Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, those UNE newbies might be pretty good.  They gave Middlebury a scare tonight.  Midd is down a bit, but that's an impressive show.

Nichols kicked the crap out of Salve - and the Bates team NC almost beat last night took out nationally ranked Babson this evening.  Who knew it was Ryan Sheehan holding them back all this time?

RWU and WIT continue to look really bad.  WNE lost at Keene and Curry beat a truly awful Alfred State squad.

Conference play should be very interesting.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Bucket

Quote from: Hoops Fan on November 16, 2014, 11:05:23 PM

Yeah, those UNE newbies might be pretty good.  They gave Middlebury a scare tonight.  Midd is down a bit, but that's an impressive show.

Nichols kicked the crap out of Salve - and the Bates team NC almost beat last night took out nationally ranked Babson this evening.  Who knew it was Ryan Sheehan holding them back all this time?

RWU and WIT continue to look really bad.  WNE lost at Keene and Curry beat a truly awful Alfred State squad.

I'd argue that Midd's not down. I believe the Panthers will have a better season than they had last year, which was still a top four NESCAC finish. They key will be if Matt Daley comes back healthy in the new year after having a stress fracture diagnosed last week. From what I hear, he was the best player on the floor the first two weeks of practice.  With a healthy Daley, Midd can very well win the conference this year. Even without him, the Panthers will be in the thick of it and should conceivably finish in the top four.

In a very deep conference this year, NESCAC watchers are still pegging the Panthers from 1 to 3 or 4.

CCC Talk

Wentworth gets their running game going they could be ok.

40 freaking points?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bucket on November 17, 2014, 09:33:12 AM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on November 16, 2014, 11:05:23 PM

I'd argue that Midd's not down. I believe the Panthers will have a better season than they had last year, which was still a top four NESCAC finish. They key will be if Matt Daley comes back healthy in the new year after having a stress fracture diagnosed last week. From what I hear, he was the best player on the floor the first two weeks of practice.  With a healthy Daley, Midd can very well win the conference this year. Even without him, the Panthers will be in the thick of it and should conceivably finish in the top four.

In a very deep conference this year, NESCAC watchers are still pegging the Panthers from 1 to 3 or 4.

Ok, so they're not down from last year, but they're still below their peak of recent years.  That's all I meant.

Buzzerbeater

UNE guard play was exceptional all weekend! Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Their dribble drive to a dish or kick out kept a balanced attack between the New Bigs in the paint and Thompson getting open 3 looks. If the Bigs are coached up so they call stay out of foul trouble, they have a nice rotation of  3 Bigs and  4 guards that could be enough to come out on top of the league.
As far as Midd they out rebound UNE  52-38 and because of that we're able to take 13 more shots than UNE, but Midd shooting was at an uncharacteristic 30 percent??  KUDOS to UNE D or an off night for Midd?

Bucket

Quote from: Buzzerbeater on November 17, 2014, 04:00:40 PM
UNE guard play was exceptional all weekend! Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Their dribble drive to a dish or kick out kept a balanced attack between the New Bigs in the paint and Thompson getting open 3 looks. If the Bigs are coached up so they call stay out of foul trouble, they have a nice rotation of  3 Bigs and  4 guards that could be enough to come out on top of the league.
As far as Midd they out rebound UNE  52-38 and because of that we're able to take 13 more shots than UNE, but Midd shooting was at an uncharacteristic 30 percent??  KUDOS to UNE D or an off night for Midd?

I agree with your assessment of UNE guards—those two guys (#10 and #3), especially, will give teams fits this year.

I think the Midd shooting percentage was a combination of good perimeter and interior D and off nights for Midd shooters....a little bit of both, that is to say.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Looks like Pringle finally showed up for Salve tonight.  (He is coming off a major injury, so there's plenty of excuses for a slow start).  If they do indeed get Hanlon back after Christmas has been rumored, they might end up being the team we expected.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ENC beat Colby tonight at the UMASS-Boston tournament.  Always nice to get a CCC over NESCAC victory (especially when it's someone other than Connecticut College).

amh63

Hoops fan...a little harsh on Conn College! :). Just want you to know that a new poster on the CAC board wanted some info/details wrt to the ENC win over Colby at the UMassB tourny.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Turns out the win yesterday against Colby was ENC's first win against a NESCAC opponent since 1996.  They took out UMass-Boston today as well to move to 7-0.  The schedule's been very light (up until this weekend), but they're playing decently.  I've watched two games entirely at this point: slow start with lots of mistakes in the first half, with better defense and all-around play in the second (usually to make up deficits).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Conference play kick off tonight.

WNE @ CC
WIT @ SRU
ENC @ UNE
GC @ EC
NC @ RWU

We'll start to answer a few questions tonight: Is UNE as improved as they've hinted at?  Is Salve good or bad this year (they've been both so far)?  Who's king of the North Shore?  Just how good are those Roger Williams freshmen? Is anyone going to watch the WNE - Curry matchup?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So, not a lot to see tonight as I looked through the scores.  ENC beat UNE.  WIT (sort of surprisingly) demolished Salve, but it sure seems Pringle is not the same post-injury.  Sad, but not unexpected.  WNE beat Curry.  Then we get to the GC-EC rivalry, which went to OT, per usual.  Gordon pulled it out on the back of a 23-24 night from Miersma.  Yeah.  24 rebounds.  Gordon had 60 as a team.  60!  Sixty!  The teams didn't even shoot that terribly, they just shot a lot.  Dempsey added 20 and 13.  Gordon barely hit a three; Endicott had a ton of them.  Nichols and Roger Williams has no score yet.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ENC gets roasted by Endicott at home.  Jaylen Owens put up a Kobe line - 24 points on 10-26 shooting.  EC killed them on the boards and shot the lights out in the first half.

Roger Williams took care of Salve, WIT beat Curry handily.  Nichols continues it's big run, knocking out Gordon in Wenham 68-57.

Did anyone, in a million year, expect Nichols to be the cream of the conference?  Losing their best player in at least the last decade, plus a coach?  This dude from MIT must really know what he's doing.  Langadas always looked good, but we rarely saw it on the floor.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Pringle didn't play tonight.  Off the roster.  I imagine he's retired from basketball.  Sad end to a great career.  Would've been a heck of a team last year without the injury.  All the best.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ENC's Jaylen Owens hit a three with about four seconds left to beat Roger Williams (and end an ugly, ugly game).

Gordon beat UNE, Endicott took out Salve, and WIT over UNE.

Nichols handled Curry and continues to look very good.