FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat

Thats why Jeff Devanney will never leave Trinity. He won't make the Priore mistake.

Scoops

I think you're absolutely right about the previous few Tufts recruiting classes. Which is why this year's class so far is so disappointing. They have a ton of talented guys from out of region, and it seems like this year they went back to the local strategy that kept them at the bottom of the league for so long. In seeing some of the Twitter commitments and watching the tape, there's really only one or two kids who look at all impressive this far. Granted there's plenty of time for that to change, but I have a hard time believing this is their best work. Especially after seeing the previous few years guys hit their collegiate prime.

Side note: I got word this morning that all-world receiver Lutz has also entered the portal. Have to believe he'll end up as a higher level contributor next season, and expect him to gather some big time opportunities. Massive blow to the Jumbos for next season

Quote from: NESCACFball24/7 on December 06, 2022, 05:32:02 PM
Quote from: Scoops on December 06, 2022, 04:48:13 PM
There's a lot of really interesting trends in recruiting in the NESCAC this year. Most interesting are certainly Bates, Williams, and Tufts. Bates seems to be going for a complete revamp of the program. Not that it's surprising, given their numbers. But they have some very impressive talent in the class so far. Most interesting is the fact that they have really pushed a national mentality in their efforts. Similarly to Tufts the last few years, Coyne is pursuing out of region players at a high level. And some guys who can really play. No idea if they'll land any of them, but Coach Coyne's effort is very impressive in that sense.

Williams is interesting for all the reasons that have been mentioned. A lot of QBs and interesting offensive players. I haven't seen a lot of defensive players yet, but as was stated earlier, they had a lot of young guys who played this season. Letting them develop is the smart move by Raymond. They don't need to go and bring in a lot of bodies on that side of the ball.

Tufts is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's positive. They clearly tried to get in the game on local kids early after waiting it out and aiming bigger the last few years. But I'm pretty unimpressed with the actual talent they've brought in. Especially losing to Williams on Gherring. It's unfortunate because Tufts seemed to be on a roll in that aspect. Also unfortunate that they've seemingly abandoned their national approach. We've seen what a couple of down years in recruiting can do to a program with the current woes of Amherst. Hope they're able to figure it out.

Rest of the league seems to be status quo so far. Will be interesting to see how the classes develop.

I can't speak on Williams or bates but the tufts recruiting strategy has worked pretty well I think actually. Two of their four starting receivers in that passing attack are from Texas and California, and their starting running back Johnson who was 1st team all-conference was from Virginia. Trevon Woodson who they lost to injury last yr was from Louisiana and captain this year Tyler Roach who they also lost to injury was from Georgia. They also had a jr all-league corner who is from Texas. They really have only started to use this strategy with the last two classes and slightly with the 2020 class so this coming year is gonna be more of a real look at how that strategy has worked out for them as those kids will now be juniors and sophomores. I think tufts also has taken longer to showcase some of these out-of-region guys because they had so many 5th yrs come back for them this past season, especially up front.

I have also heard from a couple of people close to the program that this year's incoming class has the potential to be the best they have had since Civetti has been there. I think people get caught up in what kids post on Twitter and a lot of kids just don't post about committing to a NESCAC until they actually get it in which can give a false sense of strength or weakness of a class. Come December 15 when ED1 comes back I think we will all have a better idea of what each school's classes will look like and be able to make a more accurate assessment.

As far as this Gering kid Williams got, he's a pretty good player hence all the offers and a good get for Williams who definitely needs weapons but he was on an 0-10 team in a b league in California. I think this only goes to show that there is more than a wealth of talent in California, Georgia, texas, Florida etc.. that is available if coaches recruit it, especially considering the high academics that the nescac can offer.

Charlie

Quote from: Scoops on December 08, 2022, 09:05:24 AM
I think you're absolutely right about the previous few Tufts recruiting classes. Which is why this year's class so far is so disappointing. They have a ton of talented guys from out of region, and it seems like this year they went back to the local strategy that kept them at the bottom of the league for so long. In seeing some of the Twitter commitments and watching the tape, there's really only one or two kids who look at all impressive this far. Granted there's plenty of time for that to change, but I have a hard time believing this is their best work. Especially after seeing the previous few years guys hit their collegiate prime.

Side note: I got word this morning that all-world receiver Lutz has also entered the portal. Have to believe he'll end up as a higher level contributor next season, and expect him to gather some big time opportunities. Massive blow to the Jumbos for next season

There's a lot of really interesting trends in recruiting in the NESCAC this year. Most interesting are certainly Bates, Williams, and Tufts. Bates seems to be going for a complete revamp of the program. Not that it's surprising, given their numbers. But they have some very impressive talent in the class so far. Most interesting is the fact that they have really pushed a national mentality in their efforts. Similarly to Tufts the last few years, Coyne is pursuing out of region players at a high level. And some guys who can really play. No idea if they'll land any of them, but Coach Coyne's effort is very impressive in that sense.

