MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

^^^ True. I was just observing that I (shouldn't have used "you") don't see many 6'2" guards dunking, even on breakaways -- at least not at the D3 level. Perhaps it happens more than I'm aware of. Nevertheless, he looks like a pretty good player to my unprofessional eye.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Macon

WOW, really bad timing for BC.  Surprises me that a sitting HC would make a move at this time in the season.  Too lazy to check, but why did the MC job become open?

Likewise, great pickup for MC, Coach P is top notch.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Macon on September 17, 2019, 10:50:42 AM
WOW, really bad timing for BC.  Surprises me that a sitting HC would make a move at this time in the season.  Too lazy to check, but why did the MC job become open?

Late summer when their coach took the Montclair job.

Not all that uncommon for this kind of thing. Scranton women hired in mid-September (maybe late) when they hired Trevor Woodruff away from Misericordia. I've seen even later decisions.

Coaches have lots of motivations and can't always control the timing. Sometimes they have to take the job when they have the opportunity.

Those who close down the chance of this happening are the schools by either getting the job search handled faster or by putting an interim in place.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Seatfiller

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 17, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
Quote from: Macon on September 17, 2019, 10:50:42 AM

Late summer when their coach took the Montclair job.

Not all that uncommon for this kind of thing. Scranton women hired in mid-September (maybe late) when they hired Trevor Woodruff away from Misericordia. I've seen even later decisions.

Coaches have lots of motivations and can't always control the timing. Sometimes they have to take the job when they have the opportunity.

Those who close down the chance of this happening are the schools by either getting the job search handled faster or by putting an interim in place.

This is true, but man would it suck to be a freshman who was recruited by him to go to BC.

badcall!

Yes, very bad timing for BC in terms of the coaching change but I don't think anyone there is too upset about him leaving.  In the AD's press release he didn't even thank Coach Post, just wished him well.  Referred to him as a "great basketball mind" which I think is accurate but from what I can gather, he was not a program builder by any stretch of the imagination-just a recruiter of talent.  You are not going to be successful in the ODAC or anywhere, when you continually turn over the majority of your roster every year.  I don't know who they will be able to attract at this point in the year but good luck to them and the kids in the program that were recruited by Post, as another poster alluded to.

Macon

Hopefully he's the next Buzz.  Like that we're getting local Richmond kids, first Benedictine, now Steward school.  Solid class so far, and I think they're saving the best for last.

scottiedoug

y_jack_lok

R-MC schedule is posted: https://www.rmcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

Must have had a tough time getting non-conference games as, according to this article https://www.rmcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20190926n2a24o, the 11/23 game vs H-SC is a non- conference game.

Perhaps the ODAC should play an 18 game conference schedule so schools only have to find seven non-conference opponents instead of nine.

thescottharris

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 26, 2019, 10:12:17 PMMust have had a tough time getting non-conference games as, according to this article https://www.rmcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20190926n2a24o, the 11/23 game vs H-SC is a non- conference game.
Well looks like the ODAC decided to do away with the whole playing your rival school twice a year thing then. Only way I can see justifying not having Macon vs. Sydney twice a year in-conference is if they went strictly with the SOS scheduling method that they have done with both soccers, maybe other sports too, I'm out of the loop these days since I left H-SC.

I know that SOS scheduling had been being discussed for expansion to other sports because it has been successful in getting more teams into the NCAA Tournament. Of course, it also helps the "lesser" teams not having to play all the top dogs or not play all of them twice at least, so kinda is a win-win for everyone but the old school sticklers who hate/fear change.

And looking at other team's schedules, also looks like it's been changed to a 17-game conference schedule now as everyone has 17 ODAC games. Like I said, I'm out of the loop.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Well, R-MC has 17 games against ODAC teams on the schedule, but the article cited above says that the 11/23 game vs H-SC is a non-conference game. That would mean only 16 of the games count in conference standings. So if, as you say, all other ODAC teams have 17 games against conference opponents, then perhaps for each team one of those does not count in the conference standings. Maybe someone out there has the scoop on this.

thescottharris

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 28, 2019, 04:04:40 PM
^^^ Well, R-MC has 17 games against ODAC teams on the schedule, but the article cited above says that the 11/23 game vs H-SC is a non-conference game. That would mean only 16 of the games count in conference standings. So if, as you say, all other ODAC teams have 17 games against conference opponents, then perhaps for each team one of those does not count in the conference standings. Maybe someone out there has the scoop on this.
I did a search on page for the * and it said 17 matches. Didn't see the note denoting * meant conference game on the page. So still 16 conference games. Oops