BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 25, 2012, 08:26:46 AM
Quote from: Ricky Nelson on September 24, 2012, 08:13:35 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on September 23, 2012, 10:08:56 PM
2013 SCIAC schedule is starting to take shape. Does anyone know HOW the SCIAC playoffs for Pool A bid will work?

http://www.d3baseball.com/conf/SCIAC/2013/schedule

I also heard there are changes coming on regarding the Pool C bid process and what games count or not. Rumor has it all D3 games will count and not just in region. Can anyone confirm or expand on what I have heard.
What you heard was correct. All games against D-III competition will count in the primary criteria beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. The catch is that teams must play 70 percent of their competition in-region.

CU's 2012 schedule met that requirement easily.
My fear is that we will see the demise of the inter-region Spring Training trips where an east coast team comes to California to play SCIAC foes in mid-season form 20 games into the schedule.

Yeah, I cannot see why an east coast team that has not played games outside, above 32 degrees, would want to head out west or even South to play teams that are in mid season form if it will hurt their calculations for Pool C bids.

But again it comes down to WIN YOUR CONFERENCE !

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on September 25, 2012, 09:24:20 AM
2013 SCIAC schedule is starting to take shape. Does anyone know HOW the SCIAC playoffs for Pool A bid will work?

I also heard there are changes coming on regarding the Pool C bid process and what games count or not. Rumor has it all D3 games will count and not just in region. Can anyone confirm or expand on what I have heard.
What you heard was correct. All games against D-III competition will count in the primary criteria beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. The catch is that teams must play 70 percent of their competition in-region.

My fear is that we will see the demise of the inter-region Spring Training trips where an east coast team comes to California to play SCIAC foes in mid-season form 20 games into the schedule.

Yeah, I cannot see why an east coast team that has not played games outside, above 32 degrees, would want to head out west or even South to play teams that are in mid season form if it will hurt their calculations for Pool C bids.

I agree with the post above.
1) Win your conference or conference tourney for Pool A bids
2) Teams like Kean who have make an annual trip out to CA could stop this with the new rules for Pool C bids.
3) West coast teams could end up playing each other more since less teams will come to play CA teams in the SCIAC with the new rules on all D3 games count as primary criteria for Pool C bids.
4) West Coast teams have struggled filling their West Regional bracket last year with West Region only teams due to the number of teams in the region and the poor records and poor SOS for many teams.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on September 25, 2012, 09:56:03 AM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on September 25, 2012, 09:24:20 AM

I agree with the post above.
1) Win your conference or conference tourney for Pool A bids
2) Teams like Kean who have make an annual trip out to CA could stop this with the new rules for Pool C bids.
3) West coast teams could end up playing each other more since less teams will come to play CA teams in the SCIAC with the new rules on all D3 games count as primary criteria for Pool C bids.
4) West Coast teams have struggled filling their West Regional bracket last year with West Region only teams due to the number of teams in the region and the poor records and poor SOS for many teams.

West coast teams could come out to see what its like playing in February in the mid-east.  :D

OshDude

You may be correct, but it seems to me that teams have been justly rewarded in recent years for playing the best nonconference competition possible. One of the things that stuck out in my conversations was, and I'm paraphrasing here, "What did at-large teams do with the portion of the schedule that it controlled?"

For all, the Around the Nation Q&A's with the selection chairman and NCAA assistant director of championships delve into the – at that time proposed – rule change and some other things pertaining to Pool C. I recommend them. Some sports information director or athletic director should hire that writer.

CrashDavisD3

Will Chapman rebound in 2012 and get a playoff bld as a Pool A or Pool C.

Chapman lost a number of Key Seniors and starters and lost their ace pitcher to the draft. 2013 is a big question mark of what the 2013 season will be and who will be in the pitcher staff and position players. Has everyone else in the SCIAC caught up to Chapman or has Chapman dropped down a few notches in the West Region,
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

108 Stitches

Great programs have a way of rebuilding, so I would expect nothing less from Chapman.

I am looking forward to Trinity coming out for a series on the West Coast this year , so hopefully will be able to meet Crash. The TU team should be even stronger this year from what I am hearing. (Even after losing their number 1 to the draft)

BBFan62

Quote from: 108 Stitches on September 26, 2012, 08:09:55 PM
Great programs have a way of rebuilding, so I would expect nothing less from Chapman.

I am looking forward to Trinity coming out for a series on the West Coast this year , so hopefully will be able to meet Crash. The TU team should be even stronger this year from what I am hearing. (Even after losing their number 1 to the draft)
108stitches,
How is Jonathan Hall? When I was at the Chapman/Trinity game last year he hurt his shoulder. Has he recovered? I've liked Hall ever since my son played against him in travel ball and then high school.

108 Stitches

From what I hear he is back and healthy. He was one of the many injuries they had last year and I believe he will be in the middle of the order bat for them. I am not sure if he will DH more to protect him or ? He was one of the better defensive players also.

How is your son doing?

CrashDavisD3

BBFan62

Quote from: 108 Stitches on September 27, 2012, 11:07:57 PM
From what I hear he is back and healthy. He was one of the many injuries they had last year and I believe he will be in the middle of the order bat for them. I am not sure if he will DH more to protect him or ? He was one of the better defensive players also.

How is your son doing?

Ah, the long cold winter is about to descend. I look upon the upcoming season with mixed emotions because my son will be a senior. However, he did fine this past year, thanks.
He was the LL pitcher of the year and then in the summer he played in the NYCBL. In the NYCBL he ended up 4-1 with a 1.85 ERA; the league hit .167 against him. So, all in all, other than the team getting knocked out of the playoffs, he had a very nice year. Hopefully 2013 will be as good or better!
How is David doing?

CrashDavisD3

2013 SCIAC Baseball Schedule
http://www.thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2012-13/schedule

How does the SCIAC tournament work for the POOL A NCAA BID?

It appears to me that there will be 4 pool play games with top 2 teams meeting the following weekend for best of 3? Am I guessing right?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on December 09, 2012, 12:41:30 PM

It appears to me that there will be 4 pool play games with top 2 teams meeting the following weekend for best of 3? Am I guessing right?

I am not sure!  Five in one pool and four in the other?

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 09, 2012, 06:16:43 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on December 09, 2012, 12:41:30 PM

I am not sure!  Five in one pool and four in the other?
Maybe only the TOP 5 go into the SCIAC Tournament Pool Play. Top 2 move on to best 2/3 following weekend...All guesses by me. Does anyone out there know what the format will be? This will be the 1st year for this format.

dahlby

Gray Fox

Well, I looked at the schedule and saw Oxy will be playing at Austin College in early February.  That is not very far away from me, but the weather in February is usually cold.  The Chapman Hardin-Simmons series at HSU is 3 hours away from me.
Fierce When Roused