matchup in their pod.

y_jack_lok

Webster and Westminster discussed in this write-up: https://d3wbbscoop.substack.com/p/oct-23-2023-notable-fifth-year-seniors

On Webster:

"Webster...Gorloks are the SLIAC favorite once again. If we were to use the term "mid-major" in D3 like we do in D1 (in this case, it'd likely be teams from one-bid leagues...so no UAA, WIAC, NESCAC, NEWMAC) Webster would be at or near the top of the list. The SLIAC certainly isn't the strongest conference in the country, and Webster's SOS is not expected to be all that high this season, but this is a program that wins year in and year out. And they have their star back for 2023-24.

"That would be Julie Baudendistel, a versatile guard/forward who averaged 15.3 points per game last year. She shoots it well from 3-point range (36% on 93 attempts last year), and averaged 6.3 rebounds per contest as well. She has started 90 career games at Webster and averaged 27.2 minutes per game. This is one of those impact fifth-year players that can really improve the outlook of a team's season. Webster is a Top 40 team for me right now and one that I expect to be playing in the NCAA Tournament in March."

On Westminster:

"Westminster (Missouri) is another program that should be a bit of a wild card due to a few unexpected losses in returning production from the 2022-23 team. But the biggest loss was known, at least around the SLIAC. Shelby Kurtz, the outstanding guard who connected on a game-winner to send Westminster to the SLIAC tournament final in the spring, won't be back. She was only a junior last season, but similar to Webster and Dittmar, was honored as a senior by Westminster throughout last year. Not having Kurtz back hurts, considering she played 843 minutes, the second-most amongst non-seniors non-returners (as far as we currently know). Not having Carli Libhart back was unexpected, however, and while she wasn't a big-time scorer (4.4 PPG), she played in all 27 games and logged 533 minutes, which is pretty substantial for a true freshman. Then you factor in Natalie Archambault, a junior last year, who is not back on the roster, and it becomes clear that Westminster will have a number of new faces in key roles this season. Archambault played 662 minutes and averaged 8.5 PPG. Westminster goes from sitting at #70 to #161."

y_jack_lok

In the SLIAC tournament championship game Webster overcomes a20 point 2nd quarter deficit to win 71-56 and extend it's record to 27-0 going into the NCAA tournament.

y_jack_lok

https://www.d3hoops.com/playoffs/women/2024/tournament-preview

"Bowdoin quadrant (Upper right)

"Best first round matchup: Two seasons ago, Webster was undefeated and got sent on the road to play Mary Hardin-Baylor in the first round because the Gorloks had a very low strength-of-schedule. The Gorloks narrowly missed beating the Crusaders, despite 22 points from Julie Baudendistel and 21 from Bethany Lancaster. This Friday, when Webster plays at No. 18 UW-Oshkosh, the Gorloks will once again be undefeated underdogs. Baudendistel and Lancaster are still there, and this is their best chance to put the Gorloks on the Division III map with a Tournament win over a perennially ranked opponent."