FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bashgiant

Hello is there anybody out there? Does anybody have word on new recruits for their school, plans for new turf, or any kind of news? Is it to early to get a top 25 fan poll going? I think I have the serious football withdraws and winter blues. It has been one cold, cold, long winter and I can't wait to hear some pads popping!! Here's hoping everybody is healthy and made it thru the brutal winter we had this year unscathed!

seinfeld

Wooster has "landed" it's top recruit, or at least the one that is going to pay the most immediate dividends, obviously:

http://www.the-daily-record.com/local%20sports/2014/03/29/barnes-coming-back-to-finish-business

wally_wabash

Quote from: seinfeld on March 29, 2014, 06:18:42 PM
Wooster has "landed" it's top recruit, or at least the one that is going to pay the most immediate dividends, obviously:

http://www.the-daily-record.com/local%20sports/2014/03/29/barnes-coming-back-to-finish-business

Huge. Seriously huge. That probably bumps Wooster ahead of Witt with respect to how I'm thinking about the NCAC in 2014. Until we start playing games and get to see what's what. Put another way, I've currently got fewer questions about Wooster than I do Witt.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sigma one

Yep, Barnes's return is huge for Wooster and for the NCAC.  I'm not prepared this early to give up on Wittenberg, or on Wabash for that matter, remaining at the top of the conference.  Witt seems to find a way, even as this year, when their losses are significant.  Wooster has a lot returning, and even more with Barnes.  The Scots should believe they can make a run if they can improve on defense. The conference becomes more interesting with this latest development.

wally_wabash

Quote from: sigma one on March 31, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
Yep, Barnes's return is huge for Wooster and for the NCAC.  I'm not prepared this early to give up on Wittenberg, or on Wabash for that matter, remaining at the top of the conference.  Witt seems to find a way, even as this year, when their losses are significant.  Wooster has a lot returning, and even more with Barnes.  The Scots should believe they can make a run if they can improve on defense. The conference becomes more interesting with this latest development.

Agree with Wabash...sort of the conversation behind the conversation during 2013 was that Wabash looks like they'll be even better in 2014.  So I think Wabash is the clear team to beat- which is not to say that they can't be beaten.  To whit, (or to Witt) Wabash does have to travel to Wittenberg this November, probably with playoffs on the line via an outright league title or a share available there.  I certainly don't expect Witt to fall off the map, but they are replacing some all-timers there (high praise given the history at that school).  I think they'll be fine by the end of the season, but up front...games with Butler and DePauw and at Denison in the first half.  If they're still trying to figure it out in the first month, they could stumble.  Wooster has to come to Wabash which will be tough and the lantern game is at Denison...the week after hosting Witt.  Prime candidate for an exhale game there and I don't think you should exhale against Denison. 

So I think the Ws are the top three in some order, but I don't think you can snooze on Denison.  They've got the best schedule in the league this year (hosting all of the Ws...if they can get some significant home field support and turn Piper-Deeds into a tough place to play, you never know...they've got enough skill that you can't play a bad half against them and still win).  DePauw improved tremendously over the 2013 season.  They drew the short end of the schedule stick traveling to Witt, Woo, Wabash, and Allegheny which probably isn't a tough game, but it's a beast of a trip and they do it back to back with the Woo trip so that stinks doubly.  But again, Lynch can coach and he's got that team on the rise.  A bad half against DePauw and you'll get beat.  OWU is interesting...they get the Ws all at home also, but I have no idea what to make of that squad this year and they'll have a month to sort out the new QB and whatever modifications they make to the offense as a result of a new QB before their games get hairy. 

Cutting myself off there.  We've got six months to suss this all out.  To the point, I think we've got some pretty good depth of quality in the league this year.  With just a couple of exceptions, I don't think even the top 2-3 teams have "off" weeks.  Should be a lot of really good games this fall. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bashgiant

Welcome back gentlemen! It's great to see some activity on the board. As far as Wabash goes I think its going to be a real battle for the starting quarterback job as you have 3 great athletes (maybe more don't know anything about incoming freshman) in Belton, Putko, and Rice which is a good problem to have. Rumor has it they might even be running some wildcat offense and with Gibson, Holmes, Klembara, Stella, and Zurek returning at running back we could see some Wabash rushing records shattered. As far as defense goes Im thinking they will be better than last year if that is possible. September can't get here quick enough!

PS Does anybody have any word on incoming freshman?

