MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy

Not that it makes Calvin's loss feel any better to me but Ohio Wesleyan is legit. Hung on to beat Wooster by 3 tonight but had them down by 26 at one point.

oldknight

Quote from: ziggy on December 03, 2014, 09:23:04 PM
Not that it makes Calvin's loss feel any better to me but Ohio Wesleyan is legit. Hung on to beat Wooster by 3 tonight but had them down by 26 at one point.

Any win at Timken is a good win. OWU has started its season 6-0 (2-0 in the NCAC) while playing only one home game. It's starting to look like the preseason coaches' poll pegging the Battling Bishops for fourth place in the conference has seriously underrated Mike DeWitt's club. Frosh Nate Axelrod really makes that team go.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 03, 2014, 05:04:18 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 03, 2014, 05:00:22 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 03, 2014, 09:15:17 AM
Well, for whatever reason, Mrs. KnightSlappy thinks the family trip we took to Kenosha four years ago was super swell

Really? Kenosha? Mrs. KnightSlappy didn't recently suffer a blow to the head, did she? ;)

She is a big fan of the Kenosha public museum.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   All I know is I get to see some basketball games.

And you can always take her and the kids to visit the Jelly Belly factory if you need to sweeten the deal :)
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

KnightSlappy

Quote from: goodknight on December 03, 2014, 09:03:09 PM
I'll be happy if the games are close and competitive.  It doesn't seem to me that Calvin and Wheaton have played a close game since Dan Aultman tipped one in just before the buzzer at Wheaton to spark the improbable Final Four run for the Knights in 2005.

Combining the last three years there are only five total points separating the two sides (Calvin +5!). Of course, only one of those individual games finished within a final margin inside 17 points.

Only three single-digit contests since that Dan Aultman game, all Wheaton wins.

2011-12-03   Wheaton IL   71   at   Calvin   66      
2009-12-05   Wheaton IL   74   vs   Calvin   69      
2007-12-01   Wheaton IL   68   at   Calvin   67      
*2005-03-03   Wheaton IL   74   vs   Calvin   75   

Calvin has only won twice in the nine meetings since that game, both 20+ point victories. Kind of an odd series.

knightvision

Well, for whatever reason, Mrs. KnightSlappy thinks the family trip we took to Kenosha four years ago was super swell, so we're packing up the KnightSlappettes and heading around the lake on Friday. I'm hoping to see some quality games.

The Massey Ratings -- which still carries a good amount of pre-season (i.e. historical) weight this time of year -- says Wheaton is the best team of the four. Massey favors them by 3 points over Calvin and by 5 points over Hope. Carthage, on the other hand, is rated as the worst of the four. Massey currently predicts Calvin to win by 3 and Hope to win by 2.

Both CCIW schools are hard to nail down at this point. Carthage owns a probably-decent nine-point road win at UW-Platteville, but they were shredded by Washington U by 35 points in California, and barely escaped UC-Santa Cruz (who was 4-22 a year ago) with a one-point overtime victory.

I'm running my own d3-vs.-d3 efficiency rankings this year -- which don't yet have enough data to be fully operational -- predicting Wheaton over Calvin by 3 and over Hope by 11 and Calvin over Carthage by 9 and Carthage over Hope by 1.

(These rankings only see results vs. d3 games, so it doesn't count the recent games versus Aquinas and Cornerstone for either Calvin or Hope. Hope is the outlier here, only having the two UW games as inputs; this system is unfairly underrating them at this point. A upwards manual adjustment of ~5 points would not be inappropriate. I don't really like trusting this data set until a team has played at least five or six games.)

I'll be happy if the games are close and competitive.  It doesn't seem to me that Calvin and Wheaton have played a close game since Dan Aultman tipped one in just before the buzzer at Wheaton to spark the improbable Final Four run for the Knights in 2005.

I'll be winding my way around the south end of the lake on Friday afternoon with the inexhaustible oldknight.  The inestimable Mrs. oldknight has decided to give him a hall pass this weekend.  Meanwhile, the ineffable Mrs. goodknight is similarly relieved to enjoy a quiet weekend at home.

goodnight, that is indubitably an inimitable and altogether incomparable description--insightful, in-depth, some might even say inspired!

When I thought about bumming a ride to go myself, I considered my options.  I could ask knightslappy, but we've only met briefly at a game, and I don't know exactly how many little knightslappy's there are (and perhaps more importantly whether the DVD player in the family vehicle is working ;)).  In the end, I decided that if I were going to ask anyone, it would be you guys--even knowing that oldknight would make me slum it in the back seat...and insist that I pay for all the gas.   ::)

ziggy

Quote from: knightvision on December 04, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
Well, for whatever reason, Mrs. KnightSlappy thinks the family trip we took to Kenosha four years ago was super swell, so we're packing up the KnightSlappettes and heading around the lake on Friday. I'm hoping to see some quality games.

