Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

It seemed like business as usual in Middlebury this afternoon as the Panthers took a 3-0 lead over Bates less than 5 minutes into the contest.  Business as usual it wasn't, however, as the Bobcats stormed back to claim a 5-4 lead at the 11:16 mark.  Two scores by the Panthers gave the home team a 6-5 advantage at the half.  The hosts opened the second stanza as they had the first scoring thrice to lead 9-5 at 16:57 but from that point it was all Bobcats.  Clinging to a 10-9 lead Middlebury chose to shoot rather than run out the clock with a minute remaining.  A crucial save by Bates senior GK Eliza Statile, one of 20 she made on the day, gave the ball back to the visitors and with ten seconds left in regulation an unassisted goal by Summer Diaz tied the score at 10 all.  The Panthers won the draw to open OT but quickly turned it over and at 4:07 in the extra period Avery MacMullen popped in the game winner.   The games have begun. 

amh63

Yes Vandy....as the higher seed Amherst lost to the Colby Mules on Pratt Field...6-5.  Snow along the sidelines too :)

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 02, 2019, 04:05:00 PM
Yes Vandy....as the higher seed Amherst lost to the Colby Mules on Pratt Field...6-5.  Snow along the sidelines too :)

So much for home field advantage my friend. :-\  Colby is always a tough out.  I expect the basketball results tonight will restore the mood of LJ fans.   I hope the Panther women's team does the same for me. ;) 

MUC57

amh63 and Vandy74

Nice to see some posts from you guys again. Mount Union is not on your level but I enjoy talking/listening to you about women's lacrosse. I'm still learning but I will continue to read your posts as the season progresses. I can learn from both of you. Good luck to your teams.  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

amh63

Amherst's women lacrosse team has stormed back after it's season opener loss.  An indication of getting over their " showing up and winning attitude " was there last win over the ladies from upper NY state.  Down 3-0, the team got a talk from the coaches.  Amherst fought back to a 5-6 halftime score.  In the second half, Amherst shut the opponent down and won in a blowout.  Would have loved to overhear the HC remarks, but it was tooooo cold on the field and I was online :).
Hannah Fox, a star on the WBB  team, has her name added to the roster now.  Expect her talents to show up in the box/stats soon.  Quite a lacrosse player.
Vandy74, nice to see your comments.  Heard your comments on Hoopsville recently.  What's your sister in law doing now?....since her retirement from the Midd HC lacrosse job..

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 13, 2019, 10:42:42 AM
Amherst's women lacrosse team has stormed back after it's season opener loss.  An indication of getting over their " showing up and winning attitude " was there last win over the ladies from upper NY state.  Down 3-0, the team got a talk from the coaches.  Amherst fought back to a 5-6 halftime score.  In the second half, Amherst shut the opponent down and won in a blowout.  Would have loved to overhear the HC remarks, but it was tooooo cold on the field and I was online :).
Hannah Fox, a star on the WBB  team, has her name added to the roster now.  Expect her talents to show up in the box/stats soon.  Quite a lacrosse player.
Vandy74, nice to see your comments.  Heard your comments on Hoopsville recently.  What's your sister in law doing now?....since her retirement from the Midd HC lacrosse job..

amh63.....Missy is enjoying life as a grandma with the two youngsters living close by.  The Panthers took care of business against her alma mater Springfield last week before putting up a W in NESCAC play versus ConnColl on Saturday.  Amherst has an interesting non-conference schedule.  Recent victim William Smith played in the DIII championship game five times from 1988-95, losing each time to TCNJ who you host this weekend.  It will be four straight on the road for Middlebury, including Spring Break games at Salisbury and York, before hosting the Amherst contingent on April 30.  Thanks to my fantasy baseball league's late draft day this season I'll be able to attend.  Based on last season's stats I see that once Hannah Fox makes the transition from basketball to lax she continues to be a major nuisance to the opposition. ;) 

amh63

Just watched the replay of the men's game at Stevenson, md.  Three Nescac teams playing games.....Midd, Amherst, Wesleyan.  Amherst won in a thriller over RIT...both undefeated.  No. 2 ranked RIT is no longer undefeated! :).  Good Tourny for ranked teams to play out of conference foes.
Was in Annapolis, Md.....home of the U.S. Naval Academy.  Checking out the scene and favorite bookstores, art galleries, etc.  Several classmates have sailboats berthed there including a frat classmate  that went to Deerfield Acad.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Any Deerfield Academy guy is someone who I should not talk to ... says the Sarum alum. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Wednesday's 14-9 decision over Oberlin was the 100th victory for Mount Union's HC Emily Fisher.  As the only person to hold that position in the program's history, she reached this mark in just her seventh season at the helm of the Purple Raiders.  Ashley Bernardi scored six goals and Sydney Bumbarger added five to lead the offensive attack. 

