WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Mark, no doubt.  Challenging competition good preparation for a great championship run.  That tourney always has at least 3 top 25 teams battling it out on the first weekend of the season.

IWU70

RogK

Congratulations to Gianna Pecora, recently honored as Augie's team MVP :
http://www.augustana.edu/x56438.xml
Their season review is here :
http://www.augustana.edu/x56427.xml

RogK

Congratulations to Brittany Carper, an assistant coach at Carthage the last two seasons; she is now head coach at Aurora University :
http://athletics.aurora.edu/news/2013/4/1/WBB_0401131158.aspx
This article notes what a superb NAIA D2 player she was, not too long ago. One season she averaged 21.5, 5.8 rebs, 7.2 assists and 4 steals. Her team won national titles twice.

Titan Q

sumfun

And her sister is a sophomore at Amherst.  Fun if they met for a national championship!!

iwu70

Holness looks pretty good, nice shot, pretty quick.  A good addition, a very worthy understudy for Baltes? 

Titans need some size, some rebounding to help out Seibring, Reaber and others in the post.  Need some pounders, some enforcers a la Karen Solari!  Sure would love to see Shelby Jackson return.  Just say'in. 

Good luck to all graduating Titans!  Graduation in less than a month now.  Amazing how early -- May 5th in front of the new State Farm Hall (new classroom building), north side of the IWU Quad.

IWU70

Mr. Ypsi

Mark, May 5th sounds about typical now that they are a standard calendar (I kind of liked the 4-1-4 system they had when we were there).  I'm assuming a primary reason they dropped the January term was because summer jobs were mostly all taken by the time Titans finished the term - when did that happen, do you know?

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 06, 2013, 12:29:54 AM
Mark, May 5th sounds about typical now that they are a standard calendar (I kind of liked the 4-1-4 system they had when we were there).  I'm assuming a primary reason they dropped the January term was because summer jobs were mostly all taken by the time Titans finished the term - when did that happen, do you know?

It had been changed for some time when I arrived in 2002, Ypsi.  I've been at an institution that has the short term in January.  Doing it in May has several advantages, and getting a jump on the summer job market is one of them.  Another one is that the better weather is advantageous, both for classes on campus (tennis, golf, environmental activities) and for travel courses.  May 5 is actually a slightly later date than usual, but that's just because of the way the days fell in the calendar.  We had a holiday break that was longer for a day or two for the same reason, and that pushed back the graduation date.
You'll never walk alone.

Mr. Ypsi

HT, the January term also had an advantage for me. ;)  My senior honors thesis was a 'nationwide' survey of college students (done face-to-face); since most schools are September to December, then January to April, my January tour worked a lot better than May!

Since my blessed parents were willing to send me to Europe that January, when I chose the survey instead they rented me an RV.  When it totally froze up after 3 days, I came back and used motels the rest of the month.  Fortunately, back then, Motel 6 really DID charge $6 a night!  My 'nationwide' survey never went west of Texas, but did hit most of the south, midwest, and east.

Statistics and research methodology eventually became my specialty, and I was rather embarassed about how biased and shoddy my thesis was, but it WAS a learning experience.  And, after all, that IS the point of it! ;)

RogK

Wheaton assistant coach Sarah Harris has taken a D3 head coaching position :
http://athletics.covenant.edu/sports/wbkb/2012-13/releases/20130513c5oxn1
Congratulations, Sarah!

iwu70

Perhaps this was posted earlier.  The IWU program named Katy Seibring as the MVP for the season.  A break-out year for Ms. Seibring, first-team All-CCIW as well.  Coach Smith has recruited well.  She awarded 10 players letters, with 8 of 10 returning.  Of course, will be tough to replace seniors Melissa Gardner and Michelle Bilek, two wonderful TITANS.  But, three starters and many important role players returning.  Starters back are:  Seibring, McMahon and Baltes.  Reabers and Scurlock key role players returning.  Titans need some toughness, some bangers to hit the glass.  I'm sure "run and jump" will continue . . . perimeter shooting still important.  The future is bright, but CC will be the favorite, I would think. 

Looking forward to the new season . . . in time. 

IWU70

iwu70

Michelle Bilek named "Director of Basketeball Operations" for Div. I Columbia U in New York City.  Hired by Coach Glance, formerly of ISU, now the new head coach at Columbia.  Touring the Ivy League for basketball games is a pretty good gig.  Congrats to Michelle -- who has aspirations of being a coach herself.  Story on the iwu.edu sports page now.

IWU70

newCCIWfan

I don't usually post on here. But I came across this article / picture as I was searching for Millikin Basketball recruits. Should be a good get for the big Blue!

http://www.paxtonrecord.net/andrew-rosten/2013-04-22/pbl-girls-basketball-standout-amanda-yip-ypya-verbally-commits-millikin.htm

Here is a pretty cool picture of the Millikin coaches at her signing! I think its really cool they were able to be there!! pic.twitter.com/ZEKNW1E1Dp

RogK