World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

After England's FA Cup final it was debated whether a 4th substitute should be allowed in OT games.  That game also had a number of players cramping up in the final 15 minutes, infact West Ham could have won except their striker was so badly cramping he missed a virtual point blank shot that would have won the game.  The final 15 minutes was pretty poor football and unfortunately was also decided on penalty kicks.

Perhaps they should consider experimenting with an extra sub for each 15 minute period or something.  They could even get rid of the offsides rule for OT games, that would surely get a quick resolution.

Championship games deserve a true champion.  Can  you imagine the super bowl being decided by alternating FG kicks or the NBA finals being settled with FT's.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: foul_language on July 10, 2006, 04:52:15 PM
Guesses for what was said:

"Use your head, Zizou"

+k for you!  (Don't take things so literally, Zizou!)

Several French players have been reported saying that the Italians (especially Materazzi) had been baiting Zidane the whole game, going well beyond the usual bounds of 'trash talk'.  (Which is certainly NOT to excuse the inexcusable, especially from the captain.)

I still say it is all Buffon's fault.  If he hadn't made that save at the end of the first OT... ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on July 10, 2006, 07:06:43 PM

Championship games deserve a true champion.  Can  you imagine ... the NBA finals being settled with FT's.

Between Shaq and Big Ben!  (OT might be quicker than waiting for one of them to make one!) ;D

ScotsFan

What a surprise.  The French are whining because someone called them names.  ::) :-*

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 10, 2006, 12:51:07 PM
Hiker Jim,

Are you going to create a pro soccer convo board on here for some debate now that the WC is over?  I'm not really in a position to get involved in d3 soccer at the moment, but I am a follower of the game in europe and would love a forum for discussion here (a place I basically visit everyday anyway).

I'd suggest just using this board.  Obviously this board isn't going to be used for another 2 years (we can talk about qualifying!), so instead of opening up another one, this would suffice, IMO.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School on July 10, 2006, 09:21:54 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 10, 2006, 12:51:07 PM
Hiker Jim,

Are you going to create a pro soccer convo board on here for some debate now that the WC is over?  I'm not really in a position to get involved in d3 soccer at the moment, but I am a follower of the game in europe and would love a forum for discussion here (a place I basically visit everyday anyway).

I'd suggest just using this board.  Obviously this board isn't going to be used for another 2 years (we can talk about qualifying!), so instead of opening up another one, this would suffice, IMO.

I concur with using this board - that way we can occasionally check old posts if so inclined.  Plus, if you just drop the 2006 from the name, there WILL be news from time to time about coaching changes, retirements, emerging 2010 players, etc.  (I'd guess that the question of the USA coach (Arena, Klinnsman, Hiddinck, other?) and whether Adu will play for USA or Ghana would be worth several pages, aside from whatever else may arise.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: CRZK on July 10, 2006, 02:51:33 PM
Correct me if I misunderstand, is Stinger suggesting defender is not a skill position?  If so I would tend to disagree. 

I have to choose my words more carefully.  I played defender as well and it's definitely a skill position, despite the fact I said it wasn't.  I should've used "glamour" position, when it came to my opinion on Zidane getting it over Canavarro.  In football, for example, QB, RB, WR and CB are all "skill" positions, while lineman, LB etc aren't considered that.  IMO, I felt that Zidane got it because it's more of a glamour position, rather than defender.  Even goalie is a glamour position.  Ironically, I think that defender is the hardest position to play and, for a lot of teams, the hardest to fill. 

On Fox Sports World Report, they released these polls conducted by FIFA:

Most Entertaining:

Portugal!  47%
Italy 41%
Germany 4%

Fair Play:

Brazil and Spain tied

Lev Yashin (best goalie)

Buffon...of course.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Nice insult by Matterazzi, just classic.  Probably not worth a headbutt, but then again it was probably the 900th insult of that nature Zidane got from him that night.  If it had been a regular match and not the WC final, I think the headbutt would have been totally justified.

I'm in favor of doing the two 15 minute OT's and then Golden goal with one extra sub every 30 minutes.  I know none of the players like Golden Goal, but they have to prefer it to penalties.  The other option that no Americans will like because, well, its rather unAmerican, is to just use some other measure to determine the winner like total goals scored in the tournament or goal differential, etc if they end in a draw.  We Americans think that sounds unfair (me included) but those type of things aren't too uncommon in Europe.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Josh Bowerman

Does anyone else think Matterazzi's claims are any more genuine than Sammy Sosa's forgetting how to speak English in front of Congress?   :)

I love it!  It doesn't make Zidane less wrong, but I love it nonetheless!
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, I'm not sure why he'd need to say he doesn't know what a terrorist is.  Maybe its a translation problem; lets hope so.

Josh Bowerman

Not just that, HoopsFan--he said he doesn't know what an Islamic Terrorist is.   ;)
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Grutte Dirk

Does anyone else find it odd the way Matterazzi went down like a stone from the headbutt?  Please answer this ... what major American sport has guys backing down when confronted (other that R. Artest running from B. Wallace) ... or even worse, pretending the blow hurt them more than it really did?

Matterazzi's a wuss.  I hope no one bumps him at Circus Maximus, he may cry.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bilk on July 11, 2006, 11:42:35 AM
Does anyone else find it odd the way Matterazzi went down like a stone from the headbutt?  Please answer this ... what major American sport has guys backing down when confronted (other that R. Artest running from B. Wallace) ... or even worse, pretending the blow hurt them more than it really did?

Matterazzi's a wuss.  I hope no one bumps him at Circus Maximus, he may cry.

Pedro famously ran to first base to hide behind Mo Vaughn when someone charged the mound.

You also see, with the emrgence of Euro stars in the NBA, a lot more flops than you used to.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that American sports don't have much break in the action.  In soccer, you go down hard, you might get the call, you might not, but the dive doesn't cost your team anything.  If a WR hams up a penalty and doesn't get the call, you might see an interception.

Hoosier Titan

With regard to using technology to help the officials, ESPN Soccernet's England correspondent Billy Bragg (http://proxy.espn.go.com/et/corr/corrview?id=448&leagueCup=fifa.world&cc=%) offers this:

"I certainly see no reason why, if the linesman is unsure of an offside, the game cannot be allowed to continue while TV analyses the play. If a goal is scored but the move shown to be offside then a free kick can simply be awarded. In essence, this is little different from what happens now except the play is stopped while the forward remonstrates with the officials."

This makes sense to me, and it wouldn't stop the flow of the game, which is what a lot of people have been afraid of.
You'll never walk alone.