FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Albion announcers were serious homers. Guys were covered on last two plays. No call was right call in my view

HCAlum86

July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

wabndy

Quote from: USee on September 03, 2016, 09:23:47 PM
Albion announcers were serious homers. Guys were covered on last two plays. No call was right call in my view

Albion announcers did a good job right up until the overtime homer calls. I did have to laugh early in second half when they seemed genuinely shocked at the viewership numbers on the YouTube stream - and then made a comment about the great number of people who were watching to "cheer on the Britons."

3q defense was painful to watch but kudos on the late 4q adjustment. Holding Albion to the field goal in the 4q on the long drive was huge. Overtime play was near flawless for Wabash. Lots to work on in the bye week. Albion played a great game. This may not be the last time we see them this season.

matblake

Quote from: wabndy on September 03, 2016, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: USee on September 03, 2016, 09:23:47 PM

Albion announcers did a good job right up until the overtime homer calls. I did have to laugh early in second half when they seemed genuinely shocked at the viewership numbers on the YouTube stream - and then made a comment about the great number of people who were watching to "cheer on the Britons."

Still not as bad as the Wittenberg call.   On the other hand, they did give the down and distance regularly.

I am really glad more and more schools are making video available.  I remember back to the pre D3 Sports days when you couldn't even count on a local paper to get the scores or even the spelling of the schools correct. Now, I get annoyed if they only offer LiveStats.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: matblake on September 04, 2016, 10:54:32 AMI am really glad more and more schools are making video available.  I remember back to the pre D3 Sports days when you couldn't even count on a local paper to get the scores or even the spelling of the schools correct. Now, I get annoyed if they only offer LiveStats.

When I graduated in 99 and moved back to Texas we could listen to the WNDY broadcast on RealPlayer (god I hated RealPlayer. Wabash sports was the only reason I had it). There weren't many schools even streaming radio then. Now it amazes me how many teams have video (and high quality, too) available.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

SaintsFAN

Franklin has a color analyst who talked entirely in cliches;  I'm not even sure this person 100% understands the game of football.  But their video feed was clear so two thumbs up.

I can think of nothing worse than hearing homer announcers from Witt.  Sorry about that.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Li'l Giant

Quote from: SaintsFAN on September 04, 2016, 04:35:32 PM
Franklin has a color analyst who talked entirely in cliches;

This guy?

Sorry, I'm a nerd.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

SaintsFAN

AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

jknezek

Quote from: SaintsFAN on September 04, 2016, 08:16:18 PM
Quote from: Li'l Giant on September 04, 2016, 06:02:31 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on September 04, 2016, 04:35:32 PM
Franklin has a color analyst who talked entirely in cliches;

This guy?

Sorry, I'm a nerd.

haha - WOW

Man that is an obscure STNG reference. One of the more trying episodes as well.

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

formerd3db

joe wally, wally w, bashbro, wabandy and other wabasher's:

First, joe wally, no offense take (i.e. the historic Hope joke a couple of post pages ago ;) I can take a joke!). To all of you, we've known that about those Albion guys (everyone inclusive) for years-no secret there is no love between the two schools (Hope and Albion) .  Anyway, nice win for your Wabash and it appears they will be right on track (at least so far) from where they left off last year.  I will be surprised if Wabash doesn't continue upward swing/improvement each week.  Albion will still be in the top of our league vying for the title.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

wally_wabash

Some quick thoughts on the NCAC's week 1. 

Kenyon - Started really poorly, dug out of a 14-0 hole to get this win.  Good stuff from the Lords and they've got a chance to get to 2-0 next week. 

Oberlin - The Yeomen battled back from a deep hole also to tie Kalamazoo in the 4Q, but couldn't quite close the deal.  Cruz caught 9 for 170 and he's really really good.  He'll be a big challenge for Kenyon this week. 

Wooster - The Scots actually led this game 13-7 in the second quarter and then everything went full sideways.  51-7 the rest of the way and the questions about Wooster's defense remain unanswered.  Or maybe we got an answer. 

Wabash - Deep dive later on with Wabash/Albion. 

Denison - The score here was closer than I thought it would be, but Denison really controlled this game throughout.  Marietta managed to get the thing back to 27-21 with about 5 minutes to play, then Denison chewed up 4 of the remaining minutes with a drive that ended with the clinching TD.  Good job here. 

Hiram - One of the two big head scratchers of the weekend for me.  Hiram returned almost an entire offense from last year and managed just 10 first downs here.  We knew Westminster was improved this year and this is evidence of that, but getting shut out is a surprise result for me. 

Witt - Not really sure what all to do with this result.  Capital is in full transition again, not just coaches, but they're moving away from an option style to something more conventional and those kinds of overhauls take time.  Really wild to consider Capital's current situation when they were a top 5 team just ten years ago. 

OWU - The other big surprise.  Sooooo much returning for the Bishops this year, I really thought this group would show well down in Belton and it was a total faceplant.  Two weeks now to get ready for Ye Olde Skull at Selby. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 05, 2016, 05:31:38 PM
Wabash - Deep dive later on with Wabash/Albion. 

