FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faunch

Quote from: sjusection105 on January 17, 2013, 08:30:25 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 17, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
Duff; next burger trip... Sydney?

Some joint up there has just started selling the "Coat of Arms" burger, also called the kangemu.  It's made from kangaroo and emu, both of which are on the Aussie coat of arms.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/kangemu-burger-some-just-love-the-taste-but-others-go-hopping-mad/story-fneuz8zj-1226556148786
I
Duff-
From the menu at Boulder Tap House in St. Cloud:

Hamburger Hot Dog

An all beef hot dog wrap in fresh angus hamburger, topped with banana peppers, black bean chili, Burger Co. sauce, andr nacho cheese.

This place is a dream come true....... :P

I'm guessing that would significantly impact my calorie count on myfitnessplan.com ;)

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

ron doney

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 17, 2013, 04:16:21 PM
I just sent someone an email that pretty well summarizes my position on Caruso-gate:

I suspect this really isn't that outrageous in the end. If he's actually promising spots and then pulling the rug, well that's no good.  But the way kids are raised now days, they have massively inflated egos and vastly over estimate their value. When they hit a competitive situation and don't cut it, they tend to look for external excuses rather than facing the music. And parents aren't helping much in that area either with all the self esteem support etc. If there is one thing the current generation of kids lack, it sure isn't high self esteem.

So, amazingly, I'm not that fussed by this practice.  If it turns out that Caruso is flat out lying and misleading well that's pretty rotten. Just telling kids they don't cut it when they don't. I won't knock that.

And with that, time to get organized for Sea World.  It's the last day of theme parks. Thank God.

+k

Well said.

Anyone find a letter?
The last shall be first and the shall be.......

sjusection105

Quote from: ron doney on January 18, 2013, 01:04:28 AM
I just sent someone an email that pretty well summarizes my position on Caruso-gate:

I suspect this really isn't that outrageous in the end. If he's actually promising spots and then pulling the rug, well that's no good.  But the way kids are raised now days, they have massively inflated egos and vastly over estimate their value. When they hit a competitive situation and don't cut it, they tend to look for external excuses rather than facing the music. And parents aren't helping much in that area either with all the self esteem support etc. If there is one thing the current generation of kids lack, it sure isn't high self esteem.

So, amazingly, I'm not that fussed by this practice.  If it turns out that Caruso is flat out lying and misleading well that's pretty rotten. Just telling kids they don't cut it when they don't. I won't knock that.

And with that, time to get organized for Sea World.  It's the last day of theme parks. Thank God.

+k

Well said.

Anyone find a letter?
Ahhh, with 63 posts, you don't have +K ability.... just sayin'  ::)
So I +K'd Oz for you  ;)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjusection105 on January 18, 2013, 05:31:16 AM
Quote from: ron doney on January 18, 2013, 01:04:28 AM

+k

Well said.

Anyone find a letter?
Ahhh, with 63 posts, you don't have +K ability.... just sayin'  ::)
So I +K'd Oz for you  ;)

Thx 105. The fact that I'm making an argument to the benefit of Caruso and to the delight of the Tommie faithful has me questioning my whole existence. Case in point, RD had no idea he couldn't karmalize. I'm questioning everything.
[  

Johnnie Red

Another very nice article about Denis McDonough in the Star Tribune this morning. It highlights his deep state roots in Minnesota and that he "carves out time each year for students at St. Ben's and St. John's Washington, D.C., summer study program. One of the annual highlights is a McDonough-led tour of the White House, including a visit to the fabled Situation Room."

"Professors at St. John's remember him as a brilliant, diligent student. College buddies and former co-workers praise his tenacity, humanity and understated humor." "When McDonough's college football coach, John Gagliardi, announced his retirement in the fall, a commendation from the White House praised his six-decade career."

repete

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 17, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
Duff; next burger trip... Sydney?

Some joint up there has just started selling the "Coat of Arms" burger, also called the kangemu.  It's made from kangaroo and emu, both of which are on the Aussie coat of arms.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/kangemu-burger-some-just-love-the-taste-but-others-go-hopping-mad/story-fneuz8zj-1226556148786

Love that beet root!

tmerton

Oz, living out on the left coast (Marin County no less), in the kingdom of self-indulgence and over-protection, I figured I should be in complete harmony with this.  Yet I struggle to think of a kid or parent on my son's high school team that fits what you describe, much less any of the players and parents I got to know during his years playing at SJU.  And frankly I doubt the kids at UST are much different (although, obviously, as Tommies they suck).  And re-reading hazzben's post that started this, I don't think you're really addressing the situation as he describes it (assuming he's not totally distorting things, which has never been his MO in my experience).  So, while I don't want to begrudge you your rant, it doesn't relate to anything I experienced at that level or, as I see it, what hazzben describes.  And as for what hazzben describes, if Caruso actively recruited a kid, then he darn well should have laid out for the kid at the time he recruited him how they operate the program, including that not all freshmen are invited to fall practice.  The responsibility for that is on the school.

