Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

I agree with Sager. Wher I normally see it is in the middle tier of the best leagues. Teams just a skosh over .500 in league play could be much better than the runaway champ of another. When that middle tier starts winning against the upper tier, it probably means the league is BETTER, not worse, even with lesser W/L records.

HOPEful

FWIW, I thought Adrian and Trine were better 3rd and 4th place teams than many previous years. We've been a little spoiled having had a few recent years where 3 or 4 MIAA teams have been quite good. I thought Olivet was inconsistent, but a good team last season. Hope's young team got better every week and if Sortillo doesn't go 7-10 from three, they might have gone down to Augustana and won. (He was just returning the favor after what Cody Stuive did to  WashU the season prior).

I think when you have two schools that are traditional powerhouses (Hope and calvin) and have a history of dominating the conference, when one of those schools struggles, the perception is going to be that the conference is down. If Olivet wins the conference this season, I hope the national dialog becomes "Look at what Steve Ernst is doing at Olivet!" and not "What's wrong with the MIAA?" Now, inevitably, if the knights have another season like the last,...
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

KnightSlappy

I'll cite Massey because that's what I do.

MIAA's ranking among D3 conferences:
2018: 8
2017: 13
2016: 6
2015: 11
2014: 18
2013: 11
2012: 18
2011: 7
2010: 11

Titan Q

In exhibition play, Loras defeated NCAA Division II power Augustana (SD) last night, 81-76.  The vikings won the D2 national title in 2016.

dunkin3117

An impressive win by the Duhawks, even if the Vikings are 'young' this year.  You don't hear Calipari or K using that as an excuse  :)

duckfan41

Quote from: dunkin3117 on November 02, 2018, 03:25:31 PM
An impressive win by the Duhawks, even if the Vikings are 'young' this year.  You don't hear Calipari or K using that as an excuse  :)

Made more impressive with how balanced the scoring effort was. DiCanio lead them with 20, then they got 14 from both George and McGowan, and then 9 from Ruggles. This team is going to be fun to follow throughout the season, especially since they get to play #1 NWU twice within conference play. Another marquee game for them is when they welcome the D3 Augustana to Dubuque during the week of Thanksgiving on Nov. 21st.

sac

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 18, 2018, 11:44:54 AM
I'll cite Massey because that's what I do.

MIAA's ranking among D3 conferences:
2018: 8
2017: 13
2016: 6
2015: 11
2014: 18
2013: 11
2012: 18
2011: 7
2010: 11

I don't think the MIAA was down last year, but I wouldn't call it the strongest either.  What it is right now is very balanced, more so than at any point probably in the 30 or so years I've been following along.  I like massey but I think last year the MIAA got a bit too much credit for playing very difficult out of conference schedules (it well be even more so this year).  I can't really recall the league having a signature win last year other than Hope over John Carroll, the league didn't beat any other ranked programs that I can think of right now other than Hope beating Augsburg in the tournament.

Our pair of champions last year were probably the weakest we've presented at the end of a season in that 30 years (that's using efficiency and the like so caveats's apply).  However teams 3 and 4 were equally as good and one or two different results in close margin games (and we had a ton of those) and either Adrian or Trine could have won the MIAA as well.  Our #5 and #7 were hit with the injury bugs, full strength and they'd be right up there too.  Calvin went 3-5 vs the top 4 even without their best player.

This year will most likely be the same but I hope a little better in those big regional games against the ranked team kind, and I'll even submit our #8 is going to be the best #8 team we've probably ever had.  Its just someone has to finish last.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 15, 2018, 06:50:57 PM
Greg - I am going to get snippy when you tell me that my argument is invalid... it's my argument, thank you. I will make it as I see fit.

And you can nitpick all you want, but the more losses I kept describing were at the top of the conference. I stated ... TOP of the conference. If you want to forget those facts and keep looking elsewhere, fine... but I'm done here.

