FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVgradRUdad

looking forward to CNU coming into the NJAC, which should be one of the premier conferences in the nation, enjoyed traveling down to watch Rowan play at CNU years back ! Great Season !

cnusfinest54

Congrats on a great run in the USA South CNU. Way to fight until the end and let's make a new legacy in the NJAC!

CNU85

Congrats to CNU guys making all region team... Studer, Rudolph and Copening.

Hawks88

Schedule time! No schedule on the football site yet but the event calendar on Huntingdon's website was populated at some point today so I was able to pull the schedule from that.

9/5       Louisiana College
9/12    @Birmingham Southern
9/26    @Belhaven
10/3    NC Wesleyan
10/10   @Ferrum
10/17   @LaGrange
10/24   Methodist
10/31   @Greensboro
11/7      Maryville
11/14   Averett

Two near by road games and a trip to visit the wife's family near Jackson. Pretty nice.

Scots13

MC will be playing FCS re-boot East Tennessee State September 9th in a Thursday night game.

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on January 11, 2015, 07:28:22 PM
MC will be playing FCS re-boot East Tennessee State September 9th in a Thursday night game.

Blah.  What is the point of that match up?  Plenty of D3 options for Maryville. Hope they are getting paid good money to waste a game.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on January 11, 2015, 11:03:14 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on January 11, 2015, 07:28:22 PM

Blah.  What is the point of that match up?  Plenty of D3 options for Maryville. Hope they are getting paid good money to waste a game.

Coach Rader played at ETSU. E&H is also playing them.
I'm not sure it's wasting a game. Wasting a game was the game in 2011(?) MC played against Tennessee Tech, who went on to win the OVC. They paid MC $25k for the game. Maybe ETSU is doing the same. I know MC is renovating the weight room and needs about $20k more to hit the $100k goal.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Other than the money, what does MC get out of it? Out of division, doesn't count for trying to make or get seeded in the playoffs. First year team, so it's basically a bunch of freshman. You win you beat a freshman team. You lose, you lost to a freshman team with scholarships. Either way it doesn't mean much to anyone who thinks about it.

I understand these games when there is no one else to play or no one else who will play you. Or I guess if you really need the money. Otherwise, I don't see the point...

Scots13

Money (if there is any in this case) talks.

If MC loses to ETSU then whoop-ti-do. Look what Mercer did in 2013 as a start up--10-2. Or what ODU did in 2009 at 9-2.

But if MC beats ETSU early in the season and ETSU finishes 5-5 (because let's face it, not every team is going to be an ODU or Mercer) what does that say then? That MC beat a "team of freshmen with scholarships"? What was said about Wesley playing Charlotte in their first year?

Am I saying it's a done deal MC is going up to Johnson City and beating ETSU? no. The fact MC is D3 and ETSU is a restart FCS with scholarships, it's the most level playing field, in my mind, that you can get when you jump 2 divisions. Since Johnson City is so close and the game is on a Thursday night, travel expenses will be minimal. MC and ETSU aren't but about 2 hours apart.

And, to top it all off, recruiting has a lot to do with it. Look at ETSU's roster and you'll find a whole bunch of Knoxville area kids. They would have been pretty dang good D3 players obviously and probably decent D2 kids (Tusculum and Carson Newman are in E. Tenn.), but they were lured to JC by the fact ETSU needed a roster and had scholarships to burn. If MC beats ETSU it's basically a way for Rader & Co. to show recruits not to overlook smaller division schools in the area including D2 SAC schools like TC, C-NU, L-R, Mars Hill, etc. It would be a kick in the you-know-whats if those Knoxville area kids go to a FCS school and lose to a D3 with a chance to lose to another a few weeks later, ESPECIALLY if Maryville recruited them.
Oh yeah, and the thing about a Thursday night game helps MC in recruiting too. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was on local TV with kids from TN, VA, NC, and KY being able to see it.