WAF

sigma one

Stella is not enrolled for the spring semester; he probably will not return next year.  Klembara is nice insurance, but the plan is to limit him to defense if injuries don't force him to move over to the offensive side.  Holmes and Zurek are coming off significant injuries, but they seem to be on track to be ready to be the potential one-two punch they started out being last fall.  Word is that a hotshot running back is expected to come out of Arizona among the freshmen.   

bashgiant

Wabash has quite the stable of running backs, ball control is name of the game. Hopefully they are adding to the offensive line as well.

tigerfanalso

Wabash Fans

Looking forward to the HSC vs Wabash opener. Should give both teams a strong indication of just how good each will be.
From reading your post it appears Wabash is loaded on defense with a strong running game on the offensive side of the ball. Not sure how HSC will match up but looking forward the game and to the challenge of playing a very good program on their home field. Second game in a row HSC will fly to play a game and I'm certain that does not happen much in D3. Either way, this game should help both schools prepare for conference schedule.

sigma one

tigerfanalso:  back at ya.  Looking forward to seeing the passing combo of Nance Nash (gunslinger name!) and Walker--two big-time legit talents, plus whatever else the Tigers bring to Hollett Little Giant Stadium.  Every Wabash fan I've talked to is looking forward to the match up of two top-flight programs.   

DPU3619

The biggest issue for Witt is a new OC. Witt's OC from the past few years, Andy Mitchel, is the new OC at Marian in Indy. I did see on footballscoop yesterday that Witt hired Kevin Hoyng from Dayton to be their OC.

bashgiant

Quote from: sigma one on April 08, 2014, 05:22:02 PM
tigerfanalso:  back at ya.  Looking forward to seeing the passing combo of Nance Nash (gunslinger name!) and Walker--two big-time legit talents, plus whatever else the Tigers bring to Hollett Little Giant Stadium.  Every Wabash fan I've talked to is looking forward to the match up of two top-flight programs.   

This is a great game for both programs and can't wait to kick off the season with such a barn burner. Is there any word on the Wabash preseason game?
Wanted to throw a shout out to Riley Lefever (Freshman Wabash wrestler) for an incredible, undefeated season which has to be one of the hardest thing to accomplish in sports and throw a national championship on top of that and all I can say say is WOW!!!!! Great job Mr. Lefever!!

wally_wabash

I haven't seen a composite week 1 schedule for 2014 yet, but I'm sure Wabash vs. Hampden-Sydney will be one of the marquee games of the week.  Both teams will certainly be ranked, you've got the individual wattage of the Nash Nance Experience™, and the game is happening in one of the top drawing stadiums in D-III.  And hey, welcome to week 1 football, Wabash!  It's about time, right? 

Probably a good bet for a mention in the Triple Take on 9/5.  :)

wally world

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 10, 2014, 11:15:53 AM
I haven't seen a composite week 1 schedule for 2014 yet, but I'm sure Wabash vs. Hampden-Sydney will be one of the marquee games of the week.  Both teams will certainly be ranked, you've got the individual wattage of the Nash Nance Experience™, and the game is happening in one of the top drawing stadiums in D-III.  And hey, welcome to week 1 football, Wabash!  It's about time, right? 

Probably a good bet for a mention in the Triple Take on 9/5.  :)

They gotta come up with a name for this game.....Sausage Bowl. Maybe get a title sponsor...."Just For Men" perhaps.

wally world

Some notes from the NWI Times. A few Region players from Lake Central will be continuing their football careers in the NCAC.

QuoteBrian Rice and Mitch Oskam will continue their careers at Wabash College. Jake Turngren will play at Anderson University. Jesse Ruiz will play at the University of Indianapolis. And Johnny Gbur will play at DePauw. -- Steve Hanlon

Some more on Brian Rice....http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21916994-556/countdown-to-kickoff-lcs-brian-rice-a-quick-learner-as-returner.html
All I know about Oskam is that he is a CB. Region One North All-Star.

And I found this on the Gbur kid from his junior season...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-EHuLl7k-0

Also, I've seen that this kid is going to Wabash...
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/22383115-556/timeout-football-west-sides-charles-butler-hitting-football-jackpot.html
I saw West Side take on Andrean early in the season.....I can't specifically speak to this kid's talent, but man, that West Side team was a few players away from being special. They were explosive, and the only team I know that had Andrean down all season. It was 14-0 West Side before Andrean settled in and blew their doors off en route to a perfect 15-0 season.