MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pridefan

WOW - 2OT, 3 buzzer beater win for Springfield over Clark today!

Great comeback win by Dan White buzzer beater to tie in regulation, 2 pt buzzer beater by Gibbs to send into 2nd OT, and half court buzzer beater by Gibbs to win!

Daly was awesome throughout - 31 pts, 18 rebounds - to lead the Pride.

Crean and Gibbs both played well.  Gibbs has 2 game winners in a row - Mr. Clutch!

Nice bench contributions which bodes well for the stretch run. Pride are now 4-4 in NEWMAC and playing well.

Hugenerd

Jimmy B was out again as MIT lost a close one to CGA.  Dou Soumare had 14 and 17 in the loss.

baseballguy

Hugenerd knows everything about  Jimmy B but he does not know why Jimmy B did not play the last two games.  What gives Hugenerd?

Hugenerd

First off, I am not affiliated with the program. Secondly, since MIT has not released any information in the recaps, it really isnt my place to speculate on any information. All the information I write about on this board is either taken from boxscores/season statistics, or from opinions I have made from watching games first hand. I am not going to write about gossip.

I also forgot to point out in my previous posts that not only is jb out, but MITs starting point guard, Brad Gampel has also missed the last two games.  Gampel is ranked first in the NEWMAC in steals and assists (JB is ranked #2 in both those categories).

baseballguy

Gotcha on the Jimmy B speculation.   But the Gampel thing? Come on!

golflax99

babson got out to a 23-1 start over wheaton today and held on to a 4 pt win (77-73) thanks to Zach Etten shooting 12-12 from the stripe with 26 points... babson is now 4-4 in the conference looking to get that home court advantage in the first round of the newmac tourney. babson is very streaky, but when they playing thier best, they look pretty unstoppable..

NortheastHoopsGuru

i've seen alot of basketball around New England over the years, and i can safely say that Jimmy B. is one of the best all-around players ive seen. MIT needs him back desperately, and if they get him back they should be alright in the NEWMAC. I hope they make the tournament so that Jimmy can be seen on a larger stage and get some well-deserved recognition.

pridefan

Wheaton down by 22 and coming back to lead?.....they're never out of a game with Coppola's 3 pt weapon.  Box score says he hit 7 0f 13 try's and by now everybody knows what he's capable of .

That must have been a fun game to watch but disappointing to lose after battling back from 22 down.

On a different note, is it just me or are some schools showing incredibly BAD taste with their songs being played during warmups and post game? For example, Wheaton playing "Hit the road jack and don't you come back no more..." when they win is classless, Clark's rap lyrics during yesterdays halftime warmup was downright fowl.  NEWMAC schools have a pre-game announcement about sportmanship by the fans - the schools should look in the mirror and rethink their "music" choices....

Allworld41

Pride Fan, are you 60 years old?

It's college basketball, it's fun, it's fun to twist the knife a little when you can, the easy answer if you think it's classless is simply "win more"

no one says boo when they lose

pridefan

Quote from: Allworld41 on February 10, 2008, 01:44:25 PM
Pride Fan, are you 60 years old?

It's college basketball, it's fun, it's fun to twist the knife a little when you can, the easy answer if you think it's classless is simply "win more"

no one says boo when they lose

I'd say the same thing if we were 20-0 and my team played it......

Plenty of college fans have fun and still show some class....and some don't.

LyonFan

<<babson got out to a 23-1 start over wheaton today and held on to a 4 pt win (77-73) thanks to Zach Etten shooting 12-12 from the stripe with 26 points... babson is now 4-4 in the conference looking to get that home court advantage in the first round of the newmac tourney. babson is very streaky, but when they playing thier best, they look pretty unstoppable..>>

This was a very exciting game (in response to PrideFan), but I would hardly call Babson unstoppable.  Hats off to Zach Etten, who played like the all-NEWMAC player many thought he would be when he first entered the league, and Kyle MCDonald is a really nice player - but Babson got a lot of breaks from the officials which, in my opinion, really helped to determine the final outcome.  One official called the last play an and-one, but was over-ruled and it was called a charge.  Wish I had the film to share.  Congrats to Springfield on winning on a last second heave - they used up Wheaton's karma with Clarke, who won on an Alexander 40-footer at the buzzer earlier this season. 

I still say that on any given night, any NEWMAC team is capable of beating any other - although WPI has certainly earned their first place position.

pridefan

Quote from: LyonFan on February 10, 2008, 03:01:12 PM
<<Babson got a lot of breaks from the officials which, in my opinion, really helped to determine the final outcome.  One official called the last play an and-one, but was over-ruled and it was called a charge.  Wish I had the film to share.  Congrats to Springfield on winning on a last second heave - they used up Wheaton's karma with Clarke, who won on an Alexander 40-footer at the buzzer earlier this season. 

I still say that on any given night, any NEWMAC team is capable of beating any other - although WPI has certainly earned their first place position.

I agree that its a very even league and your point about the officials is especially important since many games will go right down to the wire.  Hope the zebras are on top of their game this year!...games will be determined by calls in the last 2 mins. 

Anybody know how refs are assigned during the tourney?  Hopefully, the best ones are assigned - however they decide "best".

atn alum

Quote from: pridefan on February 10, 2008, 12:00:52 PM

On a different note, is it just me or are some schools showing incredibly BAD taste with their songs being played during warmups and post game? For example, Wheaton playing "Hit the road jack and don't you come back no more..." when they win is classless, Clark's rap lyrics during yesterdays halftime warmup was downright fowl.  NEWMAC schools have a pre-game announcement about sportmanship by the fans - the schools should look in the mirror and rethink their "music" choices....

Pridefan...I don't have a problem with "Hit the road, Jack" as I think that's done in fun (it's done frequently in the big leagues). I prefer victory celebration songs, but I don't consider this terribly egregious.

I do agree with you regarding some of the language...I was telling the Hoopsville host last night that I thought it was time to write something about this subject for "Around the Nation." I've run into a bunch of grandparent-age folks at games I've been to the last few yrs who are appalled by some of the language...Also see a lot of parents with little kids.

Think the thing to remember is that these games are family events. The point of what I was gonna suggest we write was that heading into conference tourneys, some teams should probably review their pre-game music, play the "edited" versions of certain songs.

Don't mean to spoil anyone's good time...just trying to watch out for some folks in the audience at these games.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Taunting is part of the college atmosphere, but it's pretty classless to include profanity.  If your college experience has not afforded you with a vocabulary wide enough to get across your opinion in a manner suitable for all ages, then you shouldn't be drawing attention to yourself.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

pridefan

Quote from: atnwriter on February 10, 2008, 04:27:38 PM
[

Pridefan...I don't have a problem with "Hit the road, Jack" as I think that's done in fun (it's done frequently in the big leagues). I prefer victory celebration songs, but I don't consider this terribly egregious.

I do agree with you regarding some of the language...I was telling the Hoopsville host last night that I thought it was time to write something about this subject for "Around the Nation."

I agree that Hit The Road Jack isn't that terribly aggregious and I didn't bother to post after that one...maybe I was overly sensitive on that one after a close tough loss.

Clark's haltime Rap lyrics left me shaking my head as I looked around at the kids in the stands.  Hopefully, they didn't pay attention.

You have one vote for a reminder article.  Hopefully Clark's AD will read it.