And let's be honest. You'll be pulling for MC to win, just like I'll be pulling for E&H to beat them 2 weeks later and I'm no fan of E&H. It's natural as D3 guys to want to see other D3s beat higher division schools. ;D
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

5-5 or 6-4 should be attainable for ETSU. Looks like either they had trouble getting home games from established FCS programs or just wanted to make sure their home games were all winnable. 4 road games at established FCS schools. 6 home games are against a first year FCS, 2 D3's, 2 NAIA's and always dreaded College of Faith(talk about a wasted game).

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on January 12, 2015, 01:20:18 PM
5-5 or 6-4 should be attainable for ETSU. Looks like either they had trouble getting home games from established FCS programs or just wanted to make sure their home games were all winnable. 4 road games at established FCS schools. 6 home games are against a first year FCS, 2 D3's, 2 NAIA's and always dreaded College of Faith(talk about a wasted game).

Good point on little sisters of the poor, I mean College of Faith.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

If we want to talk about wasted games, Maryville could play Mount Union, UWW, UMHB, Wesley, or Linfield  all of which are D3s and most people would consider that a wasted game.
So, why not play up a few divisions, jam to a little Steve Miller Band and take the money and run?

We went 4-6 in 2011, losing to Tennessee Tech 56-7 and got paid $25k to do it. Not a bad memory for 2 reasons:
1) We got new gear
2) We played in a real Division 1 game in a real Division 1 stadium.

And to get the full side of MC's story out there, TTU had to go for it like 3 times on 4th down. Too bad they scored on 1 of them.
And they caught a 60-ish yard Hail Mary before the half for a score. So, I'd like to think the score could've been 42-7.  ;D
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

I don't think playing UMU or UWW or the power teams are wasted games. If your ambition is to compete at that level of D3, then playing those games shows you what you need to do. You are never competing at any level of FCS in D3, so playing at that level is only good for the money.

Money is it's own purpose, of course, and I understand that. As for recruiting, beating a team of freshman is a small recruiting benefit for a short time. But in a year or two or three, the recruiting advantage is silly. "We beat them as freshman, we are competitive with them! Come here, don't waste your time in FCS..." wouldn't work when that matured FCS team would essentially splat you all over the field.

As for Wesley playing Charlotte, Wesley had a different set of problems. Very few teams in D3 would play them and they needed to fill a schedule. Especially mid to end of season when the vast majority of D3 is playing conference games. Maryville isn't that intimidating, nor do they need mid/end of season non-conf slots filled. They might have scheduling problems, but not like pre-NJAC Wesley had.

Finally, being on TV is nice for recruiting, but you better hope MC is competitive. If they aren't, everyone in that area that cares, admittedly probably not that many people, is going to see a team go splat against essentially freshman. Not going to help your recruiting... If you do win, or are pretty competitive, then I agree it is a marginally useful recruiting tool for a year.

And yes, I will be pulling for MC. But I still think, outside of the money, it's a wasted game.

Ralph Turner

Good for Maryville.

Much needed cash.
A chance for players to play at a FCS venue.

(Respectfully, it is unlikely that Maryville will beat a D-3 power to give them enough extra criteria to earn a first roound home game in the "South Region" after winning the USAC.  Playoff "home game" seeding is the real reason to play a tough non-conference schedule.  Texas Lutheran still gets shipped to UMHB. The West Coast teams still fly up and down the coast.  The USAC has too few other conferences around it to build its protfolio of quality SOS, as one has in the midwest.)

Also 22 year old D-3 men are more mature than18 yr old FCS freshmen.  As with the 2011 McMurry team that beat UT-San Antonio.) It should be an interesting game.

Scots13

A matured ETSU team probably would splat Maryville or most any D3 team on the field, given the fact they can non-medical RS. They might be freshmen next season, but 19 and maybe 20 year old freshmen. Much different than a freshmen team like Berry had 2 years ago.

Better beat them early. That UTSA team McMurray beat in 2011 is in C-USA and giving teams like 'Zona a run for their money albeit going 4-8.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!