Shirts, and stickers and decals oh my!

Started by cawcdad, November 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cawcdad

I know there was talk about this before but I couldn't find the thresd. Anyway, today was wear a college shirt day at my school. A young lady walked into my 6th perod with a Crown shirt on. Whoa, here in California.

How often do you see shirts or other signs of D-III schools in parts of the country no where near the school?

I remember seeing Willamette and PLU bumper stickers when I was in L.A. Saw a Rowan shirt in S.F.

hatchet molly

There ia  a LaVerne Alumni license plate living in Northern California. Asmall town called Live Oak. It's about an hour north of Sacramento. Leopards in Nor Cal, OH MY!!!

KitchenSink

I was in Cooperstown, New York this summer and saw a fellow wearing a UW-Whitewater shirt.  Talked to him for a bit - he was an alum, now living in Florida.
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

MonroviaCat

I used to have a Linfield license plate holder and was flagged down on several occassions (by people in other cars) who graduated from Linfield.  One was a very old gentlemen who had graduated in the 1930's ( I don't know how he even saw the license plate holder!).  Oh yeah, I'm in Southern California so I guess if you drive in traffic long enough you'll encounter somebody who has graduated from just about any school! :)
Go Cats!

Knightstalker

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 01, 2007, 09:32:36 PM
I used to have a Linfield license plate holder and was flagged down on several occassions (by people in other cars) who graduated from Linfield.  One was a very old gentlemen who had graduated in the 1930's ( I don't know how he even saw the license plate holder!).  Oh yeah, I'm in Southern California so I guess if you drive in traffic long enough you'll encounter somebody who has graduated from just about any school! :)

Working in NYC and living in North Jersey you get the same thing.  I have seen hats, shirts, bumper stickers etc from D-III schools from all over the country around here.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

matblake

I saw a Hardin-Simmons sticker on a truck in Birmingham, Michigan (Detroit area).  I had to do a double take. 

K-Mack

Quote from: cawcdad on November 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM
I know there was talk about this before but I couldn't find the thresd.

It was going on on the Around the Nation thread.

Same with the list of famous D3 alums, that's on there too but someday needs its own thread.

I've actually taken to wearing D3 shirts from different places when I'm not working or covering games ... so the day someone says "I saw a guy on a D.C.-bound plane with a McMurry shirt on," I'll know just how small a world it is.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

cawcdad

Thanks K-Mack. I knew I wasn't imagining things. This time anyaway. :P

cawcdad

I saw a Wisconsin Eau Claire sweat shirt at Lake Quinault in Washington and a Carleton shirt at the High Desert Museum near Bend, Oregon. Both folks were surprised I knew of the schools.

Superfoot Wallace

Gallaudet University license plate bracket spotted in Indiana.

signed,
Jimmy McGinty
See that, that spells Adidas

doolittledog

Would it be possible for this site to do something like a d3sports.com store???  I know this site gets a percentage if someone links through here to buy books and things like that.  Could this site set up some type of space on here where you could buy merchandise from any of the D3 schools???  It might be mutually benefitial for both the schools and this site???  Maybe. 

Pat Coleman

Those are definitely thoughts I've had for if this were a full-time job. Unfortunately, it's not really something I have time to deal with and do a full-time job as well.  :-\

I should do more with our Amazon stuff as well. Sigh ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

theoptimist

I've never been too big of a fan of wearing internet-purchased team/college clothing....it seems a little bit like cheating to me.  Wearing a Hardin Simmons or Cal Lutheran shirt that you purchased in Abilene or Thousand Oak is certainly better (more honorable even??) than wearing one that you bought through an online warehouse or Steve & Barry's type store.

doolittledog

Quote from: theoptimist on July 20, 2008, 03:27:56 PM
I've never been too big of a fan of wearing internet-purchased team/college clothing....it seems a little bit like cheating to me.  Wearing a Hardin Simmons or Cal Lutheran shirt that you purchased in Abilene or Thousand Oak is certainly better (more honorable even??) than wearing one that you bought through an online warehouse or Steve & Barry's type store.

If it puts money in the schools coffers whether you bought it at the school bookstore or online I wouldn't think it would matter.  And if this became an added revenue stream for these schools and for this website I wouldn't see what the problem is. 

K-Mack

This has been a watershed summer for me seeing D3 car decals in the D.C. area. First off, I commute into D.C. now and often find myself stuck by the pentagon or somewhere.

Second, seeing a Johns Hopkins decal (or Bridgewater, CNU, even Gettysburg) doesn't exactly count, as they're all regional schools.

But I saw Sewanee on back-to-back days this week. I think I've spotted half the NESCAC in D.C., definitely Bates, Amherst and Wesleyan. Grinnell I think. Beloit I think. Just some real off the wall "really, here?" type of stuff.

I wish I remembered to post them as I see them, but anyway ...
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.