Alright, I was only able to watch the second half of this game, so clearly I missed a lot of the good stuff.  This game had me concerned all summer- I think Albion's style is a bloody nightmare to deal with in the first game of the season.  And it was, it just happened kind of inverted from what I thought.  I thought Wabash would spend the first half chasing the Brits around, then settle in and lock it down in the second half.  Net result was the same, just a little different journey than I had envisioned.  Ingredients for upsets were there- a special teams touchdown, a defensive touchdown, a gassed defense in the later stages...but Wabash absorbed all of that and got the win.  And it's a big win, don't be fooled here.  That was a big road win. 

- I'm really stoked about Wabash rushing for 250+ at 4.8 ypc with Shamir going out after a couple of series.  Penola and Downing were dynamite and they had to be.  There's clearly plenty of talent here post-MZ and the OLs, with a couple of new pieces there, did a fine job. 

- 14 yards allowed in the first half by the defense was awesome.  We're used to seeing Wabash get better in the second halves of games, so getting out-adjusted after the break does give me pause.  But hey, there's some new personnel here so I'm not going to overreact. 

- I do think part of this second half was the early DQ of Austin Brown.  I was hoping to take a second look at his penalty on the archive, but I don't see it anywhere yet.  Hopefully we can look at it soonish. 

- Welcome to the rotation, Byshup Rhodes.  That dude had a game. 

- Kind of so-so game from Rice, if we're being honest.  18-36-129, 1 and 1 maybe isn't the most efficient line.  He'll get better.  Thought he was locked in on Page maybe a shade too much.  That said, the final regulation touchdown- whoa.  1) the marbles of Morel and/or Knoche to call that corner fade on 4th down after Rice had a handful of underthrows during the game...talk about sticking with your guy no matter what and 2) making that throw with all of the chips in the middle of the table...yo.  That was good stuff.  More of that, please. 

In my final assessment here, I think Albion was better than most (self included) thought they would be after graduating so much.  I thought their QB made several excellent throws against some really sticky coverage.  That outfit is going to gain a lot of yards and score a lot of points against the rest of their schedule.  NRFP spoiler, I've got Albion in the top 10 this week.  That's how good I think they are.  I'm looking around the region and there's going to be a really, really short list of non-conference results around the region that are as good as Wabash winning at Albion.  Franklin over TMC is better.  But past that, there won't be much that outpaces Wabash 41, Albion 34 even if a lot of people aren't yet hip to what Albion is doing in 2016. 

sigma one

Wally, et al:  a few observations to add to your analysis.  I attended the game.  In the first half Wabash made Albion look average.  In the second half, due to some first rate halftime adjustments, Albion went to work.  They recognized that they could use their quick passing game to get backs into space.  And then that short game opened up the  rest of the field.  It helped that Wabash did not play CJ McMann, one of the starting safeties.  And, Wally, you mentioned Brown, the other safety and an all-region player, being sent off on a targeting call.  About that call:  it happened right in front of the Albion bench, and I'm guessing that there was a big sideline reaction to the hit that might have contributed to the decision.  I think Wabash will appeal the suspension to the conference.  I would. So, for most of the second half Wabash was without its two starting safeties, and at one point was playing a freshman and another player who is essentially a third-stringer back there. 
     Credit Albion.  I, too, think they are very good offensively.  Adequate defensively. 
     On the problematic side, Rice under threw almost every deep ball    And also threw the interception to the receiver's inside (on a 10-yard out).  Result;  defensive touchdown  The receivers generally didn't get the kind of separation I anticipated.  The blocked punt, returned for another TD, really should not happen. Another second-half TD came when an Albion back fumbled and the ball bounced directly into the hands of another player already in full stride.
     On the positive side, impressive running game featuring Downing and Penola.  The new defensive line generally did well.  The last drive was a thing of beauty.  The TD pass to tie the game came with 12 seconds remaining on a 4th down fade perfectly thrown by Rice to Page, who got good position in the back corner of the end zone.  And, of course, the overtime score on a quick possession, followed by an impressive defensive stand, with the final two Albion plays, both passes, being well defended.  Add to this, Tutsie's FGs, Fox's 45 yd punting average, and display of coaching confidence on the 4th-down pass at the end of regulation. 
     Along with Brown's banishment, several injuries are concerning.  Sturdivant, Dylan Buresh, Johnson.  Christain, Wabash's leading receiver last year, did not play except to fair catch punts.  We'll have to see how serious those injuries are.  Two weeks to recover before Allegheny and three weeks to Witt.  Chances are that Buresh's injury may be the worst.
     Good game, great atmosphere, big turn out of Wabash fans.  Albion's marching band is impressive, dressed like the Buckingham Palace guard. 

DPU3619

Quote from: sigma one on September 06, 2016, 01:27:55 PM
     Credit Albion.  I, too, think, they are very good offensively.  Adequate defensively. 

#ShallowCross4Life