WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enginerd

Stacked.
Wheaton should be a Top-10 team nationally by the end of the season - maybe higher.

GoPerry

Quote from: Enginerd on July 27, 2018, 02:43:41 PM
Stacked.
Wheaton should be a Top-10 team nationally by the end of the season - maybe higher.

Thunder fans should probably feel pretty good about starters Hannah Frazier, Devin Kyler, Jordan Myroth all returning as well as Jill Berg and Hannah Williams off the bench.  Frazier the only unanimous All CCIW returning player.  I'm expecting new recruit Hannah Swider and possibly Annika Simonson to see time  also - 2 solid guards that can fill in for Dansdill/Lawson loss.

I don't think they'll be Top-10 or 15 material unless one of the recruits really emerges as a 4 yr All-Con player.  Tough to judge from HS stats, as  promising as they are.

iwu70

WC sounds very well-stocked with talent and experience.  Here's to more great IWU-WC games upcoming.

'70

Gregory Sager

Kayla Patterson, a 5'6 guard from Schaumburg HS, is the newest addition to the NPU class of '22.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Good luck to the Titans for their trip to Costa Rica.  They won the first game vs. the national team there.  A good season upcoming . . . I'm sure.

Enjoy it all -- global and basketball TITANS.

'70

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on July 21, 2018, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on July 17, 2018, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: RogK on July 16, 2018, 11:34:03 PM
Congrats to Maggie McCloskey-Bax! Her time serving with Coach Bernero should enable her to "hit the ground running."
My guess is that no one from the 2017-18 Cardinals roster has a guaranteed spot for '18-'19. Hardly any of the potential returnees were consistently productive. Lyndsay Brennan may be the most reliable returning player. Who else comes to mind, lmitzel?
Many players have potential for some improvement. Interesting newcomers are expected, as well.

Last year was a bummer but it was a very young team. I'd think that the freshmen and sophomores are only going to get better. I'd agree that Lyndsay Brennan might be the best returning player, though I'd put Maya Walls and Siarra O'Neill right there too along with Natali Dimitrova if you're just looking at upperclassmen. Haydn Braun will probably get more run at the point with Mayson Whipple graduated, Bekah Foley should be healthy after missing a chunk of last year, and they get 2017 recruit Kylie Modaff back from her knee injury that kept her out all last year.

And take this for what it's worth, but before she left Michelle Roof told me she thought this recruiting class was the best one she had. Whether her departure changed anything or not I don't know, but there's a lot of talent coming in. And this will be a young team again: I think there will only be two seniors on this year's roster barring something weird happening.

Hopefully the new coach will be able to convince all of the recruits to follow through on their decisions to attend NCC. Another task that needs to be addressed is the hiring of a top, and possibly a 2nd, assistant coach in order to fully ignite the 2019-2020 recruiting efforts.

No telling how good any of them will ultimately be, but I've learned that the task highlighted above in red, has been accomplished.  :)

RogK

Here's a statistical measure of last season -- team points per own TOs :
IWU 6.0 (2434/407) and .862 win pct
CTG 5.3 (1862/351) and .692 win pct
WHE 5.0 (2024/402) and .786 win pct
AUG 4.5 (1883/420) and .600 win pct
ELM 3.7 (1793/480) and .500 win pct
MIL 3.5 (1697/485) and .320 win pct
NPU 3.1 (1468/476) and .360 win pct
NCC 3.1 (1497/489) and .200 win pct
CRL 2.8 (1452/528) and .320 win pct
There was a pretty strong correlation between PTS/TO and win pct. Yes, of course win pcts include unequal quality of non-conf opponents. I don't dare check any previous seasons or other conferences, in case the correlation falls apart (probably not).

RogK

lmitzel, given Naperville's proximity to Aurora, are there times when you can see the Naperville borealis?

Gregory Sager

Rog, one can hope that all of the Alices in Naperville will no longer be bored once basketball season comes around.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

I didn't get your reference initially, but a search explained it.
My knowledge of literature is startlingly below average. Maybe that's why I was considered for a Halfbright Scholarship!

AndOne

Quote from: RogK on August 16, 2018, 11:56:15 PM
lmitzel, given Naperville's proximity to Aurora, are there times when you can see the Naperville borealis?

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 17, 2018, 01:10:38 PM
Rog, one can hope that all of the Alices in Naperville will no longer be bored once basketball season comes around.

Quote from: RogK on August 17, 2018, 02:49:33 PM
My knowledge of literature is startlingly below average. Maybe that's why I was considered for a Halfbright Scholarship!

Go ask Alice when she's 10 feet tall. 🤯

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on August 16, 2018, 11:56:15 PM

Harder to from my new house compared to my old ones; I moved a little further from the border. Ultimately I got spoiled by spending the first 24 and a half years of my life in Aurora. And that is a sentence I never thought I would hear myself say.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 17, 2018, 01:10:38 PM
Quote from: RogK on August 17, 2018, 02:49:33 PM

This is the part where I take a potshot at my own private school education even though you'd think something like Alice in Wonderland would have been a part of it.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

lmitzel

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

From what I've seen, local D1 teams are usually nice to the visiting D3 team and do not continuously exploit individual size and talent mismatches. When the D1 team wins by 35 or 45, you can be assured that they chose not to win by 60.