MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Beer and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on August 27, 2013, 09:48:26 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on August 27, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
Quote from: URockets on August 27, 2013, 03:12:12 PM
Appears to be another D-1 shooting guard transfer to IWU.....6'6", 200 pound junior Alex Rossi.  Went to Cal. as Freshman, then transferred to Valpo. for Soph.  Appears injury bug has bit him in college, but has quite the h.s. resume'. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11762/rossi-to-join-valparaiso-mens-basketball-program/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/95006/alex-rossi

I believe Rossi will play the 3 at IWU, not the 2.

What are the prospects for him as far as becoming a starter? If that occurs, I would think Ziemnik moves to the 4 spot, and Davis becomes the 5.

I don't think anyone knows what to make of this, or what Rossi's role will be in 2013-14.  This whole deal just seemed to completely fall in IWU's lap kind of out of the blue. 

iwu70

Nice pick up for the Titans -- as Q says, a wildcard who may or may not figure in the new lineup, be truly healthy etc., as Ron Rose has a lot of talented, experienced players vying for PT.  Hope Rossi is healthy and can make a good run at a successful DIII career at IWU for the next two years.  That size and that shooting range at the 3 could be very very nice.  Does beg the question though whether this guy can really challenge Zman at the 3.   Big doubties on that.  May wish to consider him still at the 2 if he passes, shoots and sees and runs the floor as well as his reviews indicate.  If Nick Anderson wins the 5, could be one of the bigger lineups we've seen from the Titans in some years.  Would be nice to get more rebounding out of the 2 spot. 

IWU70

AndOne

Didn't know IWU had a new head basketball coach!  ;)

Ziemnik isn't going to be "challenged" as far as being displaced from the starting lineup. If someone else can adequately man the 3, he will simply move over to the 4, for which he is superbly suited, and VD will slide to the middle.

iwu70

AndOne, thanks for the edit.  I corrected my error!

You may be right about Zman shifting to the 4.  Seems Davis at the 5 is a waste though given his range and speed, three point shooting etc.  I'd prefer Anderson at the 5 and let these new guys earn their spurs or starting PT by CCIW season.  We'll see.  So many good players, so little PT.  Gotta feel bad for good players like Mayberger, Nelms, Musselman, perhaps even Zimmer and Sodemann perhaps being bumped down the depth chart.  But, nice problem to have -- it is what it is and IWU is lucky to have these two seemingly very talented DI transfers.  But, they still have to earn their way past guys that are tested, experienced in the IWU system and way of winning.   With all this talent, may lead Rose to have a somewhat bigger rotation this season. 

IWU70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on August 27, 2013, 11:59:49 PM
Nice pick up for the Titans -- as Q says, a wildcard who may or may not figure in the new lineup, be truly healthy etc., as Ron Rose has a lot of talented, experienced players vying for PT.  Hope Rossi is healthy and can make a good run at a successful DIII career at IWU for the next two years.  That size and that shooting range at the 3 could be very very nice.  Does beg the question though whether this guy can really challenge Zman at the 3.   Big doubties on that.  May wish to consider him still at the 2 if he passes, shoots and sees and runs the floor as well as his reviews indicate.  If Nick Anderson wins the 5, could be one of the bigger lineups we've seen from the Titans in some years.  Would be nice to get more rebounding out of the 2 spot. 

IWU70

I don't think there is much chance Rossi will play the 2.  In my opinion, IWU's PG/SG rotation is probably going to be:

PG Dylan Overstreet (Jordan Nelson)
SG Jordan Nelson (Brady Zimmer, Pat Sodemann)

With minutes per game being something like:

* Overstreet - 27
* Nelson - 24
* Zimmer - 15
* Sodemann - 14

IWU has a lot of talent at the 1/2 spots.  You have a returning 1st Team all-CCIW PG (Overstreet), a mid-major D1 transfer (Nelson), a D2 transfer (Sodemann), and then the per game leading scorer in CCIW play last year on a 13-1 team (Zimmer, 14.1 ppg).  So there is no room for Alex Rossi to figure into the guard rotation.

I believe Rossi, if he's healthy and makes a compelling case to be in the rotation, will exclusively play the 3.  And I think his skill set fits perfectly at the 3 at the D3 level. -- he's that type of Keelan Amelianovich big wing/extremely pure shooter type player.

