COVID19 Related Topics

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, June 11, 2020, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

So ... figured I would start this since it could be one place for everyone.

NCAA DIII has made a decision on pre-seasons for all fall sports: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-iii-increases-length-fall-sports-preseasons
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

crufootball

So basically you can start practicing like normal on August 10th (or first day of class) no matter the date of your first game?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: crufootball on June 11, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
So basically you can start practicing like normal on August 10th (or first day of class) no matter the date of your first game?

That appears to be the rule for this year ... or first day of school whichever is earlier.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

crufootball

What was the rule in prior years?

Hawks88

It seems like it used to be a formula that was calculated using the date of the first game and date of the first day of classes but it looks like now it's pretty much 23 days before the first game.

17.10.2.1 First Practice Date. A member institution shall not commence official preseason football practice sessions for the varsity, subvarsity or freshman team earlier than 23 days before its first scheduled contest or before the Friday after the institution's first contest if the first contest is scheduled for Thursday of the opening weekend. (Revised: 1/10/89, 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 1/12/04, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 1/17/15 effective 8/1/15, 1/26/19 effective 8/1/19)

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?ruleId=8111

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes - based on a school's first game date.

And each math is different in each sport. Football is always the earliest to come back. This just makes it easy for all sports and allows schools some flexibility.

JT2

FYI. I recently finished a 14 day quarantine, had no symptoms. I was required to have a swab up the nose COVID test ahead of a minor procedure. Day after test I was informed I was positive. Day after quarantine I went to my county's mobile COVID testing for a saliva test and tested negative. The staff members informed me that the swab test was only 70% accurate and the saliva test is 98% accurate. Some hospitals are still using the swab, I guess. I recommend seeking out a saliva test.
Tip - Stay young by having your first kid when you're almost 50.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

Gray Fox

Quote from: JT2 on August 02, 2020, 01:20:39 PM
FYI. I recently finished a 14 day quarantine, had no symptoms. I was required to have a swab up the nose COVID test ahead of a minor procedure. Day after test I was informed I was positive. Day after quarantine I went to my county's mobile COVID testing for a saliva test and tested negative. The staff members informed me that the swab test was only 70% accurate and the saliva test is 98% accurate. Some hospitals are still using the swab, I guess. I recommend seeking out a saliva test.

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/07/30/shira-doron-covid-19-testing-types-accuracy
Fierce When Roused

CNU85

From what I've read, the saliva tests are less accurate.

JT2

Quote from: CNU85 on August 07, 2020, 11:57:09 AM

I'm just going by what the nurse at the mobile told me. She said that swab was 70% effective and this saliva test was 98%. Apparently, you can breathe in to the nose various corona (not the one from China) viruses, and trip the swab test negative (the nurse explained). All I know is I spent 14 days in my basement with (Thank God) no symptoms. I have an apt with my PCP in Sept. I'll get an antibody test, if that is positive, then I'm an asymptomatic carrier, maybe my plasma can be used benefit to others. If I'm negative for antibodies, that would likely mean the swab was a false positive.

She also said people with normal immune systems breathe in viruses all the time, our immune systems are so good that most viruses are stopped before they start. And I have a soon to be 5 year old, before school closure, I got sick once a month from Nov-March. I'm not immune to the ankle biter cooties.

I'll report my antibody test when I have one. I had one in June that was negative.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: JT2 on August 07, 2020, 09:53:57 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on August 07, 2020, 11:57:09 AM

I'm just going by what the nurse at the mobile told me. She said that swab was 70% effective and this saliva test was 98%. Apparently, you can breathe in to the nose various corona (not the one from China) viruses, and trip the swab test negative (the nurse explained). All I know is I spent 14 days in my basement with (Thank God) no symptoms. I have an apt with my PCP in Sept. I'll get an antibody test, if that is positive, then I'm an asymptomatic carrier, maybe my plasma can be used benefit to others. If I'm negative for antibodies, that would likely mean the swab was a false positive.

She also said people with normal immune systems breathe in viruses all the time, our immune systems are so good that most viruses are stopped before they start. And I have a soon to be 5 year old, before school closure, I got sick once a month from Nov-March. I'm not immune to the ankle biter cooties.

I'll report my antibody test when I have one. I had one in June that was negative.

Is anyone??!!  We only rarely see the grandkids now (and they have obviously been coached NOT to hug grandma and grandpa during the visits) but before the pandemic Mrs. Y and I used to get sick after nearly every visit with them!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

While it is primarily a basketball show, we do have an all encompassing approach and mindset on Hoopsville. The latest podcast which we released late Monday afternoon features a conversation with Jason Fein. He is Athletics Director at Bates College and he is on the DIII Management Council (taking over as chair in January). He had a rather lengthy conversation about how things got to where they are and why the decision to pull the Fall Championships.

I tried to keep it as a generic conversation without going too far into the weeds. You may find it interesting.

It is the third segment of the show ... roughly the 40 minute mark, I think? You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

You also have your options on most of the common podcast avenues found here (click on the images where necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In.

JT2

Had a blood test last week. No COVID antibodies. So I don't really know what happened July (positive swab test, no symptoms). I also just had another swab test (negative) for the procedure that was canceled in July... glad to be able to get the minor procedure done. Nurse who administered the second swab test said the swab test is very accurate. Just color me totally confused, but happy that I'm apparently at least physically healthy. Mental status fluctuates according to my wife.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: JT2 on September 17, 2020, 10:31:53 AM
Had a blood test last week. No COVID antibodies. So I don't really know what happened July (positive swab test, no symptoms). I also just had another swab test (negative) for the procedure that was canceled in July... glad to be able to get the minor procedure done. Nurse who administered the second swab test said the swab test is very accurate. Just color me totally confused, but happy that I'm apparently at least physically healthy. Mental status fluctuates according to my wife.

Well there are false positives and false negatives in all tests. Did you get a second test in July to confirm the first? I had a gig with a bubble and if we tested positive we had the right to a second and even a third test to confirm.

Also, all things we don't hold on to anti-bodies forever as much as it seems we might. I don't know what the timing is, but I have heard two or three months on anti-bodies for C19, but I might be mistaken. I just know the timing is shorter than I expected.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Since there's no Stagg Bowl this year, does that mean Canton hosts in 2021 and 22 or will the bidding process still happen for 2022 and Canton just gets the 1 shot?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer