WBB: Empire 8

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 31, 2004, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotier

Is it HOOPS yet?? I love the summer time, I really do. A little golf,watch some baseball (actually a lot of baseball),some boating,some fishing, ect. But at heart I'm a gym rat. The next month always seems to drag on and on in anticipation of the comming hoops season. The hoops info here at D3 helps enormously in this torturous time. My GOD is it November yet!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sotier on September 10, 2007, 04:45:40 PM
Question? Is there a set limit to how many players a team can have on their roster?

Not by NCAA rule. Some conferences place restrictions on how many can be on the roster and even more restrict how many can dress for games, but the NCAA doesn't have any roster rules.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sotier

Thank you Pat for the info. Have always wondered about roster limits, and now I know how it works. I am surprised that the NCAA does not have a number as to the roster. Seems that they have specifics on most everything else. So I guess it is greatly up to the particular coach, and how many players they can comfortably manage. My own personal obsevation, most rosters are to large. Unless you are a coach who can keep your "bench warmers" motivated,you only invite discontent by having too many of them. Lets hear what others out there think.

WWWRHH

However, the NCAA places a limit of 15 players active per game during the post season tournament.  Hope had a roster of 16 in their championship 2005-2006 season, but had to leave a player off the roster each game.  The roster can change game to game in this situation.

sotier

Thank you, WWWRHH, good info. thanks for the response.

sotier

Checking the rosters of the E8. Question....Where is Whitney Smith?? the E8 rookie of the year, and outstanding Nazareth player last year. Injury? Transfer? Would appreciate any info.It's almost post time, so pick your horse and place your bets......YEAAAAAAA

Caz Bombers

Quote from: sotier on November 07, 2007, 10:30:51 AM
Checking the rosters of the E8. Question....Where is Whitney Smith?? the E8 rookie of the year, and outstanding Nazareth player last year. Injury? Transfer? Would appreciate any info.It's almost post time, so pick your horse and place your bets......YEAAAAAAA

Transferred to Brockport.

IC, Elmira, Stevens and Fisher are the contenders, Utica and maybe RIT around, Naz and Hartwick probably second-division and I will believe Alfred is awful as usual until proven otherwise.

sotier

Thanks for the info ,Caz. I also am going to agree with you on your league assessment. Ithaca,Elmira, Stevens in top group.I know they are new to the E8, but Stevens put up an impressive year last year, and return nearly all, perhaps they are the ones to beat. They get some home games (4) against the Conference to start and that will surely help them to a good start. I got Fisher,Utica, RIT in the second tier. I know some have Fisher as a contender,but I just dont see it. Saw them a number of times last year and they were unimpressive,just no "pop" to their game. Acted as if they were playing on rep.Naz, Hartwick, and Alfred in the lower group. Hartwick could surprise us, perhaps a new coach can inject some added excitement. Alfred players gave effort when I saw them, but they simply lack the talent to hang with the better teams for a full game.Bring it on!!!!

lom

I was at Utica last week for their scrimmage against SUNY New Paltz, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  Utica had 15 or 16 girls in the gym, up from about 8 or 9 from last year.  They had two new comers that looked very good, a quick athletic guard and a solid post player.  Utica lost the scrimmage by about 10 but things look promising for the Pioneers. 
I must say that New Paltz looked good at times as well.  The game was very fast paced and high scoring, New Paltz won something like 85-74.  I don't think their 4th place finish in the SUNYAC a year ago was a fluke.
I think that both teams will have some good things going for them this year.

sotier

thanks for the report, lom. Thats the kind of first hand reporting that has meaningful info.Speculation is one thing,but an "eyes on" in the gym is the best.Keep us filled in as the season progresses.

Caz Bombers

From the Ithaca website and a quick Google search, it seems IC has a Division I transfer for the first time since I started following them.  Lindsay Brown, a soph who came off the bench for Manhattan College...started 1 game, averaged the usual 1.5 ppg or something lke that.  Maybe this is more her level in the E8 though.

gobombers15

Also, I have to think that Erika Steele of IC has to be the favorite to win E8 POY. Say what you will about Lindsay Wilson of Hartwick and Ava Thomas of Utica, and both are great players, but Steele put up some silly box scores during the conference season and post-season last year.

Steele was named 1st team all-region. Here's the link to see the teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/all-region/07/eastwom.htm

A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: gobombers15 on November 15, 2007, 11:55:17 PM
Also, I have to think that Erika Steele of IC has to be the favorite to win E8 POY. Say what you will about Lindsay Wilson of Hartwick and Ava Thomas of Utica, and both are great players, but Steele put up some silly box scores during the conference season and post-season last year.

Steele was named 1st team all-region. Here's the link to see the teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/all-region/07/eastwom.htm

I'll say that they both graduated so Steele could very well be the Preseason Player of the Year (do they do that in the E8? I don't think the men did a preseason team).

I just looked up Stevens for the first time, seems like every sport they've come into the E8 loaded and wbb is no exception.  All 5 starters back from last year's 21-7, 13-3 Skyline team.  Senior forward Dora Enright averaged 15 and 10.

JQV

Check out the Bombers rocking the all golds at home this year:

DR keeps his unprecedented streak of having the coolest new unis every season.

Caz Bombers

Meh.  Where's the blue?  They look like Georgia Tech in that photo.