FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

Any of you Belton area guys know anything on Belton High's Malik Green (safety)? Heard he committed/strongly intends on attending Maryville this fall.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Ron Boerger

Don't know of him, but his stats show he didn't get significant playing time until this season:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-green/WoM2evTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

His highlights basically show tackling prowess:  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1427547/highlights/107661376

Scots13

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

crufootball

Quote from: Scots13 on February 07, 2014, 12:41:02 AM
Any of you Belton area guys know anything on Belton High's Malik Green (safety)? Heard he committed/strongly intends on attending Maryville this fall.

Local paper mentioned that Green choose Maryville over UMHB and Southwestern for two reasons, Maryville is giving him a chance to play receiver and he wanted to not be so close to home. 

Scots13

One thing about it, he'll be a long way from home.

Thanks!
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

crufootball

Ron Boerger

Very interesting as the article linked above says

"If Belhaven believes this is the best move for the school and the NCAA accepts the application, the plan is for the Blazers to take the place of Mississippi College in the American Southwest Conference."

So much for getting rid of the long road trips to Mississippi ;-)

That would take care of the numbers issue the ASC faces in football (though I'm not sure of the timing with MC leaving next year and Belhaven starting their exploratory year at the same time).  And with Mumme now as coach there -- wonder if he knew of the plan before being hired.     

Also interesting that there is nothing i can spot on either the Belhaven general or athletics web site talking about this decision.  EDIT:  Ah, it's still in the "sources say" stage. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 13, 2014, 10:39:43 AM
Very interesting as the article linked above says

"If Belhaven believes this is the best move for the school and the NCAA accepts the application, the plan is for the Blazers to take the place of Mississippi College in the American Southwest Conference."

So much for getting rid of the long road trips to Mississippi ;-)

That would take care of the numbers issue the ASC faces in football (though I'm not sure of the timing with MC leaving next year and Belhaven starting their exploratory year at the same time).  And with Mumme now as coach there -- wonder if he knew of the plan before being hired.     

Also interesting that there is nothing i can spot on either the Belhaven general or athletics web site talking about this decision.  EDIT:  Ah, it's still in the "sources say" stage.
My thoughts exactly!

Should have happened 10 years ago!

evacuee

PurpleisBOLD98

Since when does Division III give scholarships for football... This could get intresting.
Go CRU!

jknezek

Quote from: PurpleisBOLD98 on March 05, 2014, 12:39:40 PM
Since when does Division III give scholarships for football... This could get intresting.

Most likely it is simply a small town reporter doing a poor job with the facts.

PurpleisBOLD98

Darn I was hoping for a good Division III footbal scandal. lol
Go CRU!

Warren Thompson

Quote from: PurpleisBOLD98 on March 05, 2014, 04:06:44 PM
Darn I was hoping for a good Division III footbal scandal. lol

There may well be genuine scandals in D3 sports -- D1 can't have all the "fun," can it? -- but this surely isn't one of them. Stay tuned. Your hopes may well come true.  ;)

Ron Boerger

Welcome newest provisional member Belhaven to the ASC beginning 2015:

http://www.belhaven.edu/news/articles/Belhaven-University-Applies-For-NCAA-Division-III-Membership-2014-03-05.htm

Question is, will Hal Mumme still be the head coach by then?