The options for Rossi are basically, 1) he is the backup 3 behind Andrew Ziemnik, or 2) he starts at the 3, pushing Ziemnik to the 4 and Victor Davis to the 5.

I see two probable starting lineup options come CCIW time...

A
G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3 Jr
G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1 Jr
F - Andrew Ziemnik, 6-4 Sr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr
C - Nick Anderson, 6-9 Sr

B
F - Alex Rossi, 6-6 Jr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

(I'm not ruling out Zimmer or Sodemann winning the SG job over Nelson, but my gut feeling is that Nelson is going to win that job...and that Nelson will play all PG minutes when Overstreet is on the bench.)

Either one of those starting combinations would work well due to the versatility of IWU's players.  Option A would allow the Titans to essentially play just like they did last year, with Ziemnik at the 3, Davis at the 4, and a traditional center. Option B would be a different look, but Ziemnik can easily play the 4 (it's probably his natural position), and Davis can easily play a more traditional low post, back-to-the-basket role than what he played last year.  Remember, with option B, it would be extremely hard for an opposing defense to double team Davis (with all of those shooters on the floor), so while Davis isn't 6-6 or 6-7, he'd still be hard to handle one-one-one down low based on how strong, physical, and athletic he is.

On paper, it's hard for me to even determine what I think would be better at this point.  Those options are both good.  I guess if I had to put my money on it here in late-August, I'd bet on Option A...because I think 1) Nick Anderson is going to make a really strong case to be a starter, and 2) with Rossi not playing much the last 3 years, I'm guessing he's going to need time to settle in.  Either way, I'm very confident that Ron Rose will use both Option A and Option B looks throughout games (depending on matchups and situations).

It will be fun to watch it play out...the Titans should have a good team this year, with a lot of talent and lot of versatility.

hopefan

Thought my CCIW buddies might enjoy the post I made in the NJAC Football room...

Not sure a school could get better publicity...

Today, Yahoo had an item about 4 New Jersey students who walked into a convenience store that was left open and unattended  even though it had closed... security cameras clearly showed the students shopping for items, then going to the checkout area and leaving $$$ that covered all items they took (purchased) though no employees were present....  the video raved about the honesty, and what further caught my eye was that when they were interviewed later, 3 of the 4 wore WP football t-shirts... and I'm assuming that stands for William Paterson!!!

FANTASTIC!!!!

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Titan Q on August 28, 2013, 07:33:27 AM

IWU70

I don't think there is much chance Rossi will play the 2.  In my opinion, IWU's PG/SG rotation is probably going to be:

* Overstreet - 27
* Nelson - 24
* Zimmer - 15
* Sodemann - 14

IWU has a lot of talent at the 1/2 spots.  You have a returning 1st Team all-CCIW PG (Overstreet), a mid-major D1 transfer (Nelson), a D2 transfer (Sodemann), and then the per game leading scorer in CCIW play last year on a 13-1 team (Zimmer, 14.1 ppg).  So there is no room for Alex Rossi to figure into the guard rotation.

I believe Rossi, if he's healthy and makes a compelling case to be in the rotation, will exclusively play the 3.  And I think his skill set fits perfectly at the 3 at the D3 level. -- he's that type of Keelan Amelianovich big wing/extremely pure shooter type player.

The options for Rossi are basically, 1) he is the backup 3 behind Andrew Ziemnik, or 2) he starts at the 3, pushing Ziemnik to the 4 and Victor Davis to the 5.

A
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

B
F - Alex Rossi, 6-6 Jr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

(I'm not ruling out Zimmer or Sodemann winning the SG job over Nelson, but my gut feeling is that Nelson is going to win that job...and that Nelson will play all PG minutes when Overstreet is on the bench.)

Either one of those starting combinations would work well due to the versatility of IWU's players.  Option A would allow the Titans to essentially play just like they did last year, with Ziemnik at the 3, Davis at the 4, and a traditional center. Option B would be a different look, but Ziemnik can easily play the 4 (it's probably his natural position), and Davis can easily play a more traditional low post, back-to-the-basket role than what he played last year.  Remember, with option B, it would be extremely hard for an opposing defense to double team Davis (with all of those shooters on the floor), so while Davis isn't 6-6 or 6-7, he'd still be hard to handle one-one-one down low based on how strong, physical, and athletic he is.

