BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

The CCIW coaches poll comes out on Wednesday.

NPU isn't exactly easing into the new season. The Vikings open up their 2020 campaign a week from Friday at Birmingham-Southern, where they'll play a three-game set over the course of the weekend down there. The Panthers, who reached the CWS last season and finished with a #4 ranking in the d3baseball.com final poll, are already 2-0 this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Greg- any predictions on the coaches poll? I see NCC and IWU as 1 and 2, but after that....
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

None whatsoever, aside from North Central being a no-brainer #1 pick by everyone other than Ed Mathey.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 10, 2020, 07:55:45 PM
None whatsoever, aside from North Central being a no-brainer #1 pick by everyone other than Ed Mathey.

;D

BigPoppa

CCIW Pre-Season Coaches Poll:
Rank    Institution    Points (1st Pl. Votes)
1    North Central    62 (7)
2    Illinois Wesleyan    53 (1)
3    Millikin    42
4    Augustana    40
5    North Park    38
6    Carthage    36 (1)
7    Wheaton    29
8    Carroll    12
8    Elmhurst    12

I am not sure sure how Carthage got a first place vote from someone if the rest of the league sees them as a 7/8 team? Does someone know somethings the rest of us don't?

Gregory Sager

I'm much more curious as to who other than Ed Mathey didn't slot NCC as their #1 pick.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 13, 2020, 04:26:35 PM
I am not sure sure how Carthage got a first place vote from someone if the rest of the league sees them as a 7/8 team? Does someone know somethings the rest of us don't?

They are just channeling Big Poppa: "If they can stay healthy, they could return to the Carthage of old."

Gregory Sager

NPU dropped an 8-2 decision to Birmingham-Southern in its 2020 season opener.

Fortunately, I have learned the hard way to lower my expectations when it comes to these February trips to the Deep South.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 21, 2020, 09:22:42 PM

Fortunately, I have learned the hard way to lower my expectations when it comes to these February trips to the Deep South.

Yeah, they've been practicing outdoors for weeks; northern teams haven't.  Don't know about this specific match-up, but often southern teams have already played several games when the northern team has its opener.  Early season games can be totally misleading.

The flip side (due to cramming the whole season into a much shorter time) is that northern teams get action from LOTS of arms; southern teams may rely way too much on their top 2-3.  In the compressed postseason time frames, that can be a benefit for the northern teams.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 21, 2020, 10:37:02 PM

Yeah, they've been practicing outdoors for weeks; northern teams haven't.  Don't know about this specific match-up, but often southern teams have already played several games when the northern team has its opener.  Early season games can be totally misleading.

This was BSC's sixth game of the season.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 21, 2020, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 21, 2020, 10:37:02 PM

This was BSC's sixth game of the season.

Sounds familiar!  But they may pay for it in the postseason - with such a spread out time to get in 40 games, southern teams tend to go with their 'aces' most of the time, because they can.  With a much more compressed schedule, northern teams have to go with the whole staff.  Individual pitching honors usually go to warm-weather pitchers; postseason team wins are much more diversified.

mr_b

North Park picked up its first victory of the season with a 2-1 win over UW Oshkosh.  Matt Pizur escaped a bases-loaded, nobody-out first inning with a pair of strikeouts and went on to hurl seven shutout innings with 9 K's.  Justin Woolbright worked a two-inning save, allowing just one unearned run.  Logan Peters collected three hits for the Vikings, who will play Webster later this afternoon.

UWO's Will Michalski also pitched a fine game, allowing two runs (one earned) while fanning ten.  Hunter Staniske had two hits for the Titans.

Gregory Sager

NPU lost to Webster, 11-1, as the Gorloks roughed up starter Tyler Banks pretty badly. But the win over UWO makes it a good day, nevertheless, for a Vikings team that has been scrambling to work around some very significant early-season injuries.

mr_b

North Park bounced back for a 6-2 victory over #21 Concordia Chicago.  They got great pitching from Ethan Sund and Brendan Russ, plus a bases-clearing double by Jake Reinhart to put the game out of reach.  That wraps up a challenging 6-game start to the season in which the Vikings faced ranked opponents in five of the games.

blue_jays

UChicago swept a doubleheader from IWU, 14-5 and 11-4. The Maroons hit 4 home runs on the day.