Williams is interesting for all the reasons that have been mentioned. A lot of QBs and interesting offensive players. I haven't seen a lot of defensive players yet, but as was stated earlier, they had a lot of young guys who played this season. Letting them develop is the smart move by Raymond. They don't need to go and bring in a lot of bodies on that side of the ball.

Tufts is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's positive. They clearly tried to get in the game on local kids early after waiting it out and aiming bigger the last few years. But I'm pretty unimpressed with the actual talent they've brought in. Especially losing to Williams on Gherring. It's unfortunate because Tufts seemed to be on a roll in that aspect. Also unfortunate that they've seemingly abandoned their national approach. We've seen what a couple of down years in recruiting can do to a program with the current woes of Amherst. Hope they're able to figure it out.

Rest of the league seems to be status quo so far. Will be interesting to see how the classes develop.

I can't speak on Williams or bates but the tufts recruiting strategy has worked pretty well I think actually. Two of their four starting receivers in that passing attack are from Texas and California, and their starting running back Johnson who was 1st team all-conference was from Virginia. Trevon Woodson who they lost to injury last yr was from Louisiana and captain this year Tyler Roach who they also lost to injury was from Georgia. They also had a jr all-league corner who is from Texas. They really have only started to use this strategy with the last two classes and slightly with the 2020 class so this coming year is gonna be more of a real look at how that strategy has worked out for them as those kids will now be juniors and sophomores. I think tufts also has taken longer to showcase some of these out-of-region guys because they had so many 5th yrs come back for them this past season, especially up front.

I have also heard from a couple of people close to the program that this year's incoming class has the potential to be the best they have had since Civetti has been there. I think people get caught up in what kids post on Twitter and a lot of kids just don't post about committing to a NESCAC until they actually get it in which can give a false sense of strength or weakness of a class. Come December 15 when ED1 comes back I think we will all have a better idea of what each school's classes will look like and be able to make a more accurate assessment.

As far as this Gering kid Williams got, he's a pretty good player hence all the offers and a good get for Williams who definitely needs weapons but he was on an 0-10 team in a b league in California. I think this only goes to show that there is more than a wealth of talent in California, Georgia, texas, Florida etc.. that is available if coaches recruit it, especially considering the high academics that the nescac can offer.

I am also hearing the opposite is occurring in the portal at least two that I know of. I have heard two players are transferring from D2/D1 programs to the NESCAC. This actually makes perfect sense and surprised more kids are not seeing this. If a kid can play football and does not like to big campus feel ,  smart and wants  a solid degree. Then going to NESCAC would make sense since he obviously can play at a high level. Not to mention the rigors of NESCAC ball are not as time consuming as the D1/D2 levels and a kid can be a college student again. Again many other factors come into play highest being financial ability to meet tuition. Has anyone else heard about such movements.

SpringSt7

I guess I am missing the part in all of this where the NESCAC doesn't all of a sudden have some of the lowest transfer rates in the country.

From https://www.collegetransitions.com/dataverse/transfer-admission-rates

Amherst: 6%
Bates: 10%
Bowdoin: 4%
Colby: 13%
Hamilton: 21%
Middlebury: 17%
Trinity: 32%
Tufts: 28%
Wesleyan: 25%
Williams: 3%

So barring an administrative shift in how athletes are viewed---which I won't rule out, but seems very very unlikely at most if not all schools---with Tufts and Wesleyan's grad programs being an exception, how are all of these kids going to get in?

I would assume too that any transfers would be viewed under the band system which would then become a decision for coaching staffs--is a 1/2/3 year player worth a spot over what would presumably be an incoming freshman that they would have and can develop for 4 years. It seems like the incoming classes are not getting any bigger at a lot of spots so I would be curious to know if that math makes a lot of sense for most teams.

LochNescac

Where did you guys see the recruiting classes?   

Outside of the partial list of new Ephs posted here, I don't see the debated Tufts class or any other schools posted as of yet??

Charlie

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 08, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
I guess I am missing the part in all of this where the NESCAC doesn't all of a sudden have some of the lowest transfer rates in the country.

From https://www.collegetransitions.com/dataverse/transfer-admission-rates

Amherst: 6%
Bates: 10%
Bowdoin: 4%
Colby: 13%
Hamilton: 21%
Middlebury: 17%
Trinity: 32%
Tufts: 28%
Wesleyan: 25%
Williams: 3%

So barring an administrative shift in how athletes are viewed---which I won't rule out, but seems very very unlikely at most if not all schools---with Tufts and Wesleyan's grad programs being an exception, how are all of these kids going to get in?