On paper, it's hard for me to even determine what I think would be better at this point.  Those options are both good.  I guess if I had to put my money on it here in late-August, I'd bet on Option A...because I think 1) Nick Anderson is going to make a really strong case to be a starter, and 2) with Rossi not playing much the last 3 years, I'm guessing he's going to need time to settle in.  Either way, I'm very confident that Ron Rose will use both Option A and Option B looks throughout games (depending on matchups and situations).

It will be fun to watch it play out...the Titans should have a good team this year, with a lot of talent and lot of versatility.

Good thing there is only one basketball.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on August 28, 2013, 07:33:27 AM

IWU70

* Overstreet - 27
* Nelson - 24
* Zimmer - 15
* Sodemann - 14

A
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

B
F - Alex Rossi, 6-6 Jr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

Looks like Sodemann who was the starter at the SG last year could easily be relegated to 3rd string.  :(

Who are the likely 1st backups at each position in the above A and B scenarios?

iwu70

As usual, Q has a pretty good sense of it all -- and makes sense with his analysis of the various options, prospects.  Sure will be interesting to see how it all plays out come mid-November, then CCIW season time  -- and, of course, perhaps influenced by injuries and other unforeseen factors.  Sure is a full house of talent now. 

On campus now -- State Farm Hall (new classroom building, home for faculty of the Departments of Business and Economics) now open and in use, new renovations of DugOut area in Memorial Center, and new apartments for upperclassmen, all good additions to the IWU campus.  As they say here at CUHK in the Campus Development Office, "Constant Improvement." 

Any other chatsters taking a stab at what their starting line-ups might look like come mid-November?

IWU70

USee

Been a boring couple of days with no more  D1 transfers mysteriously "falling into IWU's lap".  ;D

petemcb

Quote from: USee on August 31, 2013, 09:39:09 AM
Been a boring couple of days with no more  D1 transfers mysteriously "falling into IWU's lap".  ;D

So I guess you haven't heard the Jabari Parker rumors then.......

AndOne

Quote from: petemcb on August 31, 2013, 10:47:37 AM
Quote from: USee on August 31, 2013, 09:39:09 AM

So I guess you haven't heard the Jabari Parker rumors then.......

You mean concerning the fact he was seen in Wheaton a couple of times this past week?  ???   ;)

veterancciwfan

Alex Rossi is healthy and is looking forward to playing at IWU where basketball will be fun, not work as it is at D1.

iwu70

Sure hope Rossi and Jordan Nelson are healthy, ready to make a key contribution to the new edition Titans.  It should be "fun" -- not work for scholarship pay.  Gotta hope Sodemann and Brady Zimmer are healthy all season too.  Remember last season?  Eric Dortch at the 2 is not what I want to see again -- though I hope to see him getting more, well-deserved minutes this year at the 3, in key defensive situations.  A great defender, rebounder, slasher and an improved offensive player at the end of last season.  He has great heart.  We'll see early on who did the summer work, the lifting and the improving.   I'd bet on Anderson, Dortch, and Davis coming in very very fit and ready to go.  Would love to see it too from Musselman, but have my doubts.   

So many players to chose from, so little PT altogether.    Here's my shot at the depth chart:

(1)PG:  Overstreet, Nelson, Dolan, Nelms
(2)SG:  Zimmer, Sodemann, Nelson, Mayberger
(3)SF:  Zman, Rossi, Dortch, Mayberger, Heyen, Coyle
(4)PF:  Davis, Zman, Dortch, Musselman, Mahlke
(5)C:  Anderson, Davis, Musselman, Marietti

That's 17 deep and lots of talent and versatility.  I think 6 of these guys are seniors -- so likely 11 returning for 2014-15.  Future is bright for Titans' roundball. 

Obviously, some of these guys are going to be playing some significant JV minutes too (Nelms, Heyen, Coyle, Mahlke, perhaps Marietti) -- along with other returnees and all the 5-6 freshmen newbies coming in.  See earlier Pgraph piece on the Ron Rose class of 2017. 

IWU70