MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

QuoteA random post on a hot Summer day! 
Went to NothingBut Nescac for news.  Closed for the Summer :).  However on the side in the Twitter column, there was one wrt to a Colby player/ recruit?.  It contained a link to a video of the player making a impressive dunk...6'2" player.  Am impressed.  Any poster have any more info on the player?

Assume you are referring to Pat Dickert (that's the only link I saw re: Colby).  Dickert is a current player and he can really jump out of the gym.  He is incredibly athletic.

amh63

P'BearFan....thanks for the info.  Plus K
Went to the Colby website and saw that Dickert's video went viral in China!  Dickert'18 is a player that I will note this coming season...yet cannot recall playing last season.  Not unusual for me :P
Colby's roster does not provide any heights and weights...which I find unique.

amh63

Want to give a shout out and best wishes to the Hixon family as they head out to Rio!  The Summer Olympics open competition on 6 August...next week. FYI, Coach Hixon's youngest son will compete in two diving events.  The young college diver was coached in part by his mother.

amh63

FYI.....the men's 3 meter syn diving team with Michael Hixon in his first Olympics won the silver medal.  The USA team placed between first place Great Britain and China, the early favorite.
The Americans had to overcome an unusual 5 minute delay....they nailed their final dive!
Coach Hixon's son has another event to go.
It was nice that NothingButNescac tweeted the 3pm event on the Amherst website! :). Must remember to give NBN a plus K later.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The one shot of Dave Hixon I saw on the coverage (on the 12:30am show) looked like he was frustrated with the lack of execution on the basketball court. HAHA Made me laugh.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

grabtherim

Mike Hixon diving live in the 3m Springboard Prelims on NBCOlympics.com He is in 6th place after 5 dives. 

amh63

Saw Mike Hixon's first dive in the 3m Prelims.  Took a nap and saw the final dive by a host nation diver that won a place into the semis.  Two USA divers are in the top 10 for Tues' diving event.  Mike Hixon is at 10 and the other at 3.  Good luck to both!.
Thanks GTR for your post!  Plus K

nescac1

Congrats to Mike Hixon for representing the USA in style! 

Well, we are still far away from the season but we'll get at least some insight into Williams hoops over the next few weeks with their Spain trip:

http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20160811ojeazb

Lots of things to look out for this coming season, and hopefully a few will begin to sort themselves out during the Spain trip and pre-season:

(1) Who will step up into a starting center role, or will it be a true center-by-committee approach? Each of the three returning centers brings different skills to the table, but each need to come into the season physically stronger, more confident, and more aggressive offensively.  Williams definitely needs more aggregate production from the "5" spot than it received last season. 
(2) Will James Heskett and Kyle Scadlock make major leaps forward as sophomores and show more offensive consistency?  Both have enormous upside as big, athletic forwards who can both drive and shoot, and who can create havoc defensively with massive wing-spans, and Williams will count on them for major upgrades in production.  Both guys had some big moments as frosh, but also struggled at times to get in the flow offensively as you would expect from a first-year player.   
(3) The returning starting backcourt of Casey and Teal both proved they can hit difficult clutch 3's last year.  Now they have to prove they can avoid costly turnovers and show better on-court chemistry with teammates, serving more in a playmaker capacity as well.  Casey in particular has the passing ability to double his assist-per-game average, or come close to doing so.  Both need to improve at the free throw line as well. 
(4) Galvin, Tae Scott and Greenman are a solid, very experienced group of ball-handling guards off the bench, but all struggled with major injuries last year.  Greenman is according to this link still recovering, and health is the key issue for all three to make bigger contributions this season.  Depth could be a real asset if at least two of those three come into the season at 100 percent, and at least one will need to shine as the top guard off the bench. 

amh63

Well, the 3m diving finals are tonight!  Both USA divers..Hixon and Ipsen...are in, with Hixon finishing 4th and Ipsen 6th among the final 12 divers.  Defending Russian gold medal winner did not qualify.  Mike Hixon flirted with medal slots throughout his 6 dives...first after three dives.  He is just a point behind 3 rd place.  China top diver was the most consistent and should be the favorite.  Most of the other divers had one off dive that cost them points...including Mike Hixon.  Did see Coach Hixon in the crowd....early in the event.  Most of the crowd shots showed hometown fans supporting their divers.

Nescac1...the Spain trip should help the team bond...at least among the returning players.  Amherst's trip overseas helped the team last season IMO.

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on August 16, 2016, 11:13:11 AM
Well, the 3m diving finals are tonight!  Both USA divers..Hixon and Ipsen...are in, with Hixon finishing 4th and Ipsen 6th among the final 12 divers.  Defending Russian gold medal winner did not qualify.  Mike Hixon flirted with medal slots throughout his 6 dives...first after three dives.  He is just a point behind 3 rd place.  China top diver was the most consistent and should be the favorite.  Most of the other divers had one off dive that cost them points...including Mike Hixon.  Did see Coach Hixon in the crowd....early in the event.  Most of the crowd shots showed hometown fans supporting their divers.

Nescac1...the Spain trip should help the team bond...at least among the returning players.  Amherst's trip overseas helped the team last season IMO.

Am currently watching the 3M diving on NBC. Michael Hixson just nailed a high degree of difficulty dive giving him over 91 points and a chance at a top 3 finish. I assume I'm watching a replay since you state that he is in 4th place going into the finals. Saw Coach Hixson and family numerous times as they flash to the family after each one of Michael's dives. Hoping he has a good finish tonight. 

grabtherim

Mike Hixon finished in 10th. 

ronk

amh63,
    Some more neighborhood(Olney,MD) Olympic chatter:
      my former next-door neighbor, Helen Maroulis, competes tomorrow(9-12 AM, 3-6 PM) in freestyle wrestling(53 KG). In high school(Magruder), she finished 4th in the state against boys and MD is decent nationally in high school wrestling(guessing top 20); this gives Olney 2 Olympic wrestlers(Kyle Snyder-Good Counsel) and Good Counsel also has Jack Conger from the gold medal swimming relay team.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on August 17, 2016, 09:23:23 PM
amh63,
      my former next-door neighbor, Helen Maroulis, competes tomorrow(9-12 AM, 3-6 PM) in freestyle wrestling(53 KG). In high school(Magruder), she finished 4th in the state against boys and MD is decent nationally in high school wrestling(guessing top 20); this gives Olney 2 Olympic wrestlers(Kyle Snyder-Good Counsel) and Good Counsel also has Jack Conger from the gold medal swimming relay team.

My wife went to Magruder HS.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 18, 2016, 08:49:37 AM
Quote from: ronk on August 17, 2016, 09:23:23 PM
amh63,

My wife went to Magruder HS.

My children's friends would have been in classes '90 and '92.

amh63

Guys....Hoop fan and ronk...have passed by Good Counsel (new buildings/location) and Magruder frequently....on my way to Annapolis/ beach and to work at APL/ JHU.  Fine schools with high caliber students and sports.  Unfortunately, basketball is Not a sport that comes to my mind.