I would assume too that any transfers would be viewed under the band system which would then become a decision for coaching staffs--is a 1/2/3 year player worth a spot over what would presumably be an incoming freshman that they would have and can develop for 4 years. It seems like the incoming classes are not getting any bigger at a lot of spots so I would be curious to know if that math makes a lot of sense for most teams.

Wow  !!

I hope you understand that I was not indicating that NESCAC schools would take 10 kids from the portal. But if a program can take one or two at skilled positions like WR , QB or even OL under there banding it would impact your recruiting class immediately as you get a bonafide starter from the D1/D2 level. Naturally they would have to qualify academically and financially but this could be an instant avenue to upgrade your football program not to mention disrupt the power in the NESCAC.

nescac1

Charlie, who are the players transferring to NESCAC, supposedly?

So, looking at prominent guys who entered in the Fall of 2019 and hence have a year of eligibility:

Logan Tomlinson, Nick Helbig, and Phil Lutz are all looking to move up.  Tomlinson already has two D1 offers and the others I assume we will be hot commodities as well.

Guys reputed to be coming back for a fifth year:

Spencer Fetter, Trinity
John Freeman, Williams

Guys whose intentions are (I think) unreported, though maybe some folks here know:

Christian Anzeveno, Trinity
Hunter Tully, Trinity
Justin O'Neil-Riley, Trinity
Robert Mihaly, Trinity
Cade Klarides-Ditria, Trinity
Joel Nicholas, Williams
Tyler Johnson, Tufts
Travis Cepalia, Tufts
Blair Horning, Tufts
Tony Hooks, Bates
Finn Muldoon, Middlebury
Keith Henderson, Wesleyan
Tim Swope, Amherst
Carson Oshenshirt (listed as a junior on the roster, but also mentioned in the list of guys who Amherst celebrated on senior day)

Of those guys, Hooks seems like the best bet if he seeks to transfer up. 

Tufts and Trinity have the biggest question marks on this list, but both have a very good track record of key players sticking around for a 5th year.  Tufts losing Lutz is tough, but if they bring their two star linemen and Tyler Johnson, along with Jaden Richardson, back around Berlutti, they will still go into the year with the most loaded offense in the league.  Tufts having so many grad programs is a big edge in convincing guys like that to stick around.  Trinity is always going to reload, but even for Trinity, losing Reid, Walsh, Glantz, Casagrande, Woodring, and Kennedy is significant, and if they lose the majority of the five guys listed above in addition, that is a ton of star power to replace in one year.  But my guess is that several if not most will be around for another year. 

Swope was one of the few real stars on Amherst over the last few years, so if he is gone, that is a blow.  I assume Oshenshirt is back, since he is listed a junior, but the senior day mention was curious and Amherst sure needs him as he was the only explosive skill guy they had last year. 

Charlie

Quote from: nescac1 on December 08, 2022, 10:02:44 AM

So, looking at prominent guys who entered in the Fall of 2019 and hence have a year of eligibility:

Logan Tomlinson, Nick Helbig, and Phil Lutz are all looking to move up.  Tomlinson already has two D1 offers and the others I assume we will be hot commodities as well.

Spencer Fetter, Trinity
John Freeman, Williams

Guys whose intentions are (I think) unreported, though maybe some folks here know:

Hunter Tully, Trinity
Robert Mihali, Trinity
Joel Nichols, Williams
Tyler Johnson, Tufts
Travis Cepalia, Tufts
Blair Horning, Tufts
Tony Hooks, Bates
Finn Muldoon, Middlebury
Tim Swope, Amherst
Carson Oshenshirt (listed as a junior on the roster, but also mentioned in the list of guys who Amherst celebrated on senior day)

Tufts and Trinity have the biggest question marks on this list, but both have a very good track record of key players sticking around for a 5th year.  Tufts losing Lutz is tough, but if they bring their two star linemen and Tyler Johnson, along with Jaden Richardson, back around Berlutti, they will still go into the year with the most loaded offense in the league.  Tufts having so many grad programs is a big edge in convincing guys like that to stick around.  Trinity is always going to reload, but even for Trinity, losing Reid, Walsh, Glantz, Casagrande, Woodring, and Kennedy is significant, and if they lose the majority of the five guys listed above in addition, that is a ton of star power to replace in one year.  But my guess is that several if not most will be around for another year. 

Swope was one of the few real stars on Amherst over the last few years, so if he is gone, that is a blow.  I assume Oshenshirt is back, since he is listed a junior, but the senior day mention was curious and Amherst sure needs him as he was the only explosive skill guy they had last year.

I heard the following DL is transferring from Fordham to Wesleyan ,   OL from Lafayette is transferring to Trinity , WR from Umass Amherst transferring to Amherst College. When I get confirmation and names will post.

