What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Josh Bowerman

"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Well, I think Pat would have to do that and he might be a little busy this weekend.

I would guess Pat would love to do that, however, I would also guess the funding and manpower for that isn't readily available.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Josh Bowerman

You mean there's something going on this weekend, hoopsfan?   Must've missed it somehow.  ;)

The comment wasn't directed at Pat as much as it was the rest of the normally opinionated folks in here.  I thought surely somebody would have chimed in with something like "jeez, hadn't thought of that;  good suggestion," or "who cares about anything but football and basketball". 

I appreciate your taking the time to be pithy.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Flea

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on March 13, 2006, 03:56:05 PM
No one has asked, but sort of a natural question for Pat related to the original purpose of this thread:

Is there any interest on the part of the d3 crew to used the d3sports.com URL to be a "blanket" site for all d3 sports, with the football and hoops boards remaining more specific?  I ask because it seems like the message boards for all the other sports would fit neatly under that banner, while also providing a forum for expanded coverage of baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, hockey, etcetera.

Just curious--that may eat into the off-season just a bit too much.   ;)

I would rather see sports specific.  It's hard enough shifting thorugh the basketball and football pages to find something specific.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on March 16, 2006, 09:48:12 PM
I appreciate your taking the time to be pithy.

No problem, although I rarely have time for anything else.

mybleedinghands

so soccer beats out track by 7 votes and track gets a board before soccer

Pat Coleman

Quote from: > on April 05, 2006, 11:22:14 AM

Soccer is out of season. If this were September, the opposite would have been more likely.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mybleedinghands

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 05, 2006, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: > on April 05, 2006, 11:22:14 AM

Soccer is out of season. If this were September, the opposite would have been more likely.

Oh okay

Ralph Turner

Well, Pat had already responded but here are my two cents.

>, Track is different from soccer.

I imagine that Soccer would take an infrastructure as complex as basketball, for men and women. That is more than 750 teams.

Soccer is also occurring in the fall, when the cash cow football (at least by site hits and extra revenue makers such as Kickoff) is demanding the most time, and the basketball infrastructure for the new season is needing great attention, e.g. schedules, updated links, etc.

As it is now, Track, Lacrosse and Baseball are seemingly low maintenance boards that are in the "off-season" for D3sports.com and its traditional excellence in covering football and basketball.

Pat Coleman

We'll still do soccer anyway, despite those hurdles. The setup can be done over the summer and hopefully it won't require any major attention from me during the season.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 05, 2006, 12:17:17 PM
hopefully it won't require any major attention from me during the season.

That's a brave statement to make publically.  Look out, here comes Murphy's Law.

cobbernation

Why are people choosing soccer as the next sport?  Soccer is an activity for skateboarder's when they choose not to ride for a few hours a day.

Skate or Die!

Pat Coleman

If you want hockey, I would recommend uscho.com. We're not going to do hockey here.

Ryan Coleman

Excuse me. I was a soccer goalie in high school and would have played that and Baseball in college had I gone the route of a school that had sports.

Soccer is possibly the most energy-intensive sport played on a regular basis in this country (please note that I am not bashing any other sports). I played basketball, baseball and soccer over many seasons of the year and it was the one that gave me the greatest workout.

And I was a goalie.

Quote from: cobbernation on April 09, 2006, 07:31:42 PM
Why are people choosing soccer as the next sport?  Soccer is an activity for skateboarder's when they choose not to ride for a few hours a day.

Skate or Die!
--
Ryan Coleman
Publisher, d3photography.com

Photo store | X | Mastodon | Patreon

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Um, I doubt any skateboarder would asert that they are in better shape than soccer players.  I think he was just bashing soccer as a sport altogether as less important.  It didn't really make any sense to me, but whatever.