MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

super game... 121-120 9 minutes left... had to turn the volume off... EC announcers pretty bad... er, VERY bad...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Smitty Oom

Just tuned in, all I hear is a lot of buzzing, so maybe EC decided to mute them!

EC looks like a fun little gym.

Every time I watch a system game, all I can think is how much I would have loved to play against for a game.

Greek Tragedy

Yeah, it was good and then buzzed for a few minutes and then back to the audio feed. Pretty exciting game. I watched the last 9 minutes. Eureka with the huge upset. Apparently Alex Weigand went off and didn't miss a shot. 30+ points?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Maybe best game all year... EC 161-GC 153

Hank Thomas from me thinking best game I've ever seen out of him.. to goat when he tries 2 layups in traffic that get smothered allowing GC to get within 1... back to hero as he dominates the ball in the last two minutes, getting to the line often and putting the game away... 2 unsung heros for Eureka.. the football player Drew Barth who played significant minutes in the second half and consistently made the quick pass to the open man leading to countless layups for Eureka... and Koby White, got minutes, didn't turn it over, stuck critical 3's... these are guys who hardly ever play!!!
Haven't seen the stats.. did Bennington get 60?
Eureka won it in the 2nd half by not turning it over... they figured out how to beat the pressure and beat it consistently...
Alex Wiegand good player, shot nothing but dunks and layups... tough to miss... this was Thomas and Bennington's win

GU1999

I'm guessing DB ended with a conference record, but just shy of 60.  57. Still just a guess tho.  No box score... He was great. 

hopefan

Still waiting for stats... what does this do to standings

Greenville now a game behind Webster..and they lost to Webster earlier... if both teams win Wednesday (Greenville has a tough game with Westmin, Webster has upset minded Principia)... Webster will enter the matchup with Greenville with 2 losses, Greenville with 3...

Obviously if Webster wins over Greenville, they'll be the conference champs (assuming two wins over Prin)... if Greenville wins, they'll be tied with 3 losses... they will have split with each other....
so how did each do going down the ladder.. well, right now Spalding is in 3rd place with 6 losses, Westminster in 4th with 7 losses, Eureka and Blackburn tied for 5th with 8 losses.
Spalding plays at Blackburn and at Fontbonne... if they win both, Spalding will be in 3rd no matter what...both Greenville and Webster beat Spalding twice, so we'd look at the next team in the standings...and there are numerous variables to see who would come in at 8 losses.... it could easily be a 3 way tie between Westmin (lose to Greenville, beat Mac), Blackburn (needs to beat Spalding and Principia) and Eureka (needs to beat Mac and Iowa Wesleyan)... IT COULD be a 4way tie for 3rd and 4th if Spalding lost to Blackburn and Fontbonne (yes it could happen)...

and so, unless I have the time to do it all, We'' have to wait until Wednesdays games to get a clearer picture.....

so many ifs... most fun will be to root against Spalding and for everyone else to make Saturday's games incredibly meaningful....

hopefan

Quote from: GU1999 on February 11, 2019, 11:12:37 PM
I'm guessing DB ended with a conference record, but just shy of 60.  57. Still just a guess tho.  No box score... He was great.

Nope, Bennington finishes with 51

The incredible number though is Alex Wiegand 16 for 16 from the field, 36 points... thought the perfect 16 for 16 might be an NCAA record, but it's not... 5 guys have done better, topping out at 20 for 20... 3 of those players were D3 players.... unfortunately the SLIAC record book does not have an entry for most Field goals attempted in a game without a miss....

GU1999

On the night that Eureka just wouldn't crack, Fox StL did a GU feature.  coverage link below. There could be a lot of people at the game Saturday as all of the St. Louis media has been pushing the Webster game as an opprutunity to see "the system." 

https://fox2now.com/2019/02/11/the-system-has-greenville-university-racking-up-hundreds-of-points-per-game/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

ecreddevils

Wow, what a game. EC goes toe-to-toe with GU for a full 40.  You guys recounted the stats, bottom line is EC had what it takes to beat the system.  Ball handlers, athletes to match GU, and the ability to run at that tempo without cracking. What's also interesting is that Greenville hits most of their benchmarks, actually shot the 3 ball well (27-62, 43.5%), were +27 in FGA, and +8 in TOs, and still lost.

Four year starter and all-around workhorse, Senior, Alex Wiegand with the stat line of his life--this guy deserves it--quiet grinder who often sacrifices the spotlight to do the dirty work.  I'd have to go back and count the number of monster dunks he had.  Great job, Wiegs. 

In an interesting tactical gambit, Wilde deploys starting football quarterback Drew Barth (call him DB II) as an inbounder against the press.  Makes sense as he's a good decision maker, passer, and calm under pressure.  Gives 13 quality minutes.

As entertaining a game as you will ever see and big win in what has been a roller coaster conference ride for the Red Devils.

Pat Coleman

Maybe QBDB for Barth. Thanks for letting us know!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Principia vs Webster tonight... let's hope Webster is aware that Prin is coming off back to back wins over Eureka and Westminster....

it's not a night off

hopefan

I hope so much that Webster and Greenville play their best games on Saturday... like 135 to 134 who cares who wins.... so good for the SLIAC...

WUPHF

Quote from: hopefan on February 12, 2019, 10:04:55 AM
I hope so much that Webster and Greenville play their best games on Saturday... like 135 to 134 who cares who wins.... so good for the SLIAC...

Two questions...

If Webster and Greenville play for the SLIAC regular season championship on Saturday, is it safe to say that this will be the most exciting finish in say the 21st century?

Also, how early do I need to get there on Saturday?  Does Webster and Greenville turn out the students and fans?  I am thinking yes.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on February 12, 2019, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: hopefan on February 12, 2019, 10:04:55 AM

Two questions...

If Webster and Greenville play for the SLIAC regular season championship on Saturday, is it safe to say that this will be the most exciting finish in say the 21st century?

Also, how early do I need to get there on Saturday?  Does Webster and Greenville turn out the students and fans?  I am thinking yes.

Exciting finish?  that's a pretty subjective question... memories blur, so it's tough to separate regular season endings with conference tourney buildup... Because of the lack of true rivalries in the conference, I'd say Webster Fontbonne games at season end probably generated the most emotion of any games in the past... but as far as the general public being fed by the media, this ar exceeds anything the SLIAC has experienced...

as for attendance... Webster doesn't seat too many... but under normal circumstances, Webster doesn't have much of a following... I'm thinking Greenville may fill more seats on Saturday than Webster... I'd come to enjoy the ladies game and assure yourself of a good view for the men's game...

WUPHF

Thanks for that perspective! 

I did a quick search for some of the big games and it looks like they had estimated the attendance at 300-350.  It is hard to imagine that the gym holds more than that.

By the way, the Webster Journal had a worth reading story on the Men's Basketball team from December: http://websterjournal.com/2018/12/17/gorlok-head-basketball-coach-guides-new-team/.

Looks like quite a race for the Women's Basketball championship too.