AO

Quote from: tmerton on January 18, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

Oz, living out on the left coast (Marin County no less), in the kingdom of self-indulgence and over-protection, I figured I should be in complete harmony with this.  Yet I struggle to think of a kid or parent on my son's high school team that fits what you describe, much less any of the players and parents I got to know during his years playing at SJU.  And frankly I doubt the kids at UST are much different (although, obviously, as Tommies they suck).  And re-reading hazzben's post that started this, I don't think you're really addressing the situation as he describes it (assuming he's not totally distorting things, which has never been his MO in my experience).  So, while I don't want to begrudge you your rant, it doesn't relate to anything I experienced at that level or, as I see it, what hazzben describes.  And as for what hazzben describes, if Caruso actively recruited a kid, then he darn well should have laid out for the kid at the time he recruited him how they operate the program, including that not all freshmen are invited to fall practice.  The responsibility for that is on the school.
I would think the coach of your son's team might have a few stories that most parents wouldn't hear about.  The inflated egos seems to be especially evident in D3 as kids aren't motivated to stay on the team by the paycheck (scholarship) they are earning.  There are 15 freshmen on the Johnnies Basketball roster but only 3 seniors.  Last year there were only 2 seniors.  There are certainly a lot of other factors that account for this fallout, but most kids will work around those factors if they can start.

repete

My rec room/d3 man cave now has the look of the Hawthorn Hawks Fan Shop, thanks to our board's own wonder from Down Under. Thanks, Oz.  I'll be wearing/flying the colors proudly. I might need to alter my pooch-walking route to include a couple of Aussie homes in the hood ... just to see if I can get a rise out of them!

OzJohnnie

No worries, repete. It was a pleasure.

Temerton; your words are wise and the weigh heavily. I'm still inclined to wait before I believe.  What a kid who has been knocked back thinks is recruiting and what an reasonable observer would think is recruiting would be far apart, I think. If Caruso is doing the dirty on people then it won't be long and a chorus of legitimate gripes will ring forth. I fully expect this to happen, by the way, it just isn't happening yet.
[  

OzJohnnie

They say that Queensland is beautiful one day, perfect the next. I can't figure out which day this morning is. What a great day.

[  

HSCTiger74

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 19, 2013, 03:19:21 PM
They say that Queensland is beautiful one day, perfect the next. I can't figure out which day this morning is. What a great day.

Oz, you're a cruel man to post this pic on the MIAC board in the middle of January.    :D
TANSTAAFL

tmerton

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 18, 2013, 07:11:18 PM

Temerton; your words are wise and the weigh heavily. I'm still inclined to wait before I believe.  What a kid who has been knocked back thinks is recruiting and what an reasonable observer would think is recruiting would be far apart, I think. If Caruso is doing the dirty on people then it won't be long and a chorus of legitimate gripes will ring forth. I fully expect this to happen, by the way, it just isn't happening yet.

I have no specific knowledge of UST's recruiting or what hazzben claims to be their over-recruiting, so I'm making no claim there.  As for what constitutes recruiting, I went through the process as the father of a young man who was recruited by programs from D-1 through D-3.  There are mass mailings, invitations to camps, invitations to games, coaches trolling through the high schools and lots of other stuff that is part of recruiting in the generic sense but isn't what I would consider a specific effort to get a player to attend your school, which is what I think is at issue here.  And it may be more difficult in D-3 since there are no scholarships, as such (ahem).  But if the head coach gets involved in trying to get the kid's commitment to attend the school, I have no doubt that that is a recruited player.  Believe me, the player and the parents know when it's the case.

As for waiting for the "chorus of legitimate gripes," well, good luck on that.  The SEC, including Nick Saban, has been over-recruiting for years but no one really cares, notwithstanding the kids that get their scholarships pulled simply because they didn't turn out to be as big, or fast, or good as the coaches originally thought.  Nobody (but the kids and their families) really cares, and I suspect people care even less at the D-3 level.

Oh, and AO, I'm not talking about attrition as kids go through the years in school.  That there are 2 or 3 seniors on the Saint John's basketball team means exactly bupkis in this discussion.

AO

Quote from: tmerton on January 19, 2013, 04:50:20 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 18, 2013, 07:11:18 PM

I have no specific knowledge of UST's recruiting or what hazzben claims to be their over-recruiting, so I'm making no claim there.  As for what constitutes recruiting, I went through the process as the father of a young man who was recruited by programs from D-1 through D-3.  There are mass mailings, invitations to camps, invitations to games, coaches trolling through the high schools and lots of other stuff that is part of recruiting in the generic sense but isn't what I would consider a specific effort to get a player to attend your school, which is what I think is at issue here.  And it may be more difficult in D-3 since there are no scholarships, as such (ahem).  But if the head coach gets involved in trying to get the kid's commitment to attend the school, I have no doubt that that is a recruited player.  Believe me, the player and the parents know when it's the case.

As for waiting for the "chorus of legitimate gripes," well, good luck on that.  The SEC, including Nick Saban, has been over-recruiting for years but no one really cares, notwithstanding the kids that get their scholarships pulled simply because they didn't turn out to be as big, or fast, or good as the coaches originally thought.  Nobody (but the kids and their families) really cares, and I suspect people care even less at the D-3 level.

Oh, and AO, I'm not talking about attrition as kids go through the years in school.  That there are 2 or 3 seniors on the Saint John's basketball team means exactly bupkis in this discussion.
The small number of seniors through has everything to do with this discussion, as the same principle of entitlement and ego is a critical factor.  In D-3, you don't really know who is going to come to your school until just before camp begins.  There's no signing day.  The incoming freshmen that come to St. Thomas understand the competition involved.  Not being invited to pre-season camp doesn't mean you can't prove yourself once class starts and you start practicing.  Before convicting Caruso, I'd like to hear a specific lie or at least the name of a known "victim".

retagent

On to the Coachella Valley for some wamth and golf.