WBB: Empire 8

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 31, 2004, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: sotier on December 22, 2008, 05:04:12 PM
With the end of December, and the conference scheduale about to kick in, hows your team doing?? Who in the E8 is for real and who is a pretender?Give a big thumbs up to Alfred coach Jay Murphy. He has taken a group that struggled  last season and made them a team of 5-1 believers. How good they are we will see soon when they take on the other E8 teams.I believe that Ithaca(4-5) and Elmira (3-3) will be better in the E8. Both have played good teams, gotta believe that experience will count in the end. Stevens starting off strong is no surprise,but dont look for them to walk through the E8 as they did last season. I do not see any standout team this season,look for a "anyone can win any night " conference . Good luck.

Bombers stun Stevens with a great 2nd half comeback. 49-47. Stevens misses a free throw with 9 seconds to go and misses a tying layup as time expires. Ithaca now 7-0 in conference and 11-5 overall.

sotier

all quiet on the E8 posting front! So I'll give it a go at the season so far (around 20 games played). The teams at the top are no surprise. Ithaca, Stevens,Utica each at 9-2 conference play . All quality teams, who will end on top is anyones guess but my money is on Utica at this point. Having seen each of them play, I think that Utica simply has more scorers. They shoot the three with acuracy and consistantcy, they have quickness and can score in the paint.There only weakness is staying focused,but playoff time their coach will  DRILL FOCUS in them.
The fourth playoff team is ...who knows,Nazareth...Fisher...Hartwick...Elmira. Only two games separate them at this point.This will be more clear as Naz and Fisher play today. The winner has a good chance of the playoffs.
Elmira is a team on the edge. Seems they can play anyone close, put a scare in both Ithaca (OT) and Utica. Games all season have been close (PF-1222, PA-1220).They are a quality win from believing they can win  and learning to close a game out.Do not believe they can make the playoffs this season, and I'm sure the top three  are glad of it, for you dont know what kind of team will show up, and that makes them dangerous.

TheNextLevel

As sotier says...no surprises at the top.  I look for Utica or Stevens to win the league with  IC  on the outside looking in.  The other 6 teams are all having an up & down year...not surprising given they all have new coaches.   

After showing a lot of promise in the 1st semester, Elmira is having a tough 2nd semester.  Losing Lawlor & Kaczynski hurt...they just don't have the depth to compete for 40 minutes.  Howely didn't have a chance to prepare properly or recruit (hired in late August) making the transition much more difficult.   Given the roster and the circumstances, I don't think you could expect much more.  She appears to be able to coach, let's hope for next year...recruiting will be the key.

Quote from: sotier on February 07, 2009, 12:24:42 PM
all quiet on the E8 posting front! So I'll give it a go at the season so far (around 20 games played). The teams at the top are no surprise. Ithaca, Stevens,Utica each at 9-2 conference play . All quality teams, who will end on top is anyones guess but my money is on Utica at this point. Having seen each of them play, I think that Utica simply has more scorers. They shoot the three with acuracy and consistantcy, they have quickness and can score in the paint.There only weakness is staying focused,but playoff time their coach will  DRILL FOCUS in them.
The fourth playoff team is ...who knows,Nazareth...Fisher...Hartwick...Elmira. Only two games separate them at this point.This will be more clear as Naz and Fisher play today. The winner has a good chance of the playoffs.
Elmira is a team on the edge. Seems they can play anyone close, put a scare in both Ithaca (OT) and Utica. Games all season have been close (PF-1222, PA-1220).They are a quality win from believing they can win  and learning to close a game out.Do not believe they can make the playoffs this season, and I'm sure the top three  are glad of it, for you dont know what kind of team will show up, and that makes them dangerous.

Bombers798891

Quote from: TheNextLevel on February 13, 2009, 03:41:09 PM
As sotier says...no surprises at the top.  I look for Utica or Stevens to win the league with  IC  on the outside looking in.  The other 6 teams are all having an up & down year...not surprising given they all have new coaches.   

After showing a lot of promise in the 1st semester, Elmira is having a tough 2nd semester.  Losing Lawlor & Kaczynski hurt...they just don't have the depth to compete for 40 minutes.  Howely didn't have a chance to prepare properly or recruit (hired in late August) making the transition much more difficult.   Given the roster and the circumstances, I don't think you could expect much more.  She appears to be able to coach, let's hope for next year...recruiting will be the key.

Quote from: sotier on February 07, 2009, 12:24:42 PM

How do the three way ties work in the E8 for basketball? I think Ithaca will beat Naz and RIT to wind up 13-3. If Stevens tops Utica, there's likely going to be a three-way at 13-3.

Do they do H2H thing? IC went 3-1 against those two teams, Utica would be 1-3 and Stevens would 2-2, so that would give the Bombers the edge. Do they drop the team who lost to the worst team in conference and THEN do H2H? That would eliminate IC, and give it to Stevens based on a head to head.

Anyone know?

Although I think IC is capable of going 14-2. They host SJF tomorrow, and they are 7-0 at home. They've also beaten SJF the last two seasons at home. I think they'll have trouble, but a win isn't out of the question

Bombers798891

Stevens blows their shot at the regular season conference title, somehow losing to RIT, 63-62. Stevens falls to 9-4 in conference, three games behind Ithaca. Only an amazing comeback will save the Ducks now. Looks like it's Utica and IC now.

