BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Pretty certain both IWU and Augie are locks for bids... just playing for seeding today (or possibly the loser being shipped out to another region).
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Titan Q

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 12, 2013, 08:07:10 AM
Pretty certain both IWU and Augie are locks for bids... just playing for seeding today (or possibly the loser being shipped out to another region).

Could also be playing for the opportunity to host a regional - that's pretty significant.  Last regional ranking...

CENTRAL                  
1   Webster   23-6   29-8         
2   Illinois Wesleyan   25-6   29-9         
3   Wartburg   30-8   31-9         
4   Augustana (Ill.)   22-7   29-8         
5   Coe   25-11   26-12         
6   Washington (Mo.)   22-11   23-15

TitanPride

Quote from: Titan Q on May 12, 2013, 08:24:56 AM

Could also be playing for the opportunity to host a regional - that's pretty significant.  Last regional ranking...

CENTRAL                  
5   Coe   25-11   26-12         

I believe the regional hosting assignments have already been made. Augustana is a host site, IWU is not this year.

Titan Q

Quote from: TitanPride on May 12, 2013, 08:51:15 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on May 12, 2013, 08:24:56 AM

CENTRAL                  
5   Coe   25-11   26-12         

I believe the regional hosting assignments have already been made. Augustana is a host site, IWU is not this year.

Thanks.  I'm not in the loop on how the baseball hosting stuff works.

Titan Q

Augustana appears to be in much better pitching shape than IWU today (no surprise considering Augie has played one less game).  Augie has Jared McIntosh fresh - 6-3, 3.49 ERA (10 appearances, all starts).  IWU really doesn't have any regular starters fresh - Johnson, Mehn, Hart, Munyon, and Romano have all pitched significant innings in the last two days.  Sounds like Dennis Martel will have to piece things together today inning by inning.  Anthony Kopp (2.41 ERA, 12 appearances, 1 start) has not pitched yet in the CCIW tournament.  He started last on April 4 vs Beloit.

Augie's surprise start, and 8-inning gem, by freshman Chris Sauer on Friday vs IWU was really huge.

Titan Q

Final...

Augustana 12
IWU 1

Augie pitcher Jared McIntosh was outstanding, holding IWU hitless until the 6th inning I think.  On the other side, the Titans were in bad pitching shape and it showed.

IWU should be a safe bet for an at-large bid.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU will play in the Mideast Regional, hosted by RHIT in Terre Haute.  They begin at 11 am (CDT) Wednesday as the home team facing Washington & Jefferson.  If the format is standard for an 8-team bracket, their second game (Thursday) will be against Mount Union or Manchester, with winner against winner or loser against loser.

Teams in the other half of the bracket are Marietta, Wooster, Penn St.-Behrend, and Thomas More.

Here's to Augie and IWU BOTH going to Appleton! ;D

Titan Q

The all-conference team...

http://www.cciw.org/sports/2013/5/13/BB_0513130136.aspx?id=815&

Last year Kevin Callahan became just the second player to win back-to-back CCIW Player of the Year honors...he is now the only 3-time winner of the award.

Mr. Ypsi

And John Munyon wins Pitcher of the Year.  Also Dennis Martel is COY (pretty easy selection when the team wins by three games; unless pre-season #8 finishes second, that's gonna do it!)

Not falling into the losers' bracket is always very important, but this year perhaps even more than most.  Although three Titan pitchers made first team all-CCIW, it just doesn't feel like a very deep staff (as the final against Augie showed).  I have faith that every pitcher on the team is capable on a given day of looking like an ace, but for most that day seems unlikely to occur very regularly. :P  I strongly suggest the Titans go with the 2010 strategy: win the first three games in Terre Haute (and, baseball gods willing, in Appleton), so you can always throw a higher-rated pitcher and/or a better-rested pitcher than the other guys! ;)

forheavendial4999

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
And John Munyon wins Pitcher of the Year. 

Isn't Munyon like their #4 guy? I was thinking Johnson and Mehn were their top two.

Also, for anyone, was Sauer of Augustana injured? Saw he made his first start in the 2nd game of the conference tournament...seemed odd unless there was an injury.

voiceofseason

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 14, 2013, 01:03:14 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
And John Munyon wins Pitcher of the Year. 

Isn't Munyon like their #4 guy? I was thinking Johnson and Mehn were their top two.

Also, for anyone, was Sauer of Augustana injured? Saw he made his first start in the 2nd game of the conference tournament...seemed odd unless there was an injury.

Munyon was mostly a closer/reliever - very effective this year.  I assumed Jeff Johnson would get the award, but didn't turn out that way.
'If I walked on water, my accusers would say it's because I can't swim."
   -- Berti Vogts

Mr. Ypsi

The Titan season is in grave danger, as they fall to W&J 5-3 in the opening game of the Mideast Regional.  Obviously it is possible to recover from an opening defeat, but it is a VERY tough row to hoe. :(

Mr. Ypsi

The Titans next play tomorrow morning at 10 (EDT); the opponent looks likely to be Mount Union, as they trail Manchester 6-0 after 6.  (Fortunately, it is baseball, not football! :P)

Mr. Ypsi

Mount Union fell behind 12-0 before getting 3 in the top of the ninth - too little, too late.  They will indeed be the Titans opponent at 10 EDT tomorrow - win or go home for both teams.

mr_b

Concordia Chicago defeats Augustana, 2-0.  Seth Davis gave up a walk to the leadoff batter and the next hitter, Shawn Miller, hit a home run for the only scoring of the game.  Davis gave up three hits and the Cougars' Dan Kluss scattered four.

Tomorrow's matchups for CCIW teams: Augustana takes on Webster (Central Regional) and Illinois Wesleyan faces Mount Union (Mideast Regional).

Another familiar team, Benedictine, lost in 10 innings to UW Stevens Point (Midwest Regional).  They face St. Thomas, a 1-0 loser to St. Scholastica.