FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 18, 2012, 01:57:33 PM
Over 6,000 on Friday night -- best attendance there's been in a few years. I think UWW/MTU repeating suppressed attendance far more than anything else.

Kind of surprised it took this long before LD11 did his Salem-hater thing for this season. :)

I'll tell you what.  I am willing to pick up any Salem residents who want to go to the Stagg Bowl on my way to Miami Beach for the 1st annual 2015 NCAA football smorgasbord free of charge.  LD has shotgun so they will have to sit in the back.

PBR...

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on December 18, 2012, 02:04:06 PM
Over 6,000 on Friday night -- best attendance there's been in a few years. I think UWW/MTU repeating suppressed attendance far more than anything else.

Kind of surprised it took this long before LD11 did his Salem-hater thing for this season. :)

I'll tell you what.  I am willing to pick up any Salem residents who want to go to the Stagg Bowl on my way to Miami Beach for the 1st annual 2015 NCAA football smorgasbord free of charge.  LD has shotgun so they will have to sit in the back.

Would make the pro scouts happy in having to go to only 1 spot to see the top players from each division in a weekend play....

lewdogg11

I don't hate Salem.  I don't recall expressing hatred for Salem in the past either...but it's Salem VA!!!  I've never even heard of Salem VA with the exception of it being where the Stagg Bowl is.  There's nothing cool about it.  There's no real reason for d3 fans to go unless their team is playing.  And the field/stadium isn't very impressive on TV.  Not that this is a huge factor for d3 football, but to non-d3 followers, it is less impressive than the HS games they show on ESPN during the season.

Pat Coleman

Obviously I know this is facetious but the issue is not the Salem residents who want to go (though several thousand did this year). Rather, it's the general D-III fans who want to go but won't because it's not within driving distance.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 18, 2012, 04:54:26 PM

Obviously I know this is facetious but the issue is not the Salem residents who want to go (though several thousand did this year). Rather, it's the general D-III fans who want to go but won't because it's not within driving distance.

We there are plenty other Salems to choose from, if they like the name:...

Salem, Alabama
Salem, Arkansas
Salem, Fulton County, Arkansas
Salem, Saline County, Arkansas
Salem, Connecticut
Salem, Georgia
Salem, Illinois
Salem, Indiana
Salem, Iowa
Salem, Kentucky
Salem, Massachusetts
Salem, Maryland
Salem, Nebraska
Salem, New Hampshire
Salem, New Jersey
Salem, New Mexico
Salem, New York
Salem, North Carolina
Salem, Massachusetts
Salem, Missouri
Salem, Ohio
Salem, Oklahoma
Salem, Oregon
Salem, South Carolina
Salem, South Dakota
Salem, Utah
Salem, Virginia
Salem (Virginia Beach), Virginia
Salem, West Virginia
Salem, Wisconsin
Salem, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Salem, Pierce County, Wisconsin

(I took the liberty of crossing off Salem New Jersey)...that may be the one place on the east coast thats WORSE than Chester Pa... ::)

lewdogg11

Doesn't Days of Our Lives take place in Salem?  They should do it there.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: LewDogg11 on December 18, 2012, 05:25:06 PM

Did someone mention Stagg Bowl...........?

Yanks 99

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on December 18, 2012, 08:58:22 PM
Quote from: LewDogg11 on December 18, 2012, 05:25:06 PM

Did someone mention Stagg Bowl...........?

Be careful...Stefano Dimera would rig the games...
Hartwick College 2007 Empire 8 Champions

Jonny Utah

I'm not worried about Stefano. 

Newly appointed Stagg Bowl Director Victor Kiriakis speaks with the NCAA over new security guidelines

Yanks 99

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on December 19, 2012, 09:35:52 AM
I'm not worried about Stefano. 

Newly appointed Stagg Bowl Director Victor Kiriakis speaks with the NCAA over new security guidelines

I hate Victor...he is soooo smug....
Hartwick College 2007 Empire 8 Champions

pumkinattack

My mother used to (pretty sure she still does) watch this show.  Didn't Victor have a hot blonde for a daughter? 

Edit:  Just found the website.  While the daughter is pretty hot, I happen to be a bigger fan of this one:  http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/about/bio/cast/kate-mansi/586199

lewdogg11

I watched Days all through college. Don't judge me.

Frank Rossi

Back to Florida for a minute.  You realize that:

A) It used to be held there, and it looked kind of awkward when it was there -- the warm weather and the lack of D3 schools didn't meld well for the event; and

B) The NCAA placed the Frozen Four (D1 Hockey) in Tampa last year -- again, a state with no D1 men's ice hockey programs -- with disappointing support.

Just because it's Florida does not mean it's a positive draw.  Salem's weather is reasonable (except for the snow in '09), and their facilities are just right for the nature of D3.  Plus, it generally means one less flight for the NCAA each year.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Frank Rossi on December 20, 2012, 07:05:15 AM
Back to Florida for a minute.  You realize that:

A) It used to be held there, and it looked kind of awkward when it was there -- the warm weather and the lack of D3 schools didn't meld well for the event; and

B) The NCAA placed the Frozen Four (D1 Hockey) in Tampa last year -- again, a state with no D1 men's ice hockey programs -- with disappointing support.

Just because it's Florida does not mean it's a positive draw.  Salem's weather is reasonable (except for the snow in '09), and their facilities are just right for the nature of D3.  Plus, it generally means one less flight for the NCAA each year.

That is why you add additional events to boost attentence/interest.

AFCA convention
d2 championship game
FBS sub division championship game
NAIA game
Combine events
all star games (D2 vs d3)
Coaching Clinics
Youth Clinics/games
Flag football youth events
7 vs. 7 HS competitions
HS All American Awards/events
HS All Star Game (US Army All American Bowl)

Be Creative.  I'm not going to a MUC/St. Thomas game no matter where you have it, if that is all you have. 

Desertraider

If the NCAA really wants to save some $$ on travel - why not just have it in Alliance, OH? I mean given the past 20 years its a good bet that someone from VERY NEARBY will be in it and then you only have to have 1 team travel! ;D I don't mind Salem, VA. The stadium isn't bad, neither is the location - and I would rather have that then have them play in a large stadium that looks 90% empty on TV. At least its not in Alabama (has anyone heard of Phenix City?). As far as the other events are concerned - it takes away from it being the D3 Championship Game! It is the ONE time when it is about the D3 schools.

Why not have it in Port Charles? General Hospital is there so any injuries would have top medical care & if the Casadine's decide to reactivate the weather machine (ala the 2009 Stagg Bowl) then Luke & Laura Spencer can ride in and save the day! 8-)
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0