Hoopsville: Division III Basketball's Talk Show

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, January 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

A) I misspoke... I was thinking of two teams at the same time... can't remember who the other team was.
B) If you think RAC members are listening to my info over the info and data given to them by the NCAA (as they vote this morning)... you are nuts.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 10, 2014, 10:24:57 AM
A) I misspoke... I was thinking of two teams at the same time... can't remember who the other team was.
B) If you think RAC members are listening to my info over the info and data given to them by the NCAA (as they vote this morning)... you are nuts.
Not over, but in addition to-you may be understating your influence with them. Besides, the NCAA has been known in the past to have erroneous info(in-region games/records, etc). ;)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ronk on February 10, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 10, 2014, 10:24:57 AM
Not over, but in addition to-you may be understating your influence with them. Besides, the NCAA has been known in the past to have erroneous info(in-region games/records, etc). ;)

If so, they won't get it from Dave. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If I have that kind of pull with the committee... I have to reevaluate how I do my show so that the Catholics of the world don't make the tournament and my sub-.500 alma mater does LOL.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Another episode of Hoopsville is slated for tonight and here is the guest list we have lined up:

- Pomona-Pitzer MBB coach Charles Katsiaficas
- #15 Wittenberg MBB coach Bill Brown
- #2 Hope WBB coach Brian Morehouse
- Stevenson WBB coach Jackie Boswell
- Maryville WBB coach Darrin Travillian
- Trinity (TX) WBB coach Cameron Hill
- Nazareth MBB coach Kevin Broderick
- St. Mary's (Md.) MBB coach Chris Harney

Show starts at 7 PM EST and will run at least 2:30 tonight.

You can tune in here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2013-14/feb13

You can also follow us on social media
- Twitter (@d3hoopsville and #Hoopsville)
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/Hoopsville)
- Email (hoopsville@d3hoops.com)

Thanks and enjoy the show!

ronk

I frequently see Coaches Boswell and Harney on the recruiting trail; maybe they could disclose their uncommitted prospects to save me some time ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It was a crazy week in basketball not only on the court, but off it as well. Pat Coleman joins me to talk about two interesting coaching moves and what the last two weeks of the regular season has in store for everyone.

We also have the following guests lined-up:

- #25 Texas-Tyler WBB coach Kevin Baker
- Castleton State WBB coach Tim Barrett
- #7 Amherst MBB coach Dave Hixon
- Amherst super-fan Mike Wohl (we hope!)
- Baptist Bible MBB coach Mike Show
- Rose-Hulman MBB Jim Shaw
- #21 Randolph-Macon MBB coach Nathan Davis

Show starts at 7 PM EST and will run at least 2:30 tonight.

You can tune in here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2013-14/feb16

You can also follow us on social media

ronk

Dave,
  Here's an idea for tonight's show,
     In the Landmark men's side, if MMA loses Saturday, there's a possibility of as much as a 4-way(including Goucher) tie for 4th seed; only the Juniata-Drew loser would necessarily be eliminated. It may come down to a(many) coin flip(s); the Landmark commissioner(Goucher) would have to conduct the coin flip or recuse himself(since Goucher could be involved-then we would need tiebreakers among the eliminated to decide who conducts the coin flip). What does the commish say about this; Hoopsville's entire show Sunday could be a videostream of the coin flips ;D.
     I guess I have too much time on my hands, but I love the possibilities.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well the assertion that the conference commissioner is a Goucher person is hopefully tongue-and-cheek. He may be located on the Goucher campus (actually, he is across the street from the campus - not on the actual campus) and many if not all conference offices in Division III are located on a college campus.

As for the ... not bad... just not tonight's! :) By the way, we posted the tie-breaking procedure in the Landmark page... I doubt it will get down to a coin flip since they have thought out their tie-breakers and have more steps than any other conference I have ever read.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 20, 2014, 12:01:28 PM
Well the assertion that the conference commissioner is a Goucher person is hopefully tongue-and-cheek. He may be located on the Goucher campus (actually, he is across the street from the campus - not on the actual campus) and many if not all conference offices in Division III are located on a college campus.

As for the ... not bad... just not tonight's! :) By the way, we posted the tie-breaking procedure in the Landmark page... I doubt it will get down to a coin flip since they have thought out their tie-breakers and have more steps than any other conference I have ever read.

Ok, I had heard earlier in the year that he had some connection with Goucher; if it's only a physical neighborhood connection, no problem.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Um... he used to work in the NESCAC front office... there is no connection to Goucher. Maybe people should do their research first.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The final week of the regular season is upon us and already teams are on the bubble hoping to qualify for the NCAA national championships and that can also mean some upsets. So tonight, we focus on the bubble and who has to get it done this week in conference tournaments. Here are the guests we have lined up for tonight:

- Rhodes WBB coach Matt Dean
- Emory MBB coach Jason Zimmerman
- Lyndon State MBB coach Joe Krupinski
- Wheaton (MA) WBB coach Melissa Hodgdon
- UW-Stevens Point WBB coach Shirley Egner
- Ohio Wesleyan WBB coach Stacey Lobdell off their upset of #1 DePauw
- Baruch WBB coach Machli Joseph
- MSOE MBB coach Brian Miller

We will also feature a special #whyd3 story from York (Pa.) women's basketball you have to see.

Show starts at 7 PM EST and will run until at least 9:30 tonight.

You can tune in here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2013-14/feb23

Don't forget you can ask us or our guests questions via social media:

ronk

Dave,
  When u talk with the NCAA tourney heads soon, please ask them to affirm that there's a procedure in place to notify the opposite gender that a potential host for both genders is(not) being selected to host for the priority side(1st weekend-men notifying women; 2nd weekend vice/versa), so that we don't have that problem repeated from a past tourney where the non-priority side doesn't know that a hosting capability is still possible.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well... there are procedures in place and the one time it took place where a men's team was screwed out of hosting was actually a miscommunication... not a lack of actually knowing. There had been discussions leading up to and on the day of selections and bracketing about that conflict and the men were informed the women would have Randolph-Macon host. The women then changed their minds, but in a moment of whatever did not go back to tell the men they had changed their mind. The men found out when we told them of the screw-up.

So, it isn't that these groups don't know about the priorities and don't know of the potential, it was one time in recent memory and it was based on a change of opinion on a host that wasn't then relayed like it was supposed to be (especially since that information had been relayed back and forth leading up to that point).

ronk

thanks, I didn't remember it happening that way, so it looks like it won't be a concern this year.