Iowa Wesleyan to apply to DIII

Started by CKBeber329, October 17, 2011, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Berea doesn't offer athletics scholarships. Almost every D-3 school has full-ride scholarships that they can offer (I got one at Wabash) and that in no way affects their D-3 status.

Bishopleftiesdad

But at Berea everybody gets full tuition. But the athelete would need to meet those standards. Looking at the the admission requirements:

QuoteAdmission to Berea College is academically competitive. We have a limited number of spaces in each year's entering class, and are looking for students with strong academic potential who are financially deserving.In 2010, more than half of incoming freshmen graduated in the top 20% of their high school class.

Most of our students score between 20 and 30 on the ACT (1410 -1980 SAT) and have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.0 in a strong College Prep curriculum. We also consider other factors such as community service, leadership qualities, and levels of motivation.

So it looks like Financial need is a big part of getting in.
QuoteSince Berea College provides a remarkable opportunity for promising students of limited economic resources by awarding all admitted students a four-year tuition scholarship, the College has established a policy for determining each family's financial eligibility for admission, based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Please use the quick financial estimator for a simple way to better understand if you will meet Berea's financial qualification requirement.

Not ready to apply, but interested in learning more about your likelihood of qualifying and the first year cost of attending Berea? Please use the Berea College Cost Estimator.

However, please remember that these are only general guidelines. Final determination of financial eligibility could be affected by many factors such as number of family members in college, untaxed income, and social security benefits.

Couldn't use their cost estimator I received errors in Firefox and IE.

But my guess is your EFC must be below a certain level. So not sure this would give them any "unfair" advatage. If a families EFC is low enough and the grades are where they need to be most d# schools may be competitive.

If you look at their record in the NAIA it is not impressive in baseball, I have to believe the same would hold up when transferring to D3. They may have more success, but not overwhelmingly more. 

Just Bill

Quote from: smedindy on March 09, 2012, 12:41:18 PM
Berea doesn't offer athletics scholarships. Almost every D-3 school has full-ride scholarships that they can offer (I got one at Wabash) and that in no way affects their D-3 status.

Exactly. The only catch is you can't be giving scholarships to student-athletes at a higher rate or amount than you do the general student population. And obviously, they can't be for athletic performance.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ralph Turner

A friend of mine (physician and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at a UAA school) is a Berea alum.

His children did not qualify to attend Berea because of the "Financial need" criterion.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on March 09, 2012, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: cush on March 09, 2012, 11:55:31 AM
I always thought Berea would be a good fit going d3. However, I'm not sure how that will work at the d3 level given everybody at the school has a free scholarship. What conference to join? Heartland or SAA seems like the best bet and i would think both would gladly offer them a spot. Heartland could go to 12 with TM.  Also think the saa should really try to get to 10 members with W&L too but if they don't want to move, transylvania really also fits their profile and would compact travel with 3 school's in kentucky.

http://news.blogs.wlu.edu/2012/01/10/remember-when-the-cac-is-born/

It would work fine in Division III. The rule in Division III is that you are treated the same whether you play a sport or not. At Berea you get a scholarship if you attend there whether you  play a sport or not. Granted other schools may be hesitant to let them join their conference but under Division III rules they would be fine.
I don't think that switching to D-III will dramatically change their historical competitiveness relative to the colleges that they have played as a NAIA-2 member.

WashedUp

I always thought Berea would be a good fit going d3. However, I'm not sure how that will work at the d3 level given everybody at the school has a free scholarship.

Coast Guard is a member of D3 and, like the other service academies, fully funds tuition.
MIAC Champions: 1924, 1992

Knightstalker

Quote from: WashedUp on March 10, 2012, 08:58:30 AM
I always thought Berea would be a good fit going d3. However, I'm not sure how that will work at the d3 level given everybody at the school has a free scholarship.

Coast Guard is a member of D3 and, like the other service academies, fully funds tuition.

In exchange for a 5 year commitment to the Coast Guard upon graduation.

Going  back to Alfred State, they would most likely join the SUNYAC for all sports but football where they would probably get an invite from the Empire?  The NJAC is losing three teams in the next couple of years as Buffalo State and Brockport State join the E? and West Conn leaves the NJAC.  If the E? has gone after Buff St and Brockport, Cortland can't be far behind but they may say Nuts to the E? due to old feelings.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).