MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Competition wise, it just doesn't seem like the ARC would do itself any favors by accepting St. Thomas as UST would likely dominate the ARC in the major sports of football and basketball the way it did the MIAC. They might have a tougher time with more schools in the ARC than in the MIAC, but at seasons' ends, the Tommies would still most often occupy the top rung of the standings ladder.

Regarding Buena Vista, the head basketball coach left for the top spot at NAIA Mt. Marty which is neither a bastion of academia nor an athletic powerhouse, with their basketball team averaging 5.8 wins a year over the last 10 years. Is the job at Mt. Marty really that much more attractive than the same spot at BVU? Seems implausible.

doolittledog

Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2019, 10:21:28 PM

Regarding Buena Vista, the head basketball coach left for the top spot at NAIA Mt. Marty which is neither a bastion of academia nor an athletic powerhouse, with their basketball team averaging 5.8 wins a year over the last 10 years. Is the job at Mt. Marty really that much more attractive than the same spot at BVU? Seems implausible.

There has been virtually an entire overhaul in the coaching staffs of almost every sport at BVU. I've heard some rumblings BVU is in cost saving mode. Their coaching staffs were already the lowest paid in the conference.  Many of the coaches have left for lateral moves at best, replaced by young coaches getting their first shot at head coaching positions.  Coaches now likely making less than their predecessors.  Saves money for BVU in the short term, but I would suspect makes things hard in recruiting and retaining students.  And that could hurt the bottom line more than the cost savings with lower paid coaching staffs.  Take a look at the all-sports standings for the past few years.  BVU is at the bottom, and often by a sizable margin.   
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

AndOne

Zack Jadzak has been hired as the new Head Assistant Coach at Buena Vista. For the past two seasons he has done a great job as the graduate assistant at North Central of the CCIW, from which he recently received his Masters of Leadership Studies.
There is a more detailed release about Zack on the BV web site.

rlgyank

Congratulations to the teams that received the NABC team academic excellence awards for this year. Those teams are NWU, Coe, Simpson, & Wartburg. Those were the number 1, 3, 4, and 5 teams in the standings, so they got it done both on the court and in the classroom.

AndOne

NWU's new President, Darrin Good, who assumed office on July 1st, is a graduate of CCIW member Augustana. Dr. Good comes to Lincoln from Whittier College in California. It appears he may be somewhat of a basketball fan as during his interview and selection process this past winter, he made it a point to take in 2 Plainsmen, oops Prairie Wolves, basketball games in February.
From both an athletic department, and fan standpoint, it's always nice when a University President is supportive of advancing not only the academic mission and footprint of an institution, but it's athletic growth and success as well.  8-)

dunkin3117

Students reporting to campus is right around the corner.  A lot of teams losing key seniors opens seems to leave the conference up for grabs this year.  Were there any teams that traveled out of the country this summer?

SpartyBlue

Dunkin,  any early thoughts on specifics?  NWU and Loras lose key pieces.  ARC shaping up to be interesting. 

doolittledog

Welcome to the board SpartyBlue!

And it would seem we have a UD fan as well...even better  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

SpartyBlue

Quote from: doolittledog on September 13, 2019, 10:59:46 AM

Thanks, Doolittle.  Yes, UD fan, should be a team to watch this year. 

dunkin3117

NWU (Garver/Cook) and Loras (DiCAnio/Ruggles/George) not the only teams losing key pieces.  Coe loses Timp/Winker, Wartburg will be without Sabus/Kickbush/Gehling but will welcome back Stahlkin (sp?) with open arms.  It would be hard to argue NWU at the top again to start the year, but think that there will be to many new faces to really get a good projection on the remaining slots. Simpson will be the team to watch, maybe a comfortable top 3 team this year. BV with a different HC for the 3rd year in a row.

dunkin3117

Preseason Coaches Poll
NWU
Simpson
Loras
Wartburg
Dubuque
Coe
Central
Buena Vista
Luther

After reading the coaches preview, it seems to be an overwhelming concensus that the coaches believe the ARC to be one of the most competitive in the country, and over the last 3 years, I would have to agree. 

SpartyBlue

Quote from: dunkin3117 on October 21, 2019, 06:07:21 PM
Preseason Coaches Poll
NWU
Simpson
Loras
Wartburg
Dubuque
Coe
Central
Buena Vista
Luther

After reading the coaches preview, it seems to be an overwhelming concensus that the coaches believe the ARC to be one of the most competitive in the country, and over the last 3 years, I would have to agree.

Should be a dogfight in the ARC this year.  Interesting that Simpson is second--looks like they return top three scorers.

dunkin3117

I think, for a preseason poll, it's pretty accurate.  Simpson/Loras was a toss up to me and maybe Dubuque/Coe.  I'm sure we will all see a lot of new faces this season, should be a fun one.

rlgyank

My condolences to the BVU community on the passing of Canyon Hopkins. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

DBQ1965

Quote from: SpartyBlue on September 13, 2019, 04:05:08 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on September 13, 2019, 10:59:46 AM

Thanks, Doolittle.  Yes, UD fan, should be a team to watch this year.

Hey SpartyBlue ... welcome aboard.  I spend most of my time on the football board and just came over to see what was happening here.  Otherwise I would have greeted you sooner.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