But an argument about whether a conference is up or down should include all teams not just the top half.  The bottom of the MIAA won more games than they've
collectively won in quite a long time I'd bet.  The leagues worst team record was 8-17.    The only conference around the MIAA (Great Lakes and Central Regions) that didn't have at least one team with a worse overall record was the WIAC and that was 8-17 Stout. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes... the bottom of the league won more games. I haven't argued they didn't. That is not unexected when the top of the league is losing more games. Those losses result in wins.

My contention is this: while the top of the league lost more games and the bottom of the league won more games .. I do NOT think it is because the bottom of the league improved. I feel it was because the top of the league had declined and thus they were more prone to losses they normally never take.

You even said so yourself in saying the top two teams were probably the weakest seen in the last 30 years.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 02, 2018, 05:32:56 PM
Yes... the bottom of the league won more games. I haven't argued they didn't. That is not unexected when the top of the league is losing more games. Those losses result in wins.

My contention is this: while the top of the league lost more games and the bottom of the league won more games .. I do NOT think it is because the bottom of the league improved. I feel it was because the top of the league had declined and thus they were more prone to losses they normally never take.

You even said so yourself in saying the top two teams were probably the weakest seen in the last 30 years.

Weakest in comparison to other MIAA Champions which are usually but not always historically top 15 or better squads.  I'd also emphatically say the bottom of the league was a lot better than any of the other years I've been watching..  The league was compressed top to bottom.

dunkin3117

Quote from: duckfan41 on November 02, 2018, 04:08:17 PM
Quote from: dunkin3117 on November 02, 2018, 03:25:31 PM

Made more impressive with how balanced the scoring effort was. DiCanio lead them with 20, then they got 14 from both George and McGowan, and then 9 from Ruggles. This team is going to be fun to follow throughout the season, especially since they get to play #1 NWU twice within conference play. Another marquee game for them is when they welcome the D3 Augustana to Dubuque during the week of Thanksgiving on Nov. 21st.

UW-Whitewater will also be making the trip to Dubuque. Some big games for this Duhawk team

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Welcome to the 2018-19 Division III basketball season!

The season also gets tipped off a week earlier than normal as the new start is now November 8. With an earlier start date comes an earlier start (and more total shows) for Hoopsville as well.

On the season debut of the 16th season of Hoopsville, Dave McHugh will chat with the two preseason top picks, and defending champions, along with a coach who made a big move in the offseason.

Dave will also talk about a lot of the hot topics entering the season including not only normal coaching changes, but also last minute changes including in the Top 10 of women's basketball.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's debut will hit the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch the show here: http://bit.ly/2PHzL3o

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or share them on social media.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Dale Wellman, No. 1 Nebraska Wesleyan men's head coach
- Pat Juckem, WashU men's head coach
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 1 Amherst women's head coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Dave and company, the first half of the show didn't record and was not on the apple podcast show and when I go to soundcloud. You probably know but just thought I would inform you here to make sure.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Smitty Oom on November 05, 2018, 12:10:40 AM
Dave and company, the first half of the show didn't record and was not on the apple podcast show and when I go to soundcloud. You probably know but just thought I would inform you here to make sure.

Hmm... I think I know what happened. Going to take a bit to fix. Will be updated when I can. I assume you are talking about ONLY the podcast.

Not sure what's up with Apple... need to figure out what might have changed there. That's all automated.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am in the process of replacing the file on SoundCloud (which will populate the other three sources) with the correct file. There is a bunch of "what?!" in that file. I think I know what happened, but can't really recreate it. It appears it is a stupid glitch with my audio editing software that sometimes ignores where i put the cursor, timeline indicator.

As for Apple... I see it when I'm looking at the podcast information in the "Apple Store." It did not automatically download to my computer, but I also may not have had it set-up right after an update on my end. I don't know how quickly or not Apple updates podcasts when they are uploaded. I will watch to see when it may "update" with the newer version.

Thanks for letting me know. I have made the necessary fixes, I hope. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

To follow up on Apple Podcasts ... it hasn't updated with the new version of our show, but I did read it can take 24 hours for Apple to populate. Not sure when they might update our episode... also not sure if that's why it wasn't ready when you went to look for it AndOne.