D3 Championship Belt

Started by Just Bill, January 24, 2007, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 20, 2019, 01:45:16 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 20, 2019, 01:13:02 PM
I'm sure Silver Lake College would be more than happy to take a beating from Oshkosh just so they can be in the same building as The BeltTM

The Belt is not on the line in a game vs. Silver Lake. I wouldn't even bring The Belt into The Building in that case.
Once again, the Moderator of the message boards has to remind us of the Terms of Service for participation on these message boards.

The fact that it happened today with the respect to The BeltTM should be sufficient warning for lesser infractions.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2019, 04:00:56 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 20, 2019, 01:45:16 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 20, 2019, 01:13:02 PM
I'm sure Silver Lake College would be more than happy to take a beating from Oshkosh just so they can be in the same building as The BeltTM

The Belt is not on the line in a game vs. Silver Lake. I wouldn't even bring The Belt into The Building in that case.
Once again, the Moderator of the message boards has to remind us of the Terms of Service for participation on these message boards.

The fact that it happened today with the respect to The BeltTM should be sufficient warning for lesser infractions.

True - but he is much less frightening than The WeaselsTM, who may not be terribly happy regarding his lack of proper homage in writing ItsTM name
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Gregory Sager

Pat's convinced that he's found the antidote to Just Bill's law firm:

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Wishing everyone a Happy Spring!  (The Vernal Equinox occurred a 5:58 EDT.)  Now if it would only feel more spring-like outside - or have The WeaselsTM gotten a restraining order against spring weather?

kiko

I'll bet Stevens Point has already started practicing in mouthwatering anticipation of a potential BeltTM matchup next season...

(Too soon?)

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: kiko on March 21, 2019, 01:40:29 AM
I'll bet Stevens Point has already started practicing in mouthwatering anticipation of a potential BeltTM matchup next season...

(Too soon?)

Really? Is that necessary? They started last week! LOL :P ;D :D ;)

edited to show my sarcasm
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 21, 2019, 05:48:40 AM
Quote from: kiko on March 21, 2019, 01:40:29 AM

(Too soon?)

Really? Is that necessary? They started last week.

Today's the day, by the way.  It's the deadline for UWSP to submit their plan for accommodating Semling's show-cause order.  If he survives the day, he's definitely staying for the long haul.  The show-cause isn't super odious, so I always expected he'd be fine, but the doubters won't have much evidence by tomorrow.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am dying with laughter right now.

BTW - UWSP may have the deadline as now, but they are also hosting the Men's Ice Hockey final four ... bad timing! HAHA
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

kiko

It's behind a paywall, so I will only quote the first bit.  The BeltTM is an urban legend?!? I beg to differ.  And, these guys are terrible with trademark enforcement...

https://theathletic.com/888513/2019/03/29/ready-to-strike-tomorrow-how-one-20-trinket-captures-the-strife-within-a-10-billion-industry/

'Ready to strike tomorrow': How one $20 toy belt captures the strife within a $10 billion industry

By Marc Carig
Mar 29, 2019

The​ Belt​ changes hands​ shortly after season's end,​ in​ a crowded​ conference​ room​ at​ a luxury​ resort,​ where delegates​​ from every MLB team have been summoned for a symposium on arbitration. For three hours, they will work together at the direction of the league to set recommendations, which teams will use in negotiations with their players. It's a thankless job. So before the meeting adjourns, they'll celebrate an unsung hero in this battle over dollars. The ceremony ends with the presentation of a replica championship belt, awarded by the league to the team that did most to "achieve the goals set by the industry." In other words: The team that did the most to keep salaries down in arbitration.

For the last few years, The Belt has been an urban legend of sorts, known mostly by player agents and the small circle of mid-level team officials tasked with the tedious process of arbitration. But its existence, confirmed to The Athletic by multiple sources, has emerged as a tangible example of the animosity that could plunge the sport into a bruising labor conflict.

To its creators, it is nothing more than a morale booster, a nod for a job well done in the unglamorous arena of arbitration. But to others within the industry, it is emblematic of a climate in which the livelihoods of players can be turned into a parlor game.

In a statement, Major League Baseball acknowledged The Belt as "an informal recognition of those club's salary arbitration departments that did the best."

lmitzel

I asked for an Athletic subscription for my birthday more so because a bunch of writers I like are on there... but little did I know there'd be potential WeasalTM bait within that subscription.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Just Bill

Quote from: kiko on March 30, 2019, 02:11:12 AM
It's behind a paywall, so I will only quote the first bit.  The BeltTM is an urban legend?!? I beg to differ.  And, these guys are terrible with trademark enforcement...

https://theathletic.com/888513/2019/03/29/ready-to-strike-tomorrow-how-one-20-trinket-captures-the-strife-within-a-10-billion-industry/

'Ready to strike tomorrow': How one $20 toy belt captures the strife within a $10 billion industry

By Marc Carig
Mar 29, 2019

The​ Belt​ changes hands​ shortly after season's end,​ in​ a crowded​ conference​ room​ at​ a luxury​ resort,​ where delegates​​ from every MLB team have been summoned for a symposium on arbitration. For three hours, they will work together at the direction of the league to set recommendations, which teams will use in negotiations with their players. It's a thankless job. So before the meeting adjourns, they'll celebrate an unsung hero in this battle over dollars. The ceremony ends with the presentation of a replica championship belt, awarded by the league to the team that did most to "achieve the goals set by the industry." In other words: The team that did the most to keep salaries down in arbitration.

For the last few years, The Belt has been an urban legend of sorts, known mostly by player agents and the small circle of mid-level team officials tasked with the tedious process of arbitration. But its existence, confirmed to The Athletic by multiple sources, has emerged as a tangible example of the animosity that could plunge the sport into a bruising labor conflict.

To its creators, it is nothing more than a morale booster, a nod for a job well done in the unglamorous arena of arbitration. But to others within the industry, it is emblematic of a climate in which the livelihoods of players can be turned into a parlor game.

In a statement, Major League Baseball acknowledged The Belt as "an informal recognition of those club's salary arbitration departments that did the best."

Go get 'em weasels. Daddy needs an overwater bungalow in the Maldives.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

lmitzel

Well, we're just over a week out from the return of The BeltTM...

And honestly, never have I rooted against Augustana in a non-conference game so hard.
#THREEEEEEEEE

lmitzel

From Saturday...

UW-Oshkosh 74, Augustana 67

Oshkosh keeps The BeltTM and next takes it on the road to face... North Central.

I've been waiting to post this GIF for like four months.

#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

A GIF selfie? Once again, The BeltTM board breaks new ground.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 11, 2019, 10:43:04 AM
A GIF selfie? Once again, The BeltTM board breaks new ground.

And unfortunately the site I did this on only keeps the link active for like an hour after I make it, so alas... it is lost to the sands of time. And my hard drive, but the GIF is a little over the maximum allowed file size.
#THREEEEEEEEE