WBB: Empire 8

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 31, 2004, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lileyes

UC beat Ithaca at the buzzer to earn the automatic bid! Congrats to coach Davis and the Pioneers! Jess Berry made the winning shot....her 3rd and 4th points of the game, not a bad time to score! IC should still get an at-large bid. Nice to see 2 E8 teams in the NCAA's!

Bombers798891

Quote from: lileyes on February 27, 2010, 06:48:57 PM
UC beat Ithaca at the buzzer to earn the automatic bid! Congrats to coach Davis and the Pioneers! Jess Berry made the winning shot....her 3rd and 4th points of the game, not a bad time to score! IC should still get an at-large bid. Nice to see 2 E8 teams in the NCAA's!

Such an odd game...UC was in control up 31-20 and then IC went on a run. With 4 seconds to go, UC had three inbounds passes deflected out of bounds before the Berry winner.

I'm very impressed with Croll. She's so sneaky the way she comes up behind people to knock out the ball, I felt like I needed to look over my shoulder.

Kudos to the Pioneers. Croll and Berry combine for only 7 points and they win on the road. Not easy to do.

One thing to note: Utica's fans seem to have a very high basketball IQ and are very into the game (much more so than most IC fans) but they belittle the refs more than any other fans I've seen. Almost every call (and non-call) on the floor is met with disdain. I know refs aren't perfect and part of a fan's job is to complain but it'd be nice to let some of it go with out the histrionics.

SOTIER1

Good Luck to the ladys from Ithaca and Utica!! Represent the E8 well...!!!

kate

Good morning, E8 fans.  Sporadically, over the season, i've read comments on here that this is an "off" or down year for the E8.  Last night Utica came from 15 points down to beat former MAC member & Nationally ranked #9, i think, Moravian College 64/61 - Nothing off about that win!  Our Lady DeSales Bulldogs prevailed over Ithaca though, so please root them on tonight when they take on Williams.  I'll be pulling for Utica (no allegiance to Gettysburg).

lileyes

UC women fall to Gettysburg. They should be very proud of their season! Look out for UC next year!

SOTIER1

So the season ends for the E8. Another upcoming off season of renewed hope that your favorite team will somehow improve ,move up in standings,and yes get into or advance farther in year end playoffs. Sports fans are truly the great optimists.No matter how poorly your teams outcome was this season,next season WILL be different. Talk to you all next season where the Elmira Soaring Eagles will dominate...lol see what I mean!!!

Bombers798891

Quote from: kate on March 06, 2010, 10:32:54 AM
Good morning, E8 fans.  Sporadically, over the season, i've read comments on here that this is an "off" or down year for the E8.  Last night Utica came from 15 points down to beat former MAC member & Nationally ranked #9, i think, Moravian College 64/61 - Nothing off about that win!  Our Lady DeSales Bulldogs prevailed over Ithaca though, so please root them on tonight when they take on Williams.  I'll be pulling for Utica (no allegiance to Gettysburg).

Nice win by Utica, however, the Ithaca loss kind of cancels that, at least from a conference perspective...

SOTIER1

OK E8 anyone ready to talk basketball yet. Had my interest tweeked when I saw the Utica women playing in the Olean Macker. Those girls "all back"... wow they will be VERY STRONG. Let us all know about your teams recruits....how they look.

SOTIER1

LETS GO E8...practice getting going. Hows your teams recruits looking whats first impression!!

SOTIER1

Elmira....Rebuilding year....or has it been years.Looks like a good crop of newbies,hopefully they will stick through the growing pains.Where is Rupell and Lawlor ? Peterman will have to be the binding glue to hold it all together (a steady player who makes consistantly good decisions).

EC-Fan

Elmira's got some very promising freshman recruits, specifically in Zoltowski and Forrest...For the sake of the program, I truly hope that those players have the fortitude to learn how to further hone their game of Basketball rather than learning how to play the game of the mind which, over the past two years, has forced other very talented and driven players out of Elmira's roster. I am thoroughly impressed by the initial play of the newbies, but truly haven't been impressed by anything the existing "veterans" have shown to this point.  Even in life, there are Leaders and there are Followers, however, a Leader's attitude and drive cannot be successfully replaced by a Follower's mere ambition.  In a program which substitutes sycophants for athletes, things don't look good for the immediate future of Elmira's women's B-Ball.  Rebuilding of the program is indeed what needs to be accomplished if success is to be achieved in the extremely competitive ranks of the Empire 8 Conference.  Veteran experience surely will take a back seat to the promising new splash of youth in regard to being the formula for success for the Soaring Eagles.  It's time for the Freshmen to STEP UP and turn this team around !!!   

tecmobowler

Last night was a decent start..
Thousands of fans join in the revelry, showing their Bomber pride and support for the football team. Some fans take the rowdiness a little too far, however, by starting fights, damaging property and tipping Port-a-Potties. -Ithacan, November 10th

Bombers798891

Bomber women roll Alfred 93-42. Kind of an ugly game, as the Saxons had 31 turnovers. Riley Dunn leads the Bombers with 17, but it was really a team effort as nine Bombers had five points and eight had at least four rebounds.

Big win for Ithaca, as the Bombers are now 3-0 in conference.

The Empire 8 frankly looks pretty bad this season. Ithaca and Stevens are the only two teams over .500. Ithaca's 7-5, but with three of their losses coming against either Top 10 or D-1 teams, they've got to be the #2 behind Stevens.

I can't figure out why Utica struggles like they do (rough schedule?) but for a team with Berry, Fiore, McGee and Croll to be 5-6 is kind of shocking. Three of the Top 16 scorers, the top two in assists, the top rebounder and two of the top three in FG percentage. How are they not better? Lack of depth?

My only pet peeve was with the IC/Alfred game was the officiating. 38 fouls called, including 23 in the second half, during which the game was never closer than 20 points, and was 55-22 with 16:43 to go.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish officials would let stuff go on both sides when we get to that point. I know some of it's inevitable, and I'm not saying let it go into a free-for-all, but I kind of wish they'd just let them play. There were seven fouls called in less than a four-minute span that began with Ithaca up 75-37 with less than 8 minutes to go. Made a not-good game drag on forever

SOTIER1

I want to agree with you Bombers on the officals letting some calls go "uncalled" in a blowout game situation. But my inner coach just cant get to that point. I would rather they stay consistant throughout.
As you are, I am very surprized by Utica's performance to this point, but I gotta believe now that the heart of E8 play is  upon us that their returning players will come through. I still believe that they will be on top at year end.
I wish I could say the same for Elmira. Oh for the days when opponents did not look forward to playing you, but rather feared you.I have reached the point of supporting the players, while waiting for a change.

TheNextLevel

Well deserved Congratulations to Jessica Berry of Utica for breaking the school scoring record earlier this week.  An excellent blue collar player who works hard and  plays with a team first mentality.  She is only 56 rebounds short of 1,000 and closing in on 2,000 points as well.