MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlgyank

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 29, 2019, 02:19:57 PM
Who are the prime candidates to take over for Garver and Cook in the starting lineup at NWU? Any big transfers coming in?

Not aware of any transfers at this point. Nate Bahe will probably be one of the new starters. I would say the other one would come from a group of Cordell Gillingham, Dylan Dirks, Austin Hall, or Peyton Priest. This could change depending on any transfers that end up coming in.

NWU will miss Cook and Garver. On a national level, I think NWU was known as an offensive team, and they were, but Cook and Garver will leave NWU as the all time leaders at NWU in 2 defensive statistics. Cook in blocked shots and Garver in steals. Those areas will not be as easy to replace as the scoring will be.

tomt4525

6'5" Denmark(WI) G/F, Zane Short, has committed to Loras.  He's a complete player who can score at all 3 levels, might be most comfortable posting up.  Good athlete too, can really get off the floor.  Can be a streaky shooter but I think he will end up being an important player for Loras down the road.

CHalter33

With NWU losing Garver and Cook this year, do they have a chance to win another National title without any significant transfers?

dunkin3117

You are talking about losing the MVP's of the ARC the last 3 years.  Replacing these two guys would be tough for anyone.  Fortunately for NWU, they return some heavy hitters that have helped them significantly over the last few years.  Most noteably Nate Schimonitz and Jack Hiller. 

rlgyank

Congratulations to Trevor Johnson on his new job as head coach of Buena Vista. As a former Prairie Wolf, I know he will do a great job. I will be rooting for him except for 2 times each year, and possibly more if they meet in the post season!!!!!

doolittledog

The amount of turnover in the coaching ranks across all sports at Buena Vista is a little alarming. Is something going on there?
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So, what are your thoughts, guys?  Would you be open to St. Thomas joining the crowd?  It is most definitely on an American River.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

doolittledog

I think the WIAC needs St Thomas more than the ARC would like St Thomas.
Basketball wise St Thomas would be a great addition to the ARC, and would add to an already strong lineup of schools. They are on a river 😅 That could be a fun road trip for everyone. Likewise in other sports they would be at or near the top in all of them and I think the trip to the cities would be enjoyable.
But this is really about football. The WIAC schools struggle to fill 3 non-con games each year. If they bring in St Thomas that schedule making becomes much easier. The WIAC schools open a new recruiting area. The travel isn't outrageous. And competitively they wouldn't be overwhelmed by St Thomas.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

rlgyank

It would be much easier for St. Thomas to join the ARC than the WIAC if you are looking at the name of the conference. The ARC has already changed their name to account for non Iowa schools, where as the WIAC might have to change their name if they added St. Thomas.    ;D

Quote from: doolittledog on May 24, 2019, 08:54:04 AM
Basketball wise St Thomas would be a great addition to the ARC, and would add to an already strong lineup of schools. They are on a river 😅 That could be a fun road trip for everyone. Likewise in other sports they would be at or near the top in all of them and I think the trip to the cities would be enjoyable.
But this is really about football. The WIAC schools struggle to fill 3 non-con games each year. If they bring in St Thomas that schedule making becomes much easier. The WIAC schools open a new recruiting area. The travel isn't outrageous. And competitively they wouldn't be overwhelmed by St Thomas.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: rlgyank on May 24, 2019, 10:42:42 AM
It would be much easier for St. Thomas to join the ARC than the WIAC if you are looking at the name of the conference. The ARC has already changed their name to account for non Iowa schools, where as the WIAC might have to change their name if they added St. Thomas.    ;D

Not necessarily. The MIAA has two Indiana schools, and it used to have an Ohio school. Yet it's still called the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

The ODAC contains two North Carolina schools, Greensboro and Guilford. Yet it's still named the Old Dominion Athletic Conference; "the Old Dominion" is the nickname of the Commonweath of Virginia.

And the NESCAC (New England Small College Athletic Conference) has a school that isn't in New England, Hamilton College.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 24, 2019, 10:49:27 AM
Quote from: rlgyank on May 24, 2019, 10:42:42 AM

Not necessarily. The MIAA has two Indiana schools, and it used to have an Ohio school. Yet it's still called the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

The ODAC contains two North Carolina schools, Greensboro and Guilford. Yet it's still named the Old Dominion Athletic Conference; "the Old Dominion" is the nickname of the Commonweath of Virginia.

And the NESCAC (New England Small College Athletic Conference) has a school that isn't in New England, Hamilton College.

Additionally, many conferences have the word "athletic" in the name when often some of the lower performing members seem challenged to live up to that label.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The last one from Ryan ... priceless.

Well done, sir.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

They've been pretty dominant in basketball too, right? Haven't they won something like 11 of the last 12 regular season titles?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

doolittledog

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 25, 2019, 02:15:32 PM

They've been pretty dominant in basketball too, right? Haven't they won something like 11 of the last 12 regular season titles?

What I meant is that it has been football that is driving the discussion.  Multiple sources have said it was the 97-0 St Thomas win over the Oles that broke the camels back.  While it is true St Thomas has also been strong in basketball (every sport really) football drove the narrative towards kicking them out of the MIAC.