Bombers798891

Seriously, these WBB boards are depressing...there have been 15 posts on this board this season. I realize WBB may not have the following of other sports, but man, it's been a solid season for the conference. And the other East conferences are even worse. The NEAC boards have had three posts in three years. That's just unfortunate

Are people too lazy to register/post? Is it a geography thing? The East boards are much less active than other regions

In any event, hope the Bombers can pull it out next weekend

sotier

Hey Bombers. I also am surprised at the lack of posts in the E8 section. The only theory I can come up with is the coaching turn over in the conference has a lot of people up in the air as to how they feel about their teams. I for one have seen enough. Elmira coaching change,for as much as I criticized former coach Donahue in the past, was not one for the better.The team DID have the talent to win,that was not the problem. As a former player I can tell you one thing that was very evident about this Elmira team, they were not prepared. I will bet there was no film work, little if any scouting. And that cannot be accepted from a new coach.Coach Howley this is a Very Competative Conference,you better be prepared. And coach you better be instructional. I see players making the same errors over and over. These are smart girls,they will learn if you teach. No excuses.If frustration comes through in my tone,that is intentional.Elmira was "in" almost every game. Nearly every game in the loss column could have been in the win.
I must thank Elmira seniors Coakley and Symonds, these girls are great reps for the school. Both played with class, thats the right word CLASS.

Caz Bombers

Ithaca's win over RIT today clinched a tie for first place b/t IC and Utica.  The Bombers will host as they split with UC but swept Stevens whereas Utica only got a split with the Ducks.

1) Ithaca vs. 4) SJF; 2) Utica vs. 3) Stevens.  Extremely dangerous semifinal for IC as Fisher actually swept them by an average margin of 14.5 ppg and was the only team all year to win at the Bulb.  Go Bombers.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 22, 2009, 02:10:41 PM
Ithaca's win over RIT today clinched a tie for first place b/t IC and Utica.  The Bombers will host as they split with UC but swept Stevens whereas Utica only got a split with the Ducks.

1) Ithaca vs. 4) SJF; 2) Utica vs. 3) Stevens.  Extremely dangerous semifinal for IC as Fisher actually swept them by an average margin of 14.5 ppg and was the only team all year to win at the Bulb.  Go Bombers.

It's funny, because part of me thought "Man, the Bombers may be better off losing the game, dealing with Stevens, letting Utica deal with SJF and taking their chances.

But good job anyway

downtown_swisher

Hi all - My first post.  IMO, instructing young women on how to play the college game is asking alot of someone who didn't play college basketball herself. 

and to agree and expand on what you mention as caution to the coach, I would add that her ability (or inability to recruit and retain quality players will be evident by year 3.   

she's been a program head for a bit now right? Her bio says Arcadia U as head, but what's her record look like- that program didn't get a conference win this year in the Middle Atlantic which is pretty competitive (messiah, lebanon valley...)

Quote from: sotier on February 22, 2009, 08:32:04 AM
Hey Bombers. I also am surprised at the lack of posts in the E8 section. The only theory I can come up with is the coaching turn over in the conference has a lot of people up in the air as to how they feel about their teams. I for one have seen enough. Elmira coaching change,for as much as I criticized former coach Donahue in the past, was not one for the better.The team DID have the talent to win,that was not the problem. As a former player I can tell you one thing that was very evident about this Elmira team, they were not prepared. I will bet there was no film work, little if any scouting. And that cannot be accepted from a new coach.Coach Howley this is a Very Competative Conference,you better be prepared. And coach you better be instructional. I see players making the same errors over and over. These are smart girls,they will learn if you teach. No excuses.If frustration comes through in my tone,that is intentional.Elmira was "in" almost every game. Nearly every game in the loss column could have been in the win.
I must thank Elmira seniors Coakley and Symonds, these girls are great reps for the school. Both played with class, thats the right word CLASS.

Bombers798891

Quote from: downtown_swisher on February 26, 2009, 08:43:28 PM
Hi all - My first post.  IMO, instructing young women on how to play the college game is asking alot of someone who didn't play college basketball herself. 

and to agree and expand on what you mention as caution to the coach, I would add that her ability (or inability to recruit and retain quality players will be evident by year 3.   

she's been a program head for a bit now right? Her bio says Arcadia U as head, but what's her record look like- that program didn't get a conference win this year in the Middle Atlantic which is pretty competitive (messiah, lebanon valley...)

Quote from: sotier on February 22, 2009, 08:32:04 AM

Welcome to the boards!

Re: your first post, I sort of disagree. While I think having experience playing can only help, I don't think not having playing experience is necessarily a huge roadblock. It really depends on a lot of factors but certainly, you can have a deep knowledge of the game even if you haven't played.

TheNextLevel

My predictions for E8 playoffs

Women

Ithaca over Fisher
Utica tops Stevens

Utica wins the Womens title!
------------------
Mens

RIT tops UC

Ithaca beats Naz

Ithaca rolls RIT to win the mens title.
----------
I expect all the games will be close except the mens final.

Bombers798891

Quote from: TheNextLevel on February 27, 2009, 04:18:58 PM
My predictions for E8 playoffs

Women

Ithaca over Fisher
Utica tops Stevens

Utica wins the Womens title!
------------------
Mens

RIT tops UC

Ithaca beats Naz

Ithaca rolls RIT to win the mens title.
----------
I expect all the games will be close except the mens final.

Naz will not hang with Ithaca on the Men's side

122-90
113-86

Those are the two games they've played already this season

Caz Bombers

It'll be the Bombers and Ducks playing for the title today - Ithaca going for its 3rd win over Stevens this season.  Maybe an at-large for Stevens (21-5) if IC (18-8) beats them?

Caz Bombers

Well, Stevens won...and much to my surprise, The Guru and friends have projected Ithaca as a Pool C team.  Hope they're right!!