MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Also of interest in Maryville's schedule is their conference rotation... They play local rivals Webster first each half, and Fontbonne third. It's a shame neither of the games were later in the rotation when they would be perceived as more meaningful and draw bigger crowds.  The games with Blackburn are in the 6th slot.  I also note that all of the league games are posted as 1:00 Saturdays, and 8:00 Wednesdays, a reversal of last year when the ladies played in those slots.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pete Moss

Anyone heard that MacMurray might be getting quite a player for 05-06. Rumor on campus is the player and his parents met with the coach over the week-end. If it's the same player people are talking about - Brady Greene - Mac just took a big step forward. He was an all state football player, but wants to play basketball, and he was terrific in high school and had some D1 looks. I think he went some place else last year to play football. Can anyone confirm this?

hopefan

I found some stories that were on the internet that seem to indicate he was going to go to Rice for football, though his name doesn't appear on their 2004 roster.  He was an AllState DB at Mahomet-Seymour, 6'3", 175 lbs, graduating in 2004.  So it's at least a possibility.

Pete Moss

If it's the same kid, and I think it is, I saw him play a few times against teams from Springfield and Champaign. He was very quick, good rebounder and shooter (I think he's lefthanded), and a terrific defender. I think he was an all area player and a two-time all conference player. He should fit right in at Mac. The Mac coach has to be pretty pleased about this. I wonder if he'll be a sophomore or a freshmen, in terms of eligibility?? I would think he'll have a chance to step in and play, considering Mac's record last year?? What does Mac have coming back and how good will they be?? Anyone know who some of the other recruits are for Mac and other SLIAC schools??

hopefan

Pete, if you move up this posts page, I reviewed who each team has returning.  Mac is an interesting situation, because they had NO seniors last year, but because they used the run, press and shoot system, almost everyone played relatively equal minutes and no one had distinguishing stats.  If this kid is athletic, he'll fit in well.
I do know Maryville is pretty excited about their recruits, having verbal commitments from a high scoring local guard and several out of state big men.  I don't want to go into specifics until they show up on campus however.

FC News

Well it looks like good things for the SLIAC. I know FC has committments from 12 freshmen to-be already. A 6-10 kid who will be a suprise to most people and two 6-7 players. Add in 3 transfers and things look bright.  
But as Hopefan stated, it is better to keep names and details to a limit until the first day of fall classes.

Pete Moss

From Saturday's Bloomington Pantagraph:

"Brady Greene, a 2004 Mahomet-Seymour High School graduate, has made an oral commitment to attend MacMurray College in Jacksonville and play basketball for Coach Darrin DeNeve.

The 6-foot-3 Greene led the Bullodgs in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocked shots his senior season. His 76 steals set a school record."

MacMurray got a good one here. He must be transfering in from another school, but the article didn't mention where. Wonder if he'll play football too?

Pete Moss

Anyone know of any good high school players who haven't committed yet or made plans to  play college basketball? I would think D3 basketball would be the perfect place for kids to continue, especially those who are just hitting their growth spurt and/or seeing their skills start to develop. Seems like there's a glut of kids between 6'2" and 6'4"  in this conference. Is that just the way it is? Would think a decent size post player who's just coming into his own could do well. But kids have to get in shape, stay in shape, lift weights, make their grades, some of jobs - it still stakes a commitment, whether it's D1 or D3. Hopefully more kids will give it a shot. 30 years from now, they'll wish they had it to do all over again. Will be fun to follow the SLIAC this year. From what I read and hear, there should be a lot more balance from top to bottom. MacMurray may be the surprise, with everyone back and - from what the grapevine is whispering - a very good incoming group of players. Practice starts October 15 - should be fun!

hopefan

I haven't been following the summer league in St Louis - FCnews, do you know if any team or individuals from the SLIAC have distinguished themselves?  The Maryville summer roster I saw did not include Bash - a sign the knee is not coming along very quickly?

Pete Moss

Are there any college summer leagues in central and/or southern Illinois for college players? Would be nice to watch some of the kids play, especially those in the SLIAC. Is is too late to put a team together?

hopefan

I'm only aware of the league in St. Louis - includes 4 SLIAC schools, Wash U, Merrimac Lindenwood and probably 1 or 2 others.  I believe they are already to their playoffs next week.

J-Kidd

anybody heard of any incoming freshmen for greenville college??? how u think the team will be this year???

Pete Moss

Haven't read or heard about Greenville. Heard it from a friend who heard from a friend about the following players headed to MacMurray:
Brady Greene, 6'4", Mahomet-Seymour (transfer);
Adonis Fuller, 5'10", Danville Area Community College (transfer); Jereau Sanders, 6'2", Freeport; Jordan Hoyt, 6'3", Barry; Evan Birch, 6'2", Mason City; Evan Washburn, 6'2", Pana; Nick Schmidt, 6'3", Heyworth; Wes Sapp, 5'10", Bluffs, and Ryan Gordley, 5'8", Jacksonville.

Looks like Mac would be tough in 6'4" and under league. Hope they can recruit a couple of post players. But you wonder with everyone coming back from last year's team how many of these kids will play. Anyone heard of any of these players or know how good they are? Just based on what I could find on the web, I think Greene, Washburn, Birch, and Hoyt will immediately compete for playing time. Any info on the others?

Daniel Stahley

Since there is little talk about Blackburn i thought i would update the crowd. Looks like Coach K might of gotten a inside presence that has been missing for the last two years.  He will only be eligible for one year but he will more then likely be good enough to lead them to another birth in the NCAA Tourney.  Nearing the end of school rumors through out the school had Essington not coming back and Barnett lacking a semester of eligibility.  It looks like Essington will return but Barnett is still a toss up.  

New recruits i have little knowledge of but i did hear that two of them could of contributed to the team last year.  Without Waters Blackburn is missing the backbone of the team. Hopefully they will find a leader.

Pete Moss

School's getting ready to start in less than two weeks. Any updates on SLIAC recuits, who's coming back, and who isn't? From what I can tell, just about everyone is keeping their 05-06 previews quiet until practice starts in mid-October. Guess schools really won't know who they have until they lace up their shoes. Do most of the SLIAC teams have JV teams? It seems like most teams have pretty big rosters, so I would think they would play a JV schedule. Against Millikin last season, I saw where MacMurray played 21 guys. That seems like an extraordinary number of players to run in and out. I would think you'd need a traffic cop to keep track of who was in and who was out - more like changing lines in hockey. Wonder how many SLIAC basketball squads have players who also play on the football team? I think MacMurray has one - other schools? Any word on key SLIAC players returning from major injuries, grade issues, transfers, etc? What SLIAC have the best home court facilties and best home crowd support? The worst gyms and least fan support? Lots of questions for a SLIAC rookie!