NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Mark:

Very true. I'm putting a lot of stock in that result and the free throw disparity, and less in the losses at NYU or Case Western.

sumfun

According to Massey Head to Head Ratings, there were 5 upsets yesterday:

Calvin was a 71% to29% favorite, and St. Thomas pulled it out.  Coupled with their Final Four
         experience from last year, St. Thomas could make another run even if they have to go
         through Ohio Northern or Hope.

Otterbein was a 60% to 40% over Maryville, so that's a nice win for Maryville.  Still think
         DePauw will win the next game easily.

La. College was a 90% to 10% predicted winner over Rhodes.  Great, close game, but home
          court does make a difference.  Should be a good game with Wash U. today.

Southern Maine was a 52% to 48% predicted winner over Smith.  Smith blew them out on S.
          Maine's home court.  Big win for Smith and the NEWMAC.

Ferrum was a 92% to 8% predicted winner over Huntingdon.  No one told Huntingdon that they
          were supposed to be on the other end of a blow out.

As they say.....that's why you play the game.   Good luck to all today!

Ralph Turner

That is a big win for Huntingdon women.  I am so glad that they took advantage of this year in the GSAC.  It gets tough again in the USA South.

The other near upset was WashUStL 45, UTD 40.  The biggest margin in that game was UTD by 6, and WUStL hit 2 FT"S in the last 30 secs to ice the game.

ronk

Dave,
  Good interview with the women's chair on Hoopsville. I didn't agree with her answer that Rochester hosted over Williams because they had a higher(in different) regional ranking; all regions are not equal - Rochester's(East) is considerably weaker than Williams'(NE). Williams deserved it.
  On a different topic, I didn't hear you ask her which teams became regionally-ranked for the 1st time in the final(undisclosed) rankings.

7express

Amherst, Hope, DePauw & Ithaca SHOULD be hosting the next round, but imo, the host sites are going to be Amherst, DePauw, Williams & Simpson.

Amherst & DePauw almost seem like locks.  All 4 teams are within 500 miles of Amherst, and the way they set the DePauw bracket up their going to have to fly 2 teams somewhere (either Wash U & DePauw out East to CNU OR Montclair/CNU out to DePauw/Wash U).  The other 2 are a little more complicated.
I'd say Hope would be another lock except for 2 things:
1) Since Hope is hosting the semifinals and finals, the NCAA, the past couple years hasn't let that school host the sectionals
2) The NCAA has a lot of flights to pay for the sectionals, at least 4 and possibly even more.  I already mentioned the 2 above, and in the bottom left they have to at least fly Emory north to Williams and Whitman out east to Williams.  St. Thomas to Hope is more then 500 miles which would require an extra flight but Simpson is within 500 miles of all the teams remaining in that half.  I say they get that bracket (but Hope still advances out of it).
In regards to the Williams half: Ithaca can't host because of the gym renovations even though they should.  If they put the teams in Whitman & Emory that would require flying out all 3 teams, but putting the teams in Williamstown only requires 2 flights (Emory & Whitman).

Thoughts??

ronk

I agree wrt Williams; that's why I was hoping 4 Scranton to win the regional so that they'd host the sectional by the same reasoning.

7express

Amherst, DePauw, Whitewater, and Williams the 3 hosts for next weekend.  Surprised Whitewater got it over Simpson, not surprised with the other 3.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on March 02, 2013, 10:38:08 AM
Dave,
  Good interview with the women's chair on Hoopsville. I didn't agree with her answer that Rochester hosted over Williams because they had a higher(in different) regional ranking; all regions are not equal - Rochester's(East) is considerably weaker than Williams'(NE). Williams deserved it.
  On a different topic, I didn't hear you ask her which teams became regionally-ranked for the 1st time in the final(undisclosed) rankings.

I wasn't getting anywhere with my question about who was the last two teams in... and on other questions... I didn't feel the question was worth asking because I didn't think I would actually get an answer.

As for Rochester vs. Williams hosting... I still don't agree that Williams deserved it. It wasn't like the rankings were close. In the last public rankings... Williams was #6 and Rochester was #2... I highly doubt it would have gotten closer with both teams losing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BruinFan

The geographic D3 island known as the Northwest Conference is proud of Whitman!

Looking at the last 6 seasons (2008 - current) here is what I think is the NWC record in the NCAA Tournament for the sectional weekend
(rounds 3 and 4).

Neutral Floor Games:  5-2
Games vs. Regional Host:  2-1
Total:  7-3

Do any other conferences have that kind of record? It seems that some of the familiar teams that go deep into the tournament are often hosts for either 1 or both weekends leading up to the Final 4. Geography dictates that NWC conference teams regularly travel 1500+ miles for a sectional and currently have yet to host.  The conference has risen to the challenge.

frank uible

Even we unhealthily backcrossed New Englanders suspect that Walla Walla to Williamstown is a hell of a lot farther than 1500 miles.

BruinFan

I prefer to make conservative estimates when making a point and I was quickly taking into account the trips to Missouri (Wash.U) and Texas (Howard Payne). There have also been sectional trips to Kentucky (Thomas More) and Wisconsin (Stevens Point). Upon a closer look, I would have been safe to say at least 1900 miles.

The longest distances were George Fox last year to Virgina to play at Mary Washington and Whitman's trip to Williams - however Whitman has to drive a ways before ever boarding a plane (160 miles).

BruinFan

Quote from: frank uible on March 09, 2013, 06:27:03 AM
Even we unhealthily backcrossed New Englanders suspect that Walla Walla to Williamstown is a hell of a lot farther than 1500 miles.

It is indeed.

frank uible

And it is about an 1 1/4 hour bus ride from the Albany, NY airport to Williamstown (other airports are farther away), provided that the weather is not too inclement - which it was off and on yesterday.

cciwrabblerouser

i am watching the videocast tonight between hope and uw-whitewater.  uww is the host site.

i always thought that the ncaa rules were very clear about not permitting advertising (except for its corporate partners), but at uww they don't seem to care about the rules.  even though coca-cola is a huge partner of the ncaa, the scorer's table at uww as a very large pepsi sign in front of it.  i noticed this last week as well when uww was hosting and found it strange.

why would the ncaa rep permit this?  most reps are very careful, but whoever is up there apparently doesn't have a backbone.  most schools that have this kind of gym advertising will put some sort of dark sheet or other covering to comply with ncaa rules.  what gives whitewater special privileges?

can anyone help with a reasonable answer? or doesn't whitewater and the ncaa really care????

BruinFan

Quote from: cciwrabblerouser on March 09, 2013, 08:37:25 PM
i am watching the videocast tonight between hope and uw-whitewater.  uww is the host site.

i always thought that the ncaa rules were very clear about not permitting advertising (except for its corporate partners), but at uww they don't seem to care about the rules.  even though coca-cola is a huge partner of the ncaa, the scorer's table at uww as a very large pepsi sign in front of it.  i noticed this last week as well when uww was hosting and found it strange.

why would the ncaa rep permit this?  most reps are very careful, but whoever is up there apparently doesn't have a backbone.  most schools that have this kind of gym advertising will put some sort of dark sheet or other covering to comply with ncaa rules.  what gives whitewater special privileges?

can anyone help with a reasonable answer? or doesn't whitewater and the ncaa really care????

That is different from my experience when George Fox has hosted regionals in the tournament. What you describe surprises me because I'm used to what you said about covering signage and being very careful to follow all the requirements.