BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat11

Quote from: NWBaseballFan10 on May 26, 2015, 05:21:37 PM
I just can't see him leaving a school, program, and town that he loves for just any D1 program...

Bingo.

pumkinattack

Hi all, I have a nephew that's heading to Linfield in a few months and will be playing baseball there.  Was hoping to see if anyone could help give me a lay of the land around campus so I can get some gift cards (thinking like restaurants, stores that the students utilize nearby regularly) or any other ideas for his HS graduation gift (and belated 18th bday gift).  Should I go ahead and shave his head and buy him a too too and/or leotard in advance of coming hazing on the team?  Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Probably won't post much here since I gave up the FB one over the idiocy in my region, but look forward to following and lurking on here.  Saw the letter from Coach Brosius recently and unless he's selling a story he was quite clear he was leaving Linfield to pursue an MLB gig, not DI, but I guess you don't know until you know. 

Ralph Turner

punkin, "welcome to the Northwest Conference board".  +1!

We fans in the West really enjoy the camaraderie.  This is a kinder gentler part of the country.

There is lots of cross-posting between "Texas" and the West Region schools in both baseball and football.

We are glad to have you here.

Become active. Baseball kicks off starts throwing out the first pitches January each year.!

playball

Congrats on having a Cat in the family!  Albertsons/Safeway, Dutch Bros, and Alfs are all good gift cards to get him.

Westside

Agreed - welcome. As far as stuff close to the campus, we pretty much walked to Albertson's for all our grocery needs. So that is generally safe. Alf's or Jake's Deli are super walkable from campus too.

Other local places that are popular amongst college kids would be: Sandwich Express, 3rd Street Pizza, Thai Country, Wild Wood Cafe, Crescent Cafe, Muchas Gracias...

Really McMinnville is overwhelmed with quality and fairly cheap places... Hard to go wrong with a bunch of options.

Welcome to the Wildcat family! Your nephew should really love it. The team is generally pretty easy going, as I haven't really seen any hazing or anything like that... but who knows :) Hope he is ready to compete as there is always room for newbies to make a difference. Being an upperclassmen is no sure thing.

Go Cats.
NWC Baseball

Westside

I've heard rumblings that PLU's head coach is one of the few being considered for the vacant head job at University of Portland. It will be interesting to see if anything goes down. It would be crazy if both him and Brosius left in the same offseason.
NWC Baseball

wildcat11

NWBaseballFan10

Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2015, 10:12:14 PM
I've heard rumblings that PLU's head coach is one of the few being considered for the vacant head job at University of Portland. It will be interesting to see if anything goes down. It would be crazy if both him and Brosius left in the same offseason.

Rumors were true

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/portland-hires-loomis-coach/

Congrats to Coach Loomis. This is a big loss to the PLU program.

Westside

I see that Linfield has a non-league series against Webster (of Missouri) in California this year. I am loving the scheduling the Wildcats have done the last few years with some great teams from across the country. As fun as the West Region is, it gets a little repetitive playing the same teams year after year.
NWC Baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

Plus Webster has one of the neatest Mascots in Athletics. Gotta love the Gorlocks. It is a really quality program though.

Westside

We made it to opening week! This should be one of the more open seasons that I can remember. I think a lot of teams are in the running to make the NWC tournament.

My pre-season rankings would be:

1) PLU
2) Linfield
3) UPS
4) Willamette

Which means that it will be nowhere near this at the end of the season.
NWC Baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

What about George Fox, Where do you see them ending up? I do not follow the west oo closely, but I thought Historically they were usually pretty good. I know that the NWC tournament is relatively new, so there is no real history to pull form for that.

Westside

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 02, 2016, 01:25:02 PM
What about George Fox, Where do you see them ending up? I do not follow the west oo closely, but I thought Historically they were usually pretty good. I know that the NWC tournament is relatively new, so there is no real history to pull form for that.

It's hard to say... Their offense should be a lot better. They were very young last year and had only one senior, although he was their best player.

But they have to replace almost their entire staff. 41 of their 42 starts last year were from guys that were seniors. And they weren't that good last year, on top of that. So it seems like a long shot for them this year, but their program should still be middle of the pack.
NWC Baseball

NWBaseballFan10

We've finally reached one of my favorite weeks of the year! I've been stoked for the season to start and to see how the NWC shapes out this year. Similar to Westside, I'll take a stab at NWC predictions and likely look foolish come April, but this is more fun than work  ;D

Conference predictions:
1. Pacific Lutheran - Great depth in all facets of the game although I am curious to see how they play without Coach Loomis at the helm

2. Linfield - Lost 2 of the best starting pitchers in program history and a variety of other key contributors, but I've heard good things about the development of certain guys and there's some new faces in the program who could contribute right away. The post-Brosius era has officially begun.

3. Willamette - Lost quite a bit of production offensively, but I like their pitching staff more than UPS' and I'm a sucker for a quality pitching staff. Not to mention for whatever reason the Bearcats always make it a difficult weekend for the guys in the other dugout. We should have an early indication of how they stack up with PLU and Linfield on the slate this weekend.

4. Puget Sound - Should be formidable offensively and I would hope they can improve on their lackluster 4.73 ERA from last season.

5. Whitworth - Fairly young last season offensively, but the starting rotation has been completely wiped clean (38 of the 43 games were started by seniors). Too many unknowns on the mound to predict them any higher.

6. George Fox - I'll admit every year I show love to the Bruin program and expect them to be contenders, but they've fallen short of those expectations the last couple seasons. Not going to lie I really wanted to put them up in the top 4, but until they start producing on the field I will settle for them being in the bottom half of the NWC. Too many questions on the mound IMO.

7. Pacific - Haven't shown enough to move up toward the top half of the league, but they have key pieces returning in the heart of their lineup. Plus they are well coached (2 Linfield alumni)  ;)

8. Whitman - Can't do a whole lot worse than last season, but unfortunately it ain't going to be much prettier for the 2016 club.

9. Lewis & Clark - I know nothing about this team...plus I need to get back to work!  ::)

Let the fun begin! :D