Toughest Place to Play in Your Conference

Started by e_lee, August 22, 2005, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

I think the rest of the WIAC might have to agree that it's Perkins Stadium at UWW. It's hard for the visiting school not to feel belittled by the 11,000+ stands, jumbo-tron, sound system, etc...

You especially see the intimidation when smaller non-conference schools (the NAIA) come to whitewater. It was like the movie Hoosiers when the small-town team first steps inside the huge basketball arena.

fat_old_LB

I would love to see a game at St. Johns at some point, I love the fact that they are getting that many people to see their games.  its a shame a lot of our local team (OHIO) can't seem to do that week in and week out. 

Ill never forget my senior year of H.S. being recruited by BW and going to the Mount game in 98 at BW barely even finding a seat on the hill.  I heard that it was a record crowd for D3 that year (but apparently judging by these numbers im seeing for St. Johns that it was incorrect) but i remember hearing over 10,000 for the BW-Mount game in 98.  anybody out there confirm or deny that?  The one memory that stands out in my mind from that game, and one reason why I decided to go to BW, as I was watching this conference championship game was when some shall we say slightly inebriated young gentleman from a BW fraternity went and "borrowed" the giant Mount Union  flag and ran it back into the student section on the hill.  When some Mount guy cheerleaders came to try and get it back they got greeted by a few fists and shoes.  i dont condone that, but i loved the fact that it seemed like this was a great rivalry and I wanted to be apart of it.   i just wish BW was more competitive the 5 (yes i said 5....no Im not a doctor) years i was there.  had some great games, just never won one(other than our JV game the next year, which we all know doesnt matter, but it felt good!)

As a player I loved bringing teams in to BW, I felt proud to have that as my home field.  in terms of toughest places to play?  logistically, before Capital redid their place, I remember sitting outside while it was snowing changing since they had us changing in a broom closet with 2 working showersfor all 60 of us.  All the parents are walking by watching us change since it had no doors.  we won 55-7, but that sucked.   

Go Eagles!
Go Jackets!

K-Mack

Oh yeah, we had to use the pool at Emory & Henry and the weight room at Guilford. I got some D3 stories ...

Baldwin-Wallace seems like an awesome place to play. The sunken-in field surrounded by the concrete walls is like a true stadium. Haven't they fixed the turf up?

I asked Mount about their largest crowds and none had touched 9,000; I wonder if that was only taking home crowds into consideration.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

sflzman

I want to know what people think of the MIAA. I've been to Albion and there's nothing great about that stadium or the crowd noise. At Alma, it gets extremely loud thanks to strong support of the public area and of course the Kiltie Marching Band, but there's nothing special about the stadium...
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

fat_old_LB

Quote from: sflzman on October 28, 2010, 09:52:22 PM
I want to know what people think of the MIAA. I've been to Albion and there's nothing great about that stadium or the crowd noise. At Alma, it gets extremely loud thanks to strong support of the public area and of course the Kiltie Marching Band, but there's nothing special about the stadium...
We played Adrian my sophomore year, but I dont really know much about their school, we played at a High School stadium?  I dont know if they always did or if it was just because they had construction going on or what, it was the first game of the season so that may have impacted it. 
Go Eagles!
Go Jackets!

fat_old_LB

Quote from: K-Mack on October 28, 2010, 09:42:42 PM
Oh yeah, we had to use the pool at Emory & Henry and the weight room at Guilford. I got some D3 stories ...

Baldwin-Wallace seems like an awesome place to play. The sunken-in field surrounded by the concrete walls is like a true stadium. Haven't they fixed the turf up?

I asked Mount about their largest crowds and none had touched 9,000; I wonder if that was only taking home crowds into consideration.
Yes we finally got new turf a few years ago, the new field grass style, and the stadium has been painted over, new track as well its really sharp looking now.  If i can figure out how to post a photo on here Ill do that, or maybe Pat can do that...
In regards to the crowds, I KNOW that in 98 that Mount game at BW, it was standing room only and the stadium seats 8000 according to the stats.  I dont know if they registered a number for that game or not, but it was nearly 10,000 for sure.  there was no room to move anywhere there.  no less than 9,000 at minimum.  I also thought that in 2003 when Mount was ranked #1 and we were ranked #3  i thought they said in the game notes that there was 9400 or so there.  But i dont know how to verify that.
Go Eagles!
Go Jackets!

jam40jeff

Quote from: fat_old_LB on November 05, 2010, 11:21:46 AM

Yes we finally got new turf a few years ago, the new field grass style, and the stadium has been painted over, new track as well its really sharp looking now.  If i can figure out how to post a photo on here Ill do that, or maybe Pat can do that...
In regards to the crowds, I KNOW that in 98 that Mount game at BW, it was standing room only and the stadium seats 8000 according to the stats.  I dont know if they registered a number for that game or not, but it was nearly 10,000 for sure.  there was no room to move anywhere there.  no less than 9,000 at minimum.  I also thought that in 2003 when Mount was ranked #1 and we were ranked #3  i thought they said in the game notes that there was 9400 or so there.  But i dont know how to verify that.

