BB: South Region General Talk -- '07, '08, '09 and '10

Started by SamuelAdams, March 24, 2007, 10:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.G.

FERRUM TO HOST REGIONAL TOURNAMENT...
...you heard it here, first.

narch

Quote from: religion_major on April 30, 2007, 04:53:49 PM
Aren't both Rhodes and Millsaps bellow Methodist in the regional rankings anyway?  If that is the case then I do not see how an Austin College victory hurts Methodist that much if any.
primarily because there is now one additional team fighting for a limited number of pool c slots and the monarchs still have 3 very difficult games remaining...one loss in those contests could send the monarchs below BOTH millsaps and rhodes in the regional rankings

narch

Quote from: Hornets19 on April 30, 2007, 06:26:59 PM
is this speculation or fact?  it's nowhere to be found on the usasac or ferrum sites?

A.G.

Quote from: narch on May 01, 2007, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: Hornets19 on April 30, 2007, 06:26:59 PM
is this speculation or fact?  it's nowhere to be found on the usasac or ferrum sites?
Trust me on this one...

narch

i've got the monarchs at 9.53 qowi counting only regional records for all of their opponents - a win sat vs. york and a split @ salisbury would push them to 9.74, assuming york then splits with ncwc

mu has 3 games remaining vs. teams who are CURRENTLY better than .667...if mu beats york, they (mu fans/players/coaches) need to root for a york/ncwc split so that york stays above .667

i get 305 pts/32 games = 9.53 qowi...not sure which game i'm missing as a regional game, but the regional rankings show mu with a 23-10 regional record - i can't imagine capital, endicott, tufts or lawrence would be a regional game? - the salisbury split would be an 22 point split, the ycp win would be a 14 point win giving mu 341 pts/35 games = 9.74 qowi

a sweep, consequently, would give the monarchs a 9.97 qowi

will 2-1 be enough...

Ralph Turner

Capital (OAC) is in Admininstrative Region #3 by the new rules this year.

Endicott, Tufts and Lawrence are not.

Spence

The administrative region stuff counts in the regional record and the QOWI?

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Spence

Yeah that last part is new to me.

So, at the risk of being directed back to the FAQ, what is the purpose of the administrative regions? Are they going to make at-large judgments by administrative region rather than the old-school regions? I thought those were supposed to be national anyway.

I guess I'm just confused. I don't understand the intended effect of the administrative regions. I'm not criticizing it, just saying I don't get it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Spence on May 04, 2007, 11:02:01 PM
Yeah that last part is new to me.

So, at the risk of being directed back to the FAQ, what is the purpose of the administrative regions? Are they going to make at-large judgments by administrative region rather than the old-school regions? I thought those were supposed to be national anyway.

I guess I'm just confused. I don't understand the intended effect of the administrative regions. I'm not criticizing it, just saying I don't get it.
Spence, the NCAA has tried to increase the number of potential in-region opponents (regional emphasis being part of the core of D3) by adding another group of teams that would be considered in-region.

The next incremental expansion (after the 200-mile radius rule) is the Administrative Region rule which became effective this year..

The NCAA recognizes 4 administrative regions for its governance.  These are:

#1) New England, NJ, DE, MD and DC
#2) NY and PA
#3) VA, WV, OH, MI, IN, KY, TN, AR, LA, MS, AL GA, FL, SC and NC.
#4) TX, OK, KS, MO, IL, WI and west to HI and AK.

Pat Coleman

I think we're kind of in a no-man's land in Division III right now, standing between the Division III philosophy, which emphasizes regional play, and the coaches expressed desire to have all games against Division III opponents count in the primary criteria for playoff selection. Adding the already-existing administrative regions to the primary criteria equation was an attempt to provide some relief to the coaches.

It was much debated and discussed and was not the most popular solution.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Spence

Gotcha.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be great to see a USA South/OAC challenge series or something. Maybe get 2-3 of the top teams from each conference to meet somewhere for a 3-4 day round robin (not playing the teams in your own conference, obviously) where everyone's on level terms pitching-wise and all games would count as road games in-region. The times when Ferrum and Methodist came to Marietta for the short-lived in-season tournament (every team played 6 games in 3 days) we hosted were great. Good competition, good crowds.

Would be great for fans, not so much for in-region record. As far as the criteria goes, you'd be better off playing four against Villa Julie, someone you know will be over .500 but would be an easier touch than a USA South team.

Pat Coleman

Well, probably not so much anymore once opponents' opponents' record comes back into play next season.

Spence

Seems to still work pretty well for the Missouri Valley and Duke in D-I basketball, but we'll see if it does for baseball, I guess.

Ralph Turner

I will use the change in subject heading to welcome all South Region baseball fans back for the 2008 season.