MUC57

Quote from: Vandy74 on March 21, 2019, 02:51:09 AM
Wednesday's 14-9 decision over Oberlin was the 100th victory for Mount Union's HC Emily Fisher.  As the only person to hold that position in the program's history, she reached this mark in just her seventh season at the helm of the Purple Raiders.  Ashley Bernardi scored six goals and Sydney Bumbarger added five to lead the offensive attack.

Vandy

I was there. Thanks for reporting the info. I haven't been posting much on this board. Still read posts from you and amh63 though.
Mount is into Spring football practice and so am I. We'll try for #14 this year. Best to you.  :o

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If any one is interested ... I have been officially booked for the DIII Women's Lacrosse Final Four. This will be my fourth year as the play-by-play voice in the last five seasons (weird story on why I wasn't doing the games two years ago).

I will be joined my Monika Moore who has been the color voice each of the least three seasons - ever since they added the analyst position (doing the games solo for two years was a privilege, but also a significant challenge). I have enjoyed partnering with Monika as we have called games together for many years in the Baltimore/DC region including the other night for a major high school girls game.

Anyway ... there you go. Looking forward to being at Randolph-Macon this season and hopefully Johns Hopkins next season and Salem the following two seasons.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 27, 2019, 12:06:42 AM
If any one is interested ... I have been officially booked for the DIII Women's Lacrosse Final Four. This will be my fourth year as the play-by-play voice in the last five seasons (weird story on why I wasn't doing the games two years ago).

I will be joined my Monika Moore who has been the color voice each of the least three seasons - ever since they added the analyst position (doing the games solo for two years was a privilege, but also a significant challenge). I have enjoyed partnering with Monika as we have called games together for many years in the Baltimore/DC region including the other night for a major high school girls game.

Anyway ... there you go. Looking forward to being at Randolph-Macon this season and hopefully Johns Hopkins next season and Salem the following two seasons.

Dave,

That is good news.  You do an outstanding job not only covering the action on the field in a knowledgeable and unbiased manner but also sensing when the rules and strategies might need explaining to viewers watching a game they don't fully understand.    As Middhoops and I have said before, you're the best we've heard working the mic and you and Monika make a great team.  I hope to have a rooting interest in the Final Four but for the moment I'll settle for a sunny, warm and dry forecast.   I haven't let the Spring that hasn't sprung totally dampen my enthusiasm.  I've been following my Panthers.   I'm hoping for Middlebury to avenge their season-opening OT loss when they host the Bates Bobcats tomorrow in NESCAC quarterfinal play.  The game begins at noon.  The Weather Channel site says it might stop raining by then. ::) :P 

MUC57

After trailing by four points twice in the game, Mount Union ties the game at 9-9 with 2 minutes left and scores the winning goal with 1 second left. Final score Mount Union 10 - Capital 9.
Both teams entered the game with identical 7-0 records in the OAC!. This is the Purple Raiders 6th OAC championship in 6 years.
Next week will be the OAC Tournament to determine who goes to the NCAA playoffs. UMU will be number 1 seed, of course! Go Raiders! 🏆  ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 27, 2019, 03:44:13 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 27, 2019, 12:06:42 AM

Dave,

That is good news.  You do an outstanding job not only covering the action on the field in a knowledgeable and unbiased manner but also sensing when the rules and strategies might need explaining to viewers watching a game they don't fully understand.    As Middhoops and I have said before, you're the best we've heard working the mic and you and Monika make a great team.  I hope to have a rooting interest in the Final Four but for the moment I'll settle for a sunny, warm and dry forecast.   I haven't let the Spring that hasn't sprung totally dampen my enthusiasm.  I've been following my Panthers.   I'm hoping for Middlebury to avenge their season-opening OT loss when they host the Bates Bobcats tomorrow in NESCAC quarterfinal play.  The game begins at noon.  The Weather Channel site says it might stop raining by then. ::) :P

Thank you, Vandy. I appreciate the kind words. Monika always does an outstanding job giving into the stories of the players, coaches, and teams while I try and at least understand the general scope for the game. The rules and strategies side of things is both fun and sometimes head scratching - already run into a few moments this season calling a handful of games. LOL Sometimes I am trying to egg Monika into commenting more ... but she sometimes brushes those off on me. HAHA

As for weather, last year's weather stunk in terms of pushing off the championship to the next day ... but I got paid an extra day, so I didn't mind. Not sure how I feel since I have another gig I'm supposed to be at on Monday (as I was last year as well). :)

Gray Fox

SCIAC All Conference Women.
The home towns are as interesting as the players named.

https://www.thesciac.org/sports/wlax/2018-19/releases/20190429t3sa3a
Fierce When Roused