The Internet, of course! :P

http://www.bw.edu/athletics/fb/03football/FBGAME02.htm

Mount Union extends college football's current longest
winning streak to 44 games in front of a record crowd at
Mount Union Stadium (8,732).

HScoach

I can confirm your memories of that MTU/BW game.  Including the reception that the cheerleaders got.  That was a fun one.  Especially since we left happy.  ;)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

sflzman

Quote from: fat_old_LB on November 05, 2010, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: sflzman on October 28, 2010, 09:52:22 PM
We played Adrian my sophomore year, but I dont really know much about their school, we played at a High School stadium?  I dont know if they always did or if it was just because they had construction going on or what, it was the first game of the season so that may have impacted it. 

Here was the ESPN feature when Adrian opened the new stadium in 2005. It was the first time they played on campus in 45 years
http://www.adrian.edu/sports/football_espn_06.php
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

fat_old_LB

I checked the website out, that is a good looking stadium!  wish they had that back in 01.  Good for them though, its a great feeling Im sure to have your own field instead of sharing. 
Go Eagles!
Go Jackets!

Ralph Turner

Apparently no place in D-III is a tough to play as in Wrigley Field.

FTA ...

Quote...In response to the fact that the back-middle of the east end zone was just a foot from a thickly padded wall, the Big Ten has decided not to use that end zone for any offensive plays.

This sounds like some of the old gymnasia that weren't the regulation 94' that we used to have in D-III.

AUKaz00

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 19, 2010, 02:16:13 PM
Apparently no place in D-III is a tough to play as in Wrigley Field.

FTA ...

Quote...In response to the fact that the back-middle of the east end zone was just a foot from a thickly padded wall, the Big Ten has decided not to use that end zone for any offensive plays.

This sounds like some of the old gymnasia that weren't the regulation 94' that we used to have in D-III.

Sucks to have bought seats in the right field bleachers...
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

K-Mack

Top crowds this season. Looks like a pretty good year, though not a good table that I'm reposting from NCAA date:

Rank   Home Team   Opponent   Date   Attendance
1   St. John's (MN)   St. Thomas (MN)   02-OCT-10   16421
2   Wis.-Whitewater   Wis.-Stout   09-OCT-10   12189
3   Hampden-Sydney   Randolph-Macon   13-NOV-10   12113
4   Wabash   DePauw   13-NOV-10   11743
5   Wis.-Whitewater   Wis.-Stevens Point   30-OCT-10   11448
6   Cortland St.   Ithaca   13-NOV-10   10300
7   Amherst   Williams   13-NOV-10   10145
8   Hampden-Sydney   Emory & Henry   16-OCT-10   9916
9   St. John's (MN)   Gust. Adolphus   23-OCT-10   9178
10   Emory & Henry   Virginia-Wise   18-SEP-10   8520
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

I asked UMU if they'd ever been involved in a game home or away 9,000+ and they said no.

Could be that we somehow got our lines crossed and they meant they only never had a 9,000+ home crowd. But for when I mentioned it in the column this year I did ask.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

hazzben

Quote from: K-Mack on November 28, 2010, 01:42:26 PM

I asked UMU if they'd ever been involved in a game home or away 9,000+ and they said no.

Could be that we somehow got our lines crossed and they meant they only never had a 9,000+ home crowd. But for when I mentioned it in the column this year I did ask.

Well, that might be one small benefit to UMU going on the road in the playoffs. I'd bet a semi-final game at UWW or at SJU would pull in a pretty hefty crowd. Obviously a regular season game would be fun as well, and probably a larger crowd given the free admission for students during regular season games.

Man, the more I think about it, the more it would be fun. UMU @ UWW, regular season showdown. It'd put a lot on the line, the loser would have to win out to ensure the playoffs, but can you imagine what the crowd would be like!?!