FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maAggie5

LYCoFB, I think your reference to DVC as being a "predominantly black" team says much about your preoccupation with race. I guess when you have only two players on a roster of 100+ players you would think that any other team would be "predominantly black." Oddly enough you are wrong, but who cares.

The bottom line is that the past "elite" teams are having a difficult time allowing a team who used to be the perennial doormat of the league to enjoy their success and admit they are doing some pretty good things with their football program. This improvement is particularly impressive if you look at the fact that DVC is underfunded and has less than impressive facilities. The kids on the DVC football team are there for an education and to play some excellent football and enjoy the experience. The previous powerhouses are having a difficult time admitting this is a good program with some outstanding coaches and players, and they are playing well. It's obvious there is a certain frustration level for those opponants and they resort to extracurricular activities which have no place on the field.

I personally had no problem with the hit on 87 in terms of being a cheap shot or flagrant, it was however, and should have been penalized, pass interference, as the hit came before the ball. As you could see it didn't keep 87 from coming back and making a number of fabulous plays. Big hits are part of the game and 87 knows this.

Perhaps the discussion should end with this: DVC did what it had to do to win the game, even overcoming their own mistakes. They will need to eliminate those things(off-sides, int's, unsportsmanlike penalties)if they are to reach their goal of back to back macs. I believe they will do so.

Good luck on the remainder of your schedule Lyco.

Snake Parlor

lets drop the race comments and lets enjoy the season.  dvc is "predominately black" and thats all the kid said.  I don't think kids now a days even really think about race as being an issue as people a generation ago did.  so maggie just relax.  we all know DVC is one of the top 3 teams if not thee top team in the MAC.  After all they are defending champs.

as for moravian not being in the top 25, historically only 1 or 2 teams from the MAC make top 25 which is ashame because anyone who has watched a MAC game knows how good of football this league is.  personally i think evry year the two top teams in the MAC should make the playoffs.

As for no one talking about Albright's win over Kings thats also a shame.  I went and watched this game and I've been to plently MAC games before but this one ranks with one of the best games i've ever witnessed.  whether thats nfl, college, or high school.  the final 3 minutes there was 3 touchdowns.  kings was leading all game and albright came back with 3 minutes left.  Then kings came back leaving just under a minute left.  Then with 4 seconds left albright scores again as time expired off a batted down ball from a kings db.  the albright receiver dove and caught it.  the energy from the crowd that day was awesome and just defined what the mac is all about.  every team in this league is good people(DIII higher ups) just don't recognize the competition as much as they should. 

Warren Thompson

CONGRATULATIONS TO ...

RB John Ortiz (King's) and WR Adam Brossman (LVC) for earning a spot on the current D3Football.com "Team of the Week."

Ortiz had 59 carries* for 267 yards and two touchdowns v. Albright.

Brossman caught seven passes for 191 yards and three touchdowns (87, 35, and 03 yards) along with a two-point conversion catch v. Widener.

It's nice to see two MACers make the team the same week ....

---------------------------------------

* How does a running back have 59 carries -- a D3 record -- and not end up in the emergency room?

bman

Quote from: maAggie5 on September 27, 2005, 03:09:16 PM

The bottom line is that the past "elite" teams are having a difficult time allowing a team who used to be the perennial doormat of the league to enjoy their success and admit they are doing some pretty good things with their football program.

maAggie5

I think you are being a bit thin skinned....

Personally, I thought that LYCOFB's post took a lot of guts, and he without hitting everyone in the head with a hammer, pounded home the fact that the kids were just trying to play ball...and sometimes get carried away in the moment...I have a better time reconciling that than when fans get involved...

I guess I belong to the school of, "Act like you've been there before"....winning or losing....score a TD...hand the ball to the ref etc...

As to your blanket comment about the "elite" teams having an issue with DVC winning.  The fact is(and you will learn this) is that when you win for several years everyone guns for you...just ask the old guard for Lyco, WU, SU, Wilkes etc...

Also keep in mind that your audience (on this board) contains individuals who have supported/played on teams that have won or played in national Championship games....and their take is call yourself a powerhouse when you dominate a division or regional, not a conference....it sure is mine...

I personally wish DVC all the success in the world (not at Widener's expense :))
and will root for whomever makes it out of the MAC.

LVCALUM

Did Ortiz really have 59 carries in one game?  That's unbelievable!

Warren Thompson

LVCALUM:

As hard as it might be to accept, that's the official D3football.com word on Ortiz's performance. He did a number on LVC two weeks ago, but with "only" 151 yards.

patcummings

Yes, Ortiz did have that many carries...though the record was slightly overshadowed by the frenetic finish.

Now....I asked earlier, and this is getting to be too much.

Quit it with the race comments.  A team, regardless of heritage, should be recognized by their play on the field not the color of their skin.  End of story.  If one team's player(s) happen to make racist comments - that is a personal problem, not endemic to the institution they represent. 

