2015 West Regional - Tyler, TX

Started by Westside, April 24, 2015, 10:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Westside on May 18, 2015, 08:59:35 PM
Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 18, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
I certainly understand that due to weather teams have to go to all turf fields to get games in during the season, but IMO championship games should be played on grass and dirt. There is no question, (IMO) that the "real" surface is more difficult and I saw fielding "errors" over the weekend because of the  inability of infielders to adapt to the surface.  I do not like the homogenized fields as infielders can get away with sub par skills on the turf fields, but they get exposed on a natural surface.

That makes sense when you get to a professional or D1 level, because all of the fields are extremely nice and taken care of... but at this level, every single dirt and grass field is different. It is such an advantage to the team that plays on their own field if it is dirt and grass. I would rather have a field that equalizes the teams instead of giving teams advantages.

Funny how the home team went two and out ;-)

infielddad

Because of how well Trinity played in its 1st game of its  1st Regional, after a nearly 30 day layoff, I pretty much rejected the time from the end of the SCAC tournament to the Regional as any reason for not making it to Appleton.  However, when we realize this team had 10 days from the SCAC tournament until the 1st day of the Regional, pretty much like every other team in the Regional and  unlike all the previous years, others may have been better and more objective than I have been about the time from ending the SCAC until the 1st day of the Regional as a very real factor in why Trinity could not break through before 2015.

Westside

I have no issue at all saying that Trinity has the best staff at the WS. I really hope they perform like they did at the Regional. They will be fun to watch (even though I will miss the entire thing :()
NWC Baseball

CAK72B

Quote from: infielddad on May 19, 2015, 12:15:19 AM
Because of how well Trinity played in its 1st game of its  1st Regional, after a nearly 30 day layoff, I pretty much rejected the time from the end of the SCAC tournament to the Regional as any reason for not making it to Appleton.  However, when we realize this team had 10 days from the SCAC tournament until the 1st day of the Regional, pretty much like every other team in the Regional and  unlike all the previous years, others may have been better and more objective than I have been about the time from ending the SCAC until the 1st day of the Regional as a very real factor in why Trinity could not break through before 2015.

I didn't even think about that point at all. Maybe that was a huge difference for them rather than having to live at the dorms on an empty campus for 3 weeks. I'm sure it was not a "major" reason but every little bit counts.

wildcat11

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 18, 2015, 06:54:58 PM
Quote from: Whatagame on May 18, 2015, 06:52:35 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 18, 2015, 06:26:50 PM
Quote from: CAK72B on May 17, 2015, 09:03:11 PM

A second thing I noticed is if you look at the regional winners since 2011. Chapman won on a dirt field at McMurry. 2012-2014 were won by NWC teams on turf fields. This year Trinity wins on a dirt field in Tyler. Ironic that the teams winning the regionals are playing on surfaces that they are more accustomed to. Thought it was an interesting observation.
+1!  Great Observation!

Interesting, but, when Whitworth won in 2012, they played on an all natural grass surface at home.  They did not upgrade to turf until 2014.  The only turf fields in the NWC, prior to 2014 season, were PLU and Linfield.  Now there are three.
Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't Linfield win the 2013 regional at Concordia's home field?  I thought that is grass.

CAK72B

Westside

To add a little more depth to the grass vs. turf:

Linfield over the last 5 seasons (in which they were #1 or #2 in the NWC in fielding % each season):

2010 Regional (turf): 4 errors in 5 games. [.8 errors per game]
2010 World Series (grass): 9 errors in 5 games. [1.8 errors per game]

2011 Regional (grass): 10 errors in 4 games. [2.5 errors per game]

2013 Regional (turf): 8 errors in 5 games. [1.6 errors per game]
2013 World Series (grass): 7 errors in 5 games. [1.4 errors per game]

2014 Regional (turf): 5 errors in 4 games. [1.25 errors per game]
2014 World Series (grass): 5 errors in 2 games. [2.5 errors per game]

2015 Regional (grass): 4 errors in 5 games. [.8 errors per game]

The 2011 team got exposed on grass...
The 2013 team did better on grass than turf...
The 2010 and 2014 teams struggled on grass...
The 2015 team played great on grass and still lost...
(The 2012 team... we don't talk about them :-X)

So... this pretty much just tells me that good teams win no matter what their defense on a field is like :P
NWC Baseball

CAK72B

So if my math is correct 1.07 per game on grass vs 1.67 on turf....so about an extra error every two games. Not massive but if that error is at the wrong time, like in the TU game, that could be a game changer.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 17, 2015, 08:27:40 AM
Not sure if he actually graduated, but he only played two years at TU so has eligibility remaining.    He certainly has fared better this year at Frostberg than he ever did at TU.

According to the NCAA bracket, Trinity's first game will be against 2014 NCAA runnerup Emory, 4:30pm on Friday.

Freimuth (8-2, 2 Sv, 1.62 ERA, 77.5 IP, 27BB, 97K, .193 OBA) and Gray (1.72, 8-0, 2 Sv, 1.72 ERA, 62.2 IP, 22BB, 70K, .136 OBA) both named First Team All-America by D3baseball.   Would be fun if they could meet up in the finals, and they're on opposite sides of the bracket so it *could* happen. 

BamColt

Connor Bertsch 1st team All American. I really thought Cox would slide in but gets 2nd team.
Both had a hell of a year.