I also heard Henderson is not coming back which means Wesleyan is going to have to find two replacements for starting DL.

nescac1

Interesting, Charlie, those all sound like potentially impactful guys.  Dallas Elliott seems like the most Amherst-y receiver on UMass, so my guess is if true, he would be the guy ... Amherst certainly needs all the skill guys it can find. 

Wesleyan sure loses a lot of REALLY top-tier guys, Estevez, Simco, Tomlinson, Danny Banks, Henderson, Helbig, among others ... while there is talent remaining, as Williams discovered in 2022, losing that many elite players in one class is a big challenge. 

JEFFFAN

Wow - the possibility of a UMass player transferring to Amherst is a shocker!    Has to be a talent upgrade over what they have.   Has to be a first, however, in the history of these two one-mile-away-from-each other schools - an athletic transfer.

Charlie

Quote from: JEFFFAN on December 08, 2022, 10:52:19 AM

Wow - the possibility of a UMass player transferring to Amherst is a shocker!    Has to be a talent upgrade over what they have.   Has to be a first, however, in the history of these two one-mile-away-from-each other schools - an athletic transfer.

The intriguing one as well is the Trinity player who started at Lafayette as a freshman 6"6 275 and wants to leave there and play with brother at Trinity.

I have also heard from one College football recruiter that he said last years Trinity recruiting class was the best recruiting class in over a decade and that only a couple could even break starting line up last year thats how loaded with talent the team is. He also informed me that Tufts had a great recruiting class and lastly indicated that should not be surprised if some of the young Coaches from Tufts move on.

lumbercat

Scoop-

I wouldn't jump the gun on evaluating the Tufts recruiting class. We are not even through ED1 yet. At this point last year this board was lit up with comments indicating Tufts was behind the curve, struggling with recruiting etc etc. Way too soon to evaluate.

Tufts is often later in finalizing their recruiting class. Believe this is driven by admissions protocols which might differ a bit from other NESCAC schools. Over the years some schools have differed in their ED1 approach with less official commitments included/announced in the ED1 timeline yet they make the same assurances to recruits as other schools but announce the official commitment at ED2 or later.

From the knowledge I do have of this recruiting cycle at Tufts I don't think you will be disappointed. Civetti's greatest coaching attribute is recruiting. He has masterfully put together a great recruiting approach as "Boston's NESCAC Team"  combined with facility enhancements which make for an easy sell. He's not going to miss on many recuits he wants.

Charlie

Quote from: lumbercat on December 08, 2022, 12:15:59 PM

Scoop-

I wouldn't jump the gun on evaluating the Tufts recruiting class. We are not even through ED1 yet. At this point last year this board was lit up with comments indicating Tufts was behind the curve, struggling with recruiting etc etc. Way too soon to evaluate.

Tufts is often later in finalizing their recruiting class. Believe this is driven by admissions protocols which might differ a bit from other NESCAC schools. Over the years some schools have differed in their ED1 approach with less official commitments included/announced in the ED1 timeline yet they make the same assurances to recruits as other schools but announce the official commitment at ED2 or later.

From the knowledge I do have of this recruiting cycle at Tufts I don't think you will be disappointed. Civetti's greatest coaching attribute is recruiting. He has masterfully put together a great recruiting approach as "Boston's NESCAC Team"  combined with facility enhancements that make for an easy sell. He's not going to miss on many recuits he wants.

I also think that the reason Tufts appears to be behind is they make limited offers during the normal NESCAC recruiting period and wait for the Ivy Leagues to shake out. Tufts is regarded as a high academic institution with a great deal to offer. While it appears late they try to get the Ivy players who could not make it in or on bubble usually this is around late November. The problem with that approach and has been for years is that then they have to wait for second shake out as the kids who then look to the three little ivies or Trinity. Again dilemma with that approach is that you do find yourself late in the game and getting mid tier players. The last couple years Tufts seemed to get away from that but would not be surprised if for whatever reason they went back too old model.

Bucket

Quote from: nescac1 on December 08, 2022, 10:02:44 AM

Spencer Fetter, Trinity
John Freeman, Williams

Hunter Tully, Trinity
Robert Mihaly, Trinity
Joel Nicholas, Williams
Tyler Johnson, Tufts
Travis Cepalia, Tufts
Blair Horning, Tufts
Tony Hooks, Bates
Finn Muldoon, Middlebury
Tim Swope, Amherst

Finn Muldoon has been named one of 3 captains for Midd next year.

lumbercat

Amid all this recruiting banter keep in mind that all the recruiting info exchanged here emanates from many different areas ranging from inside knowledge, word of mouth and social media all the way down to flat out unsubstantiated rumor.
Nothing is really official until 5/1 when schools can announce their incoming recruiting classes.