This is a forum to discuss football. 

splik

I get tired just thinking about 59 carries.
bman
I'm neither an Albright or a King's poster, but it is hard not to notice a game as exciting as that one was.  I did not even get to see it on TV.
What's the big matchup this week?  King's-Susquehanna?
Or is it the battle of the Valleys? 

Lyco80

Bman,

Nice posting - I could not agree with you more on most accounts, and will, root for whomever moves forward from the MAC.

I live in Virginia and therefore keep an eye on non-MAC teams such as Christopher Newport, among others.  I am continually amazed by the NCAA playoff setup that permits teams, sometimes with 6-3 records, to be selected.  The MAC seems to always spend the season bruising one another in very heated contests that are as much a battle for football supremacy as they are about local bragging rights.  This struggle wears down eventual champions while other D3 teams seem to move effortlessly through their schedule entering the playoffs well-rested.

On the race matter:  I am sure Coach G and Rob Curry would love to recruit talented black/African-American athletes to Lycoming but lets be honest, Williamsport, PA is not all that cosmopolitan.   

In the end, this is really all about football, which can be a microcosm for life.  I say, good luck to all the teams, players, coaches, parents of MAC football.  To be a part of the sport as a college athlete is one of life's true treats - enjoy the moment to is fullest.  Go Warriors.

All the best.

MOJO

Warren,
Thanks for the update on the D3Team of the week.  Granted, I am biased towards LVC players, but Adam Brossman is an unbelievable talent.  I've never seen a kid that is as consistent a receiver as he is.  Anyone who reads this board knows I have consistently praised the abilities of Kelly at LVC.  I am a firm believer he can compete with any QB in the MAC.  That being said, Brossman is a big part of Kelly's success.  I have seen this kid make some catches that probably would have been picks, had another receiver been on the field.  I feel this kid is the best receiver in the MAC.  No, he doesn't have blinding speed but you'd be hard pressed to find a kid that can catch the ball in traffic better than he does.  As stated in earlier posts, I feel Kelly and Brossman could start for any team in the MAC, no disrespect intended.  I stated yesterday, if Kelly stays healthy, he will break every passing record at LVC in his career.  Ditto that statement for receiving records for Brossman.

LYCOFB

MAggie
i used the words "predominately black" as quoted from an earlier post... so you misunderstood my point on it which is ok and i agree drop all race issues are done with on the posts

My next issue is with me personally having a problem with Del Val winning, and i agree there are many people who this upsets, but i am certainly not one of them, yea it frustrates me losing to Del Val, but it frustrates me losing to any team. The best team in the league should win... and Del Val over the past two years has been the best team in the league hands down.. i am really glad that they are turning the program around down there.... My only reason for even posting anything on the game with Del Val was bc i felt personally attacked by earlier comments on the site... I feel that Del Val is a outstanding team and wish them best of luck in this years playoffs bc im sure they will be there..... 

PBR...

alright it looks like everyone is ready to move on past the issues of last weeks game. so it will be interesting to see how dvc reacts after an emotional win over lyco. lvc has some good players and should be a worthy opponent although its homecoming for dvc and with a off week the following week, i expect dvc will pull away in the second half. one thing i want to see is if dvc has any more of "going thru the motion" games like they had against wilkes. where after the game coach mangus waves off the media and rips into the players and coaching staff and tells them both about taking teams for granted. And proceeded to have a staff meeting next morning at 8a.m. sunday morning in his office to drive home the point and make sure that never happens again. He was more than a little fired up after that game at his players and staff.

WUDLINE

Let me first say that I am sorry for even commenting on this topic. However, I am at the point I feel I must say something. The racial discussions steming from the DVC / LYCO game need to stop. As previously mentioned by Pat, this site is set up for us to discuss football. In a year that we are lucky enough to have so many other stories to focus on why must we continue to focus on a negative. There are to many great players spread throughout our conference that truely deserve our attention.

splik

Quote from: upbrmeasap on September 28, 2005, 08:07:42 AM
...i expect dvc will pull away in the second half...
upbrmeasap
you sound like a broken record.  I swear I read that in every prediction you have made for DVC.  Not taking LVC lightly, I think they need to dominate on their homecoming if they are really as good as advertised.
To be a great team, like past Lycoming and Widener teams, it seems you should dominate from beginning to end.  Beating Lycoming by 3TD's any year means your really good, but the big question seems to be whether DVC can continue their recent success and be dominant like Lycoming and Widener have been. 

PBR...

ok splik or should i call you jimmy the greek? please refresh my memory when was the last time dvc lost a mac game? they will most likely run the table again this year so if you dont lose a mac game for 2.5 seasons i guess that is not dominating in your book. for those of us who have so much less knowledge that your mighty self please enlighten to what you would call a dominating team in the mac record wise? us little guys here at dvc are hanging on your every word..... ::)