The Massey Ratings -- which still carries a good amount of pre-season (i.e. historical) weight this time of year -- says Wheaton is the best team of the four. Massey favors them by 3 points over Calvin and by 5 points over Hope. Carthage, on the other hand, is rated as the worst of the four. Massey currently predicts Calvin to win by 3 and Hope to win by 2.

Both CCIW schools are hard to nail down at this point. Carthage owns a probably-decent nine-point road win at UW-Platteville, but they were shredded by Washington U by 35 points in California, and barely escaped UC-Santa Cruz (who was 4-22 a year ago) with a one-point overtime victory.

I'm running my own d3-vs.-d3 efficiency rankings this year -- which don't yet have enough data to be fully operational -- predicting Wheaton over Calvin by 3 and over Hope by 11 and Calvin over Carthage by 9 and Carthage over Hope by 1.

(These rankings only see results vs. d3 games, so it doesn't count the recent games versus Aquinas and Cornerstone for either Calvin or Hope. Hope is the outlier here, only having the two UW games as inputs; this system is unfairly underrating them at this point. A upwards manual adjustment of ~5 points would not be inappropriate. I don't really like trusting this data set until a team has played at least five or six games.)

I'll be winding my way around the south end of the lake on Friday afternoon with the inexhaustible oldknight.  The inestimable Mrs. oldknight has decided to give him a hall pass this weekend.  Meanwhile, the ineffable Mrs. goodknight is similarly relieved to enjoy a quiet weekend at home.

goodnight, that is indubitably an inimitable and altogether incomparable description--insightful, in-depth, some might even say inspired!

When I thought about bumming a ride to go myself, I considered my options.  I could ask knightslappy, but we've only met briefly at a game, and I don't know exactly how many little knightslappy's there are (and perhaps more importantly whether the DVD player in the family vehicle is working ;)).  In the end, I decided that if I were going to ask anyone, it would be you guys--even knowing that oldknight would make me slum it in the back seat...and insist that I pay for all the gas.   ::)

The bigger question is, how many consecutive viewings of Frozen can you tolerate?

SKOT

Mr. Ziggy (Or Ms. its sort of difficult to tell through these internet machines.) I almost never give out karma, but thought it would be appropriate to bring a Calvin fan's positive karma up to +666. 

You're welcome.

P.S. Having your negative be at EXACTLY half of that at the same time was just a bonus!

goodknight

Quote from: ziggy on December 04, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

The bigger question is, how many consecutive viewings of Frozen can you tolerate?

I'm driving my Prius at oldknight's suggestion, and he promises to pay for the gas.  You bring the beer money and we'll dump oldknight's tight a$$ in the back seat.

oldknight

Quote from: goodknight on December 04, 2014, 07:51:58 PM
Quote from: ziggy on December 04, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

I'm driving my Prius at oldknight's suggestion, and he promises to pay for the gas.  You bring the beer money and we'll dump oldknight's tight a$$ in the back seat.

Four comments:

1) Goodknight has no writing executed by the party to be charged; hence the Statute of Frauds would seem to come into play and bar recovery.
2) It's late in the year, just met yesterday with our firm's tax advisor, and the budget is tight. Good thing you're driving a Prius because you can't count on a full tank by the time you get home.
3) Not looking for knightvision to pay the gas bill, merely looking to cash in that free golf rain check he issued this summer.
4) Glad to take ziggy's karma off John the Evangelist's dreaded Mark of the Beast.

HollandKnight

Quote from: sac on December 05, 2014, 09:43:02 AM
my original post was inaccurate, my bad

...also some of the guys that played in the first one are over 30 now.
It feels like I am beating a dead horse here but this Tournament has turned out to be a close, fun to watch series.
Owner of the 2013 Post of The Year voted by HopeConvert

Mr. Ypsi

Is it still the case the the host conference always wins, or are there exceptions?

sac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 05, 2014, 06:11:02 PM
Is it still the case the the host conference always wins, or are there exceptions?

Its been split a couple times, but neither conference has won more than 2 across the lake in either direction.  http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/history/miaa-cciw

Gregory Sager

I can't believe that ten years have gone by since that amazing shooting exhibition by Andy Draayer at King Arena (aka The Game Mr. Ypsi Actually Saw In Person).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Question:

With 5 minutes left, Brad Visser had 11 shot attempts to Jordan Brink 6.  How does this even happen?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 05, 2014, 06:52:22 PM
I can't believe that ten years have gone by since that amazing shooting exhibition by Andy Draayer at King Arena (aka The Game Mr. Ypsi Actually Saw In Person).

And that was was arguably the best shooting I ever saw in person, though perhaps surpassed by a game by Oscar Robertson at (fittingly) Robertson Memorial Fieldhouse (Bradley U., Peoria) roughly 50 years ago.  (The shooting by Duncan Robinson in the semis in Salem last April was pretty darned close.  I can't wait for his debut in D1 next year - what a coup if a D3 guy can be a flatout star in arguably the best D1 basketball conference! ;D  And I honestly think he can be.)

The ONLY flaw I saw in his game was that by D1 standards he was downright 'wispy'.  A year with the